- Kwang Jo Choi
Kwang Jo Choi Born March 2, 1942
Residence Atlanta, Georgia, USA Style Choi Kwang Do, Taekwondo Teacher(s) Dong Ju Lee Rank 9th dan (CKD) Website http://www.choikwang-do.com/
Choi Kwang Jo (born March 2, 1942) is a former South Korean national champion in taekwondo, and is one of the twelve original masters of taekwondo of the Korea Taekwon-Do Association. Following a career in the South Korean military, he emigrated to the United States of America in 1970. Choi is the founder and head of the Choi Kwang Do international martial art organization, with headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
Choi was born on March 2, 1942, in Daegu, Korea, which was under Japanese control at the time. He started training in the martial arts at the age of 12 because his father was concerned—he wanted his small, physically weak son to be able to protect himself in the war-torn streets. Choi's first master was Dong Ju Lee. During his military service, Choi became a chief Instructor in the 20th Infantry Division and came into contact with General H. H. Choi when the military began to use taekwondo for unarmed combat.
Due to injuries sustained from his martial arts training he sought medical attention in the United States of America, moving in 1970, and began to study different physical therapy techniques. As a result, he began to study anatomy, physiology, and human-movement sciences.
In 1987, Choi incorporated everything he had learned into his own martial art system called Choi Kwang Do, which translates as “the art (or method) of Kwang Choi.” Choi maintains that Choi Kwang Do is free from the mysticisms of traditional martial arts, yet he advertises that his art practises yoga-based stretching. Choi heads the Choi Kwang Do organization from Atlanta and was inducted into the Tae Kwon Do Times magazine's Hall of Fame in 2006. One notable critic of Choi is Roger Koo. Since resigning from the post of Vice President under Choi's organization in 1991, Koo has remained a staunch opponent. Koo dedicates a large portion of his website to disparaging Choi and his organization.
- International Taekwon-Do Federation
- List of taekwondo grandmasters
- ^ Choi, H. H. (1972): Taekwon-Do: The Korean art of self-defence. Mississauga: International Taekwon-Do Federation.
- ^ A tribute to the original masters (c. 2007). Retrieved on 13 June 2007; link has expired, as at 1 July 2011.
- ^ Clifton, P. (1991): Choi Kwang-Do's Grandmaster Choi answers to Combat Combat Magazine (January 1991). Retrieved on 22 January 2010.
- ^ Lasky, Steve (April 17, 1986). "The art of self-confidence – Master KwangChoi is spreading the gospel of his fresh approach to the - martial arts". The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution.
- ^ Choi Kwang Do Martial Art International: Grand Master Kwang Jo Choi Retrieved on 22 February 2009.
- ^ Choi Kwang Do Brown's Bay: About Grandmaster Kwang Jo Choi Retrieved on 22 January 2010.
- ^ Choi Kwang Do Kirwan Retrieved on 7 May 2008.
- ^ "Grandmaster Kwang Jo Choi confirms visit to New Zealand (Press Release)". Scoop. December 27, 2007. http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0712/S00325.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- ^ Koo Self Defense Retrieved on 3 February 2009.
- ^ Choi, C. K. (2007): Tae Kwon Do Pioneers Retrieved on 15 March 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Choi Kwang-Do — Also known as CKD Focus Striking Country of origin … Wikipedia
Choi (Korean name) — Choi Family name Pronunciation Ch oe, Tchoi, Chye Meaning top, most Region of origin North and South Korea Language(s) of origin Korean … Wikipedia
Choi Tae-Uk — This is a Korean name; the family name is Choi. Choi Tae Uk Personal information Full name Choi Tae Uk Date of birth … Wikipedia
Choi Sung-Kuk — This is a Korean name; the family name is Choi. Choi Sung Kuk Personal information … Wikipedia
Choi Won-Kwon — This is a Korean name; the family name is Choi. Choi Won Kwon Personal information Full name Choi Won Kwon Date of birth … Wikipedia
Choi Dok-sin — Koreanische Schreibweise Siehe auch: Koreanischer Name Hangeul: 최덕신 Hanja: 崔德新 Revidiert: Choe Deok sin McCune R … Deutsch Wikipedia
Choi Duk-shin — Koreanische Schreibweise Siehe auch: Koreanischer Name Hangeul: 최덕신 Hanja: 崔德新 Revidiert: Choe Deok sin McCune R … Deutsch Wikipedia
Choi Kwang-Hee — Personal information Full name Choi Kwang Hee (최광희) Date of birth May 17, 1984 ( … Wikipedia
Choi Kang-Hee (footballer) — Choi Kang Hee Personal information Full name Choi Kang Hee Date of birth April 12, 1959 (19 … Wikipedia
Choi Chung-Min — Personal information Full name Choi Chung Min Date of birth 30 August 1930(1 … Wikipedia