- 1907 VFL season
Infobox Victorian Football League season
year = 1907
imagesize = 120px
caption = Dave McNamara
clubs = 8
home-and-away season = 14 rounds
premiership team = Carlton
count = 2nd
minor premiers = Carlton
mpcount = 2nd
champion of the season =
cclub = St Kilda
top goal kicker = Dick Lee (45)Results and statistics for the Victorian Football League season of 1907.
In 1907, the VFL competition was comprised of eight teams of 18 on-the-field players each, with no "reserves", although any of the 18 players who had left the playing field for any reason could later resume their place on the field at any time during the match.
Each team played each other twice in a home-and-away season of 14 rounds.
Once the 14 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1907 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the amended "Argus" system".
List of Australian Football League premiersfor a complete list."
* The 1907 VFL Premiership team was Carlton.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was Dick Lee of Collingwood with 47 goals.
* "The Argus" newspaper's "Player of the Year", St Kilda's
Dave McNamara, was declared 1907 Champion of the Season.
* Essendon took the "wooden spoon" in 1907.
* The VFL played two inter-provincial matches against Ballarat and Bendigo, winning both matches. It was the first such match against Bendigo.
* Due to the "Special" football train arriving late, the start of the third match between Fitzroy and Geelong at
Brunswick Street Ovalwas delayed by twenty minutes.
* In round 6, St Kilda defeats Melbourne 15.18 (108) to 7.9 (51). It is the first time in VFL competition that St Kilda scores 100 points (this was the club's 173rd VFL game).
* The playing surface in each of the season's Semi-Finals that had been played on the
Melbourne Cricket Ground— South Melbourne v. Collingwood, and Carlton v. St Kilda — had been so rock hard and dusty that the two match winners demanded that the MCG be watered before the next Saturday, unless there was substantial rain, The VFL acquiesced to this request, the ground was watered, and the ensuing Premiership final, which Carlton won by 5 points, was on significantly softer ground.
* In the 1907 VFL and AFL pre-season, in direct defiance of a VFA edict, then VFA team Richmond played a practice match against VFL team Geelong. In October 1907, Richmond no longer comfortable with the VFA, applied to join the VFL. Its application was accepted nine days later, and Richmond competed in the 1908 VFL season, winning its first match.
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1907.html 1907 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.