Uninflected word

Uninflected word

In the context of linguistic morphology, an uninflected word is a word that has no morphological markers (inflection) such as affixes, ablaut, consonant gradation, etc., indicating declension or conjugation. If a word has an uninflected form, this is usually the form used as the lemma for the word.

In English and many other languages, uninflected words include prepositions, interjections and conjunctions, often called invariable words. These cannot be inflected under any circumstances (unless they are used as different parts of speech, as in "ifs and buts", or "humming and hawing").

Only words which cannot be inflected at all should be called "uninflected" or "invariable", but in common usage these terms can be extended to words that appear in their basic form. For example, English nouns are said to be uninflected in the singular, while they show inflection in the plural (represented by the affix "-s/-es").

In the strict sense, only English mass nouns (such as "sand", "information", or "equipment") are truly uninflected, since they have only one form that does not change; count nouns are always inflected for number, even if the singular inflection is shown by an "invisible" affix (the null morpheme). In the same way, English verbs are inflected for person and tense even if the morphology showing those categories is realized as null morphemes. In contrast, other analytic languages like Mandarin Chinese have true uninflected nouns and verbs, where the notions of number and tense are completely absent. The term "uninflected" can also be restricted to one or more morphological features; for example, one can say that Japanese verbs are uninflected for person and number, but they do inflect for tense, politeness, and several moods and aspects.

In many inflected languages, such as Greek and Russian, some nouns and adjectives of foreign origin are left uninflected in contexts where native words would be inflected; for instance, the name "Abraam" in Greek (from Hebrew), the Modern Greek word μπλε "ble" (from French "bleu"), the Italian word "computer", and the Russian words _ru. кенгуру, "kenguru" (kangaroo) and _ru. пальто, "pal'to" (coat, from French "paletot").

In German all modal particles are uninflected.

ee also

* Grammatical particle
* Lemma (linguistics)
* Null morpheme

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Function word — Function words (or grammatical words) are words that have little lexical meaning or have ambiguous meaning, but instead serve to express grammatical relationships with other words within a sentence, or specify the attitude or mood of the speaker …   Wikipedia

  • closed-class word — noun a word that is uninflected and serves a grammatical function but has little identifiable meaning • Syn: ↑function word • Hypernyms: ↑word • Hyponyms: ↑determiner, ↑determinative, ↑preposition, ↑ …   Useful english dictionary

  • function word — noun a word that is uninflected and serves a grammatical function but has little identifiable meaning • Syn: ↑closed class word • Hypernyms: ↑word • Hyponyms: ↑determiner, ↑determinative, ↑preposition, ↑ …   Useful english dictionary

  • One (word) — One is a common word in the English language. It can mean either the number 1 or be used as a pronoun.EtymologyThe Old English án is in Old Frisian ân, ên, Old Saxon ên (Middle Dutch, Dutch een ), Old High German (Middle High German, German) ein …   Wikipedia

  • Grammatical particle — In linguistics, the term particle is a word lacking a strict definition but has the function of changing the relation of the parts of the sentence to one another, and is therefore called a function word. It does not change its form by adding… …   Wikipedia

  • Inflection — In grammar, inflection or inflexion is the way language handles grammatical relations and relational categories such as tense, mood, voice, aspect, person, number, gender, case. In covert inflection, such categories are not overtly expressed.… …   Wikipedia

  • Lemma (linguistics) — In linguistics a lemma (plural lemmas or lemmata ) has two distinct interpretations: # morphology / lexicography: the canonical form or citation form of a set of forms (headword); e.g. in English, run , runs , ran and running are forms of the… …   Wikipedia

  • Lemma (morphology) — In morphology and lexicography, a lemma (plural lemmas or lemmata) is the canonical form, dictionary form, or citation form of a set of words (headword). In English, for example, run, runs, ran and running are forms of the same lexeme, with run… …   Wikipedia

  • Syntax — Syntactic redirects here. For another meaning of the adjective, see Syntaxis. For other uses, see Syntax (disambiguation). Linguistics …   Wikipedia

  • Standard Hindi — Hindi redirects here. For other uses, see Hindi (disambiguation). Standard Hindi मानक हिन्दी Mānak Hindī …   Wikipedia