- University of California, Davis Arboretum
The University of California, Davis, Arboretum is an approximately convert|100|acre|km2|sing=on or .40 square km ( [http://mediterraneangardensociety.org/gardens/uc.davis.arboretum.html] )
arboretumalong the banks of Putah Creek, at the south side of the University of California, Daviscampus in Davis, California, USA. It is open during daylight hours with free admission.
Established in 1936, the Arboretum contains 3.5 miles (5.6 km) of paved paths and more than 4,000 varieties of plants and trees adapted to the Mediterranean climate, cool, wet winters and hot dry summer, typical of much of California. Temperatures in Davis range from 14 to 118 °F (-10 to 48 °C), and average rainfall is only 19 inches (483 mm) per year.
Plants in the Arboretum are arranged in gardens that represent different geographic areas, plant groups, horticultural themes, or historical periods:
* The Arboretum Terrace is a demonstration garden for California's Central Valley.
* The Mary Wattis Brown Garden of California Native Plants includes drought-tolerant species suitable for landscape plantings as well as a number of rare and endangered plants. It showcases California wild lilac (
Ceanothus) and a planting of native bunchgrasses.
* The Ruth Risdon Storer Garden features flowering perennials and small shrubs suited to central valley gardens.
* The Carolee Shields White Flower Garden is a theme garden based on medieval moon-viewing gardens of India and Japan. With its curving paths framing a vine-covered gazebo, the garden is a popular site for weddings and other events. Many of the plants here are fragrant, and their pale flowers are particularly luminous by moonlight.
* More than 80 kinds of
oaks are collected in the Peter J. Shields Oak Grove, including a fine collection of oaks native to the western United States. Other important collections include conifers and acacias.
* The Mediterranean Collection features plants native to the
Mediterraneanbasin, arrayed around a scenic lagoon. This section is noted for its collection of medicinal and culinary herbs. It also features plants from South Africa, Australia, the Southwestern United States, Mexico, and Chile.
* The Redwood Memorial Grove is one of the largest collections of
Sequoiasempervirens, the coast redwood, outside its native range. Other native plants, including several 200-year-old Valley oaks ( Quercuslobata), are found in the California Foothill Collection.
* The Early California Garden represents a garden from the rancho period, roughly 1840-1860, when California was part of Mexico and plants from Europe, Asia, and Central America were introduced into Californian gardens.
List of botanical gardens in the United States
California native plants
* [http://arboretum.ucdavis.edu/ UC Davis Arboretum website]
* on the Davis Wiki
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
University of California, Davis — Motto Fiat lux (Latin) Motto in English Let there be light Established … Wikipedia
University of California, Berkeley — Seal of the University of California, Berkeley Motto Latin: Fiat Lux Motto in English Let There Be Light … Wikipedia
University of California, Irvine School of Law — Parent school University of California Established 2008 School type Public Dean Erwin Chemerinsky Location Irvine, California, US Enrollme … Wikipedia
University of California, Santa Cruz — UCSC redirects here. For University of Colombo s School of Computing, see University of Colombo School of Computing. University of California, Santa Cruz Motto Fiat lux (Latin) Motto in English Let there be light … Wikipedia
Davis, California — City of Davis City Downtown Davis … Wikipedia
California State University, Sacramento — Infobox University name = California State University, Sacramento motto = Leadership Begins Here established = 1947 type = Public president= Alexander Gonzalez provost= Joseph Sheley city = Sacramento state = California country = U.S. undergrad … Wikipedia
California Polytechnic State University — This article is about the university in San Luis Obispo, California. For Cal Poly Pomona in Pomona, California, see California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. California Polytechnic State University Motto Discere Faciendo (Latin) … Wikipedia
California Polytechnic State University — Université d État polytechnique de Californie Université d État polytechnique de Californie Devise Discere Faciendo ( Apprendre en faisant ) Nom original California Polytechnic State University Informations Fondation 1901 Type Publique Budget… … Wikipédia en Français
University of Maryland, College Park — University of Maryland redirects here. For other uses, see University of Maryland (disambiguation). Coordinates: 38°59′15.0″N 76°56′24.0″W / 38.9875°N 76.94°W … Wikipedia
California State University, Fullerton — Motto Vox Veritas Vita (Latin) Motto in English Voice, Truth and Life Established 1957 … Wikipedia