- St Michael and All Angels Church, Headingley
Headingley Parish Church
Parish Church of
St Michael and All Angels
Coordinates: Location Headingley, Leeds,
Country England Denomination Church of England Churchmanship Modern Catholic Website www.st-michaels-headingley.org.uk History Dedication St Michael and All Angels Architecture Architect(s) Pearson Administration Parish Headingley Deanery Headingley Archdeaconry Leeds Diocese Ripon and Leeds Province York Clergy Curate(s) The Revd Dr Kevin Ward
The Revd Dr Clive Barrett
Laity Organist/Director of music William Simpson ARCO ARCM Organist(s) David Walls
Churchwarden(s) Rebecca Crowson
Headingley Parish Church or the Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels in Headingley, a suburban area of the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England is a large Victorian Church of England parish church in the centre of the parish on Otley Road. The church attracts visitors and worshippers from outside the parish and is popular with students.
The parish of Headingley was carved out of the once very large parish of Leeds, which at the time also included the districts of Armley, Beeston, Bramley and Hunslet. The first church was the site was built on land given in about 1620 by Sir John Savile. This church remained in place for 210 years and could hold 200 congregants.
The Industrial Revolution brought population booms to northern England and the population of Headingley increased to 2,000 warranting the creation of a vicarcy in 1849 and the building of a larger, 600-seater, church in 1838 (architect (R D Chantrell).
However, this church was not to last. Further increases in population meant that a new church was needed. Today's church is the third on the site and was consecrated in 1886.
With the growth in the local population a new parish of Far Headingley was created, and St Chad's Church, Far Headingley was built in 1868. The two churches work together, for example by holding early Sunday morning communion services alternately, and both participate in Churches Together in Headingley.
Building and associated buildings
The church was designed by J L Pearson, architect of Truro Cathedral. It was built 1884 1886, and the north porch was added and the spire completed in 1890. It is built of gritstone with a tiled roof, and is Grade II* listed. The church wall and gate piers are Grade II listed.
The Parish Hall was built in 1834 or 1844  as the Headingley National School, and is Grade II listed, as is the former Parochial Institute in Bennett Road, built in 1877 by George Corson and now used as offices.
Worship at the Church is in the liberal catholic tradition of the Church of England, with two of the four Sunday services being sung by the church's choir.
- 08.00 am Holy Communion
- 10.00 am Parish Eucharist
- 12.30 pm Holy Communion
- 06.30 pm Evensong
- 10.30 am Holy Communion
- 08.00 am Holy Communion
Incumbents of Headingley
Period Vicar of Headingley In 1632 The Reverend Robert Dobson BD In 1641 & 1642 The Reverend John Greenwood In 1650 The Reverend Mr Barratt In 1657 Mr. Bates (? Alexander Bate) 1662 -  The Reverend William Robinson MA  - 1675 The Reverend Richard Crashaw BA 1675–1676 The Reverend John Briggs BA 1676–1711 The Reverend Joseph Eammonson MA 1711–1713 The Reverend John Benson MA 1713–1730 The Reverend John Claphamson BA 1730–1732 The Reverend John Murgatroyd MA 1732–1746 The Reverend Samuel Dodgson MA 1746–1764 The Reverend John Moore MA 1764–1769 The Reverend Samuel Disney LLB 1769–1782 The Reverend William Lupton MA 1782 The Reverend Jonathan Colton BA 1782–1836 The Reverend John Smithson MA 1836–1863 The Reverend William Williamson MA 1863–1865 The Reverend William Fox Whitbread Torre MA 1865–1881 The Reverend Henry Tuckwell MA 1881–1913 The Reverend Frederick John Wood MA 1913–1918 The Reverend George Arthur Hollis MA 1918–1933 The Reverend Richard Henry Malden BD 1933–1956 The Reverend Rowland John Wood MA 1956 -  The Reverend Ralph Emmerson BD AKC  - 1981 The Reverend Canon Christopher Luxmore 1981–1991 The Reverend Owen Arnott Conway 1991 -  The Reverend Michael Cross Period Priest in Charge  - 2011 The Reverend Dr David Peat Period Team Rector
- ^ a b Wrathmell, Susan; John Minnis (2005). Leeds. Pevsner architectural guides. Yale U.P.. pp. 246–248. ISBN 0300107366.
- ^ "Images of England: Headingley Parish Hall, St Michael's Road". http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=465241&mode=adv. Retrieved 2008-01-18.
- Church website
- St Michael & All Angels, Headingley at achurchnearyou.com
- Details from listed building database (465404) - Church, Grade II*. Images of England. English Heritage.
- Details from listed building database (465418) - wall and gate piers, Grade II. Images of England. English Heritage.
- Details from listed building database (465241) - Parish Hall, Grade II. Images of England. English Heritage.
- Details from listed building database (465488) - former Parochial Institute, Grade II. Images of England. English Heritage.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
St Michael and All Angels Church — may refer to:*St Michael and All Angels Church, Aston Clinton, Buckinghamshire, England *Church of St Michael and All Angels, Brighton *St Michael and All Angels Church, Galleywood Common, Essex, England *St. Michael and All Angels, Middlewich,… … Wikipedia
Nathaniel Hitch — Nationality English Field Sculpture Training Was sent by Farmer and Brindley to evening classes at Borough Polytechnic before setting out as a journeyman sculptor … Wikipedia
Chad of Mercia — For the 8th century bishop of Hereford, see Ceadda of Hereford. Chad Bishop of York Image of Chad in a stained glass window from Holy Cross Monastery, West Park, New York Diocese … Wikipedia