- Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race
The Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race is an annual 10-lap auto race held each April since
1977as part of the United States Grand Prix West, and later the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach weekend on the street course at Long Beach, California. Since 1991, the event has raised money for "Racing for Kids," a national fund-raising program benefiting children's hospitals in Long Beach and Orange County.
The TPCR pits celebrities against professional racers from various types of motor racing. From its inception until
2005, From 1977 until 2005, the drivers drove showroom stock ToyotaCelicas. Since 2006, the Scion tCis the car used in the race. Celebrity contestants range from Hollywood's "A" List elite, to budding young stars and starlets, to professional sports figures, to local Southern California televisionand radiopersonalities and selected Toyota dealers. One seat is put up for auction where the high bidder at an auction will also participate the race. Often, a member of the broadcast team for the feature race will race in the event -- Ken Squier, Paul Page, Jack Arute, and Jamie Little (the 2008 winner) have all participated in the race while broadcasting the feature.
All celebrities are given thorough practice, safety, and training sessions before competing, and thus far, no serious injuries have occurred, despite a large number of crashes throughout the years. Several celebrities who have taken part in the TPCR have taken up auto racing as a part-time hobby or as team owners.
The celebrities receive a 30-second head start to begin the race against the professionals and past champions.
*= overall champion
* Paul Moyer is a news anchor at
KNBC-TV in Los Angeles [http://www.nbc4.tv/news/1277631/detail.html]
* After Amato's win, Grand Prix officials required NHRA drag racers to race as professionals.
* Tom Rudnai is general manager of a local Toyota dealership [http://www.longotoyota.com/en_US/MiscPage_12.chtml]
* For the 20th Anniversary race in 1996, there were no professional drivers.
* After Alfonso Ribeiro won two consecutive races, TGPLB rules required past celebrity winners must race as professionals.
* James (1978) and Josh (2000) Brolin is the only father-son combination to win the celebrity portion of the event. However, Josh had the distinction of being an overall winner, unlike his father.
* The Unsers and the Jones are the only father-son combination to win the Pro portion of the event, with Parnelli Jones winning multiple times.
*Three times, the play-by-play announcer for the main event was in the Pro-Celebrity race --
Paul Pagetwice (once raced against his own pit reporter, Jack Arute), and Ken Squierin the early years, when it was the United States Grand Prix West.
* [http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/pro_celeb/history.html All-time statistics at Toyota.com] "Includes a complete listing of everyone who has ever competed in the event."
* [http://www.gplb.com/raceInfo.html#celebrity Official TPCR website]
* [http://www.sportshollywood.com/longbeach.html SportsHollywood.com article about the TPCR]
* [http://clantongang.com/oldwest/tgplb2002.html Photos from the 2002 race]
* [http://entertainment.msn.com/photos/gallery.aspx?gallery=7499 Photos of practice sessions for the 2005 race]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Toyota Celica — Infobox Automobile name = Toyota Celica manufacturer = Toyota production = 1970 2005 predecessor = Toyota 2000GT successor = Scion tC class = Sports car Sport compact Coupé body style = similar = The Toyota Celica name has been applied to a… … Wikipedia
Long Beach Grand Prix — Infobox Indycar race Name = Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Track Venue = Streets of Long Beach, California Time = UTC 5 (UTC 4 DST) Sponsor = Toyota First race = 1975 First IRL race = 2009 Distance = 1.968 miles Laps = TBA Previous names =… … Wikipedia
Long Beach, California — This article is about the city of Long Beach, California. For its metropolitan area, see Los Angeles metropolitan area. Long Beach City Images from top, left … Wikipedia
Beccy Gordon — is an American off road racer, pit reporter, and model.Racing familyBeccy Gordon was born in the off road racing Gordon family. Beccy’s great grandfather, Huntly Gordon, raced Indy cars in the early 1900s and even at the Indianapolis Motor… … Wikipedia
David Henrie — in 2010 Born David Clayton Henrie July 11, 1989 (1989 07 11) (age 22) Mission Viejo, California … Wikipedia
Генри, Дэвид — В Википедии есть статьи о других людях с такой фамилией, см. Генри. Дэвид Генри англ. David Clayton Henrie … Википедия
Frankie Muniz — Infobox actor imagesize = caption = Francisco Frankie Muniz IV, November 2007 birthdate = birth date and age|1985|12|5 birthname = Francisco Muniz IV birthplace = Wood Ridge, New Jersey, USA yearsactive = 2000 ─ present academyawards = emmyawards … Wikipedia
Scion tC — Infobox Automobile name = Scion tC layout = FF layout manufacturer = Scion parent company = Toyota Motor Corporation production = 2005–present predecessor = Toyota Celica class = Compact body style = 2 door hatchback assembly = Tsutsumi, Japan… … Wikipedia
Clay Regazzoni — Born 5 September 1939(1939 09 05) Died 15 December 2006(2006 12 15) (aged … Wikipedia
Sean Patrick Flanery — Infobox actor imagesize = 150px name =Sean Patrick Flanery birthname =Sean Patrick Flanery birthdate =birth date and age|1965|10|11 birthplace =Lake Charles, Louisiana, U.S. deathdate = deathplace = yearsactive =1992 Present homepage… … Wikipedia