- Costa Luminosa
Costa Luminosa in Magdalenefjorden, Spitsbergen
Career Name: Costa Luminosa Owner: Carnival Corporation & plc Port of registry: Italy, Genoa Ordered: 12 June 2006 Builder: Fincantieri, Marghera, Italy Cost: €450 Million Yard number: 6155 Laid down: 10 October 2007 Launched: 30 June 2008 Christened: 5 June 2009 In service: 5 May 2009 Identification: Call sign: ICGU
IMO number: 9398905
MMSI no.: 247257900
Status: Operational Notes:  General characteristics Class and type: Hybrid design based on the Vista and Spirit class cruise ships Tonnage: 92,700 GT
Length: 292 m (958 ft) Beam: 32.3 m (106 ft) Decks: 12 Speed: 22.6 knots (41.9 km/h) Capacity: 2,260 passengers Notes: 
Costa Luminosa is a cruise ship, owned and operated by Costa Cruises. Costa Luminosa entered service on May 5, 2009. The ship's design is a Hybrid, taking the best elements of Spirit-class and Vista-class cruise ships. A sister ship, Costa Deliziosa was launched in February 2010 and is based on the same design. Costa Luminosa departed Civitavecchia, Italy on June 3, 2009, on her 13-night maiden voyage, with ports of call in Savona, St. Tropez, Barcelona, Lisbon, Le Havre and Amsterdam.
Concept and construction
Costa Luminosa is the thirteenth ship of Costa Cruises, part of their five-ship expansion program, which include Costa Pacifica, Costa Deliziosa, Costa Favolosa and Costa Fascinosa. Costa Luminosa and her sister ship, Costa Deliziosa, was ordered in the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard on 12 June 2006. The two ships have a gross tonnage (GT) of 92,700 tons and are 292 metres (958.01 ft) long. The keel of Costa Luminosa was laid on 10 October 2007 in the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice. She floated out of drydock in 30 June 2008 and completed her sea trials on 30 March 2009. At a period of 18 months, the ship was handed over to Costa Cruises in 1 May 2009.
Costa Luminosa and Costa Deliziosa pioneered in the introduction of a new vessel design, which is a Hybrid; taking the best design elements of Spirit-class and Vista-class cruise ships.
The christening of Costa Luminosa, and her sister ship, Costa Pacifica was held in Genoa on June 5, 2009. It was the first time that two ships were simultaneously christened, not only for Costa but also in the world. With this, the dual christening ceremony set a Guinness World record in the category, "Most ships inaugurated in one day by one company". The two ships also launched simultaneously in their shipyard in 5 June 2008; Costa Luminosa in Marghera and Costa Pacifica in Sestri Ponente.
Innovations included are the Samsara Spa, a two-level, 3,500 m (11,500 ft) wellness facility with gym, a thalassotherapy pool, treatment rooms, sauna, Turkish bath and UVA ray solarium; a retractable glass dome and poolside screen at the pool deck; a Grand Prix race car simulator, an 18-hole championship golf simulator and a PlayStation World area, where PS3 consoles are offered. The ship has a three-level theater and a 4D cinema.
The ship has 1,130 staterooms, 662 have private balconies and 52 spa staterooms, as well as 106 suites, and 4 spa suites. Eleven bars, including a cigar lounge and a coffee and chocolate bar; four restaurants including the Club Luminosa and Samsara restaurants, which both have additional charges and are reservations only.
She started her first versinnage cruise on 5 May 2009, a 10-day cruise in the Eastern Mediterranean, departing Venice, with ports of call at Istanbul, Bari, Olympia, Rhodes, Smyrna, Mykonos and Athens. It was followed by mini cruises in Eastern Mediterranean, again departing Venice on 15 May 2009. Her second versinnage cruise was on 19 May 2009. In Summer 2009, the ship offered 11 and 14-day cruises at the Baltic capitals, Norwegian Fjords and the North Cape. During the 2009-2010 winter season, the ship operates in Dubai, offering 7-day cruises in the Persian Gulf with calls at Dubai, Muscat, Fujairah, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain.
- Spirit class - a similar class of Panamax ships operated by Carnival Cruise Lines.
- Radiance class - a similar class of Panamax ships operated by Royal Caribbean International
- MV Arcadia - a similar Panamax ship operated by P&O Cruises.
- MS Queen Victoria - a similar Panamax sized ship operated by Cunard Line.
- Vista class cruise ship - a similar class of Panamax ships operated by Holland America Line
- "Signature class" cruise ship - a similar class of Panamax ships operated by Holland America Line
- Coral Princess and Island Princess - A similar set of Panamax ships operated by Princess Cruises
- Costa Deliziosa - A Panamax ships operated by Costa Cruises derived from the Spirit Class and Vista Class designs. Sister ship to Costa Luminosa
- ^ a b "Costa Luminosa delivered by Fincantieri at Marghera shipyard". Cruise Industry News. 1 May 2009. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2669-5109-costa-luminosa-delivered-by-fincantieri-at-marghera-shipyard.html. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- ^ a b Asklander, Micke. "M/S Costa Lumiosa (2009)" (in Swedish). Fakta om Fartyg. http://www.faktaomfartyg.nu/costa_luminosa_2009.htm. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- ^ Boyle, Ian. "Costa Luminosa (2009- )". Simplon Postcards. http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CostaNewShips.html#anchor1593523. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- ^ a b "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Carnival Splendor". VesselTracker. 2011. http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Carnival-Splendor-9333163.html. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- ^ "Luminosa joins Costa fleet". Cruise Business Review. 2009-05-15. http://cruisebusiness.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=411:luminosa-joins-costa-fleet&catid=52:gallery&Itemid=28. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- ^ "Costa unveils its '09 voyages on more than 100 different itineraries aboard 14 ships". Cruise Industry News. 19 February 2008. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/1040-21908-costa-unveils-its-09-voyages-on-more-than-100-different-itineraries-aboard-14-ships.html. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- ^ "Maxi Order for Two Ships From Costa Crociere" (Press release). Fincantieri. 12 June 2006. http://www.fincantieri.it/cms/data/browse/news/000064.aspx. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- ^ "Keel is laid for Costa Luminosa at Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard". Cruise Industry News. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/767-101007-keel-is-laid-for-costa-luminosa-at-fincantieris-maghera-shipyard.html. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- ^ "Costa Luminosa and Pacifica getting ready for their record-breaking debut". Cruise Industry News. 30 March 2009. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2521-33009-costa-luminosa-a-pacifica-getting-ready-for-their-record-breaking-debut.html. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- ^ "Costa and Fincantieri: 2 ships launched simultaneously". Cruise Industry News. 30 June 2008. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/1381-63008-costa-a-fincantieri-2-ships-launched-simultaneously.html. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- ^ "Costa presents a Guinness World Record event on June 5 with simultaneous christening". Cruise Industry News. 18 May 2009. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2731-51809-costa-presents-a-guinness-world-record-event-on-june-5-with-simultaneous-christening.html. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- ^ a b "Costa Luminosa". Costa Cruises. http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Shopping/Ships/LU/Default.htm. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- ^ a b c "Costa Luminosa to be delivered". Cruise Industry News. 30 April 2009. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2662-43009-costa-luminosa-to-be-delivered.html. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
Ships of the Costa Cruises Fleet Current Ships Future Ships Vista class cruise ships and derived designs Original Vista class Enlarged Vista class Signature class Hybrid Vista/Spirit classCosta Luminosa · Costa Deliziosa Spirit class cruise ships and derived designs Original Spirit Class Hybrid Spirit/Vista ClassCosta Luminosa · Costa Deliziosa
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Costa Luminosa — vor Saint Tropez während ihrer Taufkreuzfahrt p1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Costa Luminosa — Costa Luminosa … Википедия
Costa Luminosa — Le Costa Luminosa Autres noms Ms Costa Luminosa Type Navire de croisière Histoire Lancement … Wikipédia en Français
Costa Deliziosa — in Helsinki, Finland Career Name: Costa Deliziosa … Wikipedia
Costa Pacifica — moored at Katakolo, Greece Career Name: Costa Pacifica … Wikipedia
Costa Pacifica — p1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Costa (compagnie) — Costa Croisières Pour les articles homonymes, voir Costa. Logo de Costa Croisières Création … Wikipédia en Français
Costa Croisiere — Costa Croisières Pour les articles homonymes, voir Costa. Logo de Costa Croisières Création … Wikipédia en Français
Costa Croisière — Costa Croisières Pour les articles homonymes, voir Costa. Logo de Costa Croisières Création … Wikipédia en Français
Costa Cruises — Costa Croisières Pour les articles homonymes, voir Costa. Logo de Costa Croisières Création … Wikipédia en Français