- 1899 VFL season
Infobox Victorian Football League season
year = 1899
clubs = 8
home-and-away season = 14 rounds
premiership team = Fitzroy
count = 2nd
minor premiers = Fitzroy
mpcount = 1st
top goal kicker =
Eddy James(31)Results and statistics for the Victorian Football League season of 1899.
In 1899, the VFL competition was comprised of eight teams of 18 on-the-field players each, with no "reserves" (although any of the 18 players who had left the playing field for any reason could later resume their place on the field at any time during the match).
Each team played each other twice in a home-and-away season of 14 rounds.
Once the 14 round home-and-away season had finished, the 1899 VFL "Premiers" were determined by the specific format and conventions of the 1898 VFL Premiership System.
ection B ladder
* The 1899 VFL Premiership team was Fitzroy.
* The VFL's leading goalkicker was
Eddy Jamesof Geelong with 31 goals.
* "The Argus" newspaper's "Player of the Year" was Fitzroy's
* St Kilda took the "wooden spoon" in 1899.
* The VFL reduced the size of its teams to 18 on-the-field players, with no "reserves".
* Norman "Hackenschmidt" Clark, a footballer with the North Adelaide Football Club in the South Australian Football Association, wins the 1899, 130-yard
Stawell Giftin eleven and four-fifths seconds, off a handicap of 14 and a half yards. Clark would later play 125 senior games for Carlton (1905-1912), and captain-coach Brighton Football Club(1913), and coach Carlton (1914-1918; 1920-1922), North Melbourne (1924; 1931), Richmond (1919), and St Kilda (1925-1926).
* In the third sectional round, Geelong set records for (a) highest score in a game, scoring 23.24 (162), and (b) winning margin of 161 points, against St Kilda. These records would both stand for twenty years.
Jim McShanekicks 11 goals in the match against St Kilda. A VFL record that was not equalled until Collingwood's Dick Lee's 11 goals in 1914.
* St Kilda's score of 0.1 (1) in the same match set the record for the lowest score in a VFL/AFL game, which has neither been matched nor broken since.
* The third round, "Queen's Birthday" holiday match, between Collingwood and St Kilda at Victoria Park was held in the morning of Wednesday 24 May, 1899.
Warwick Armstrong(6'3", 190cm), later captain of the Australian Test Cricket team, plays in the ruck for the South Melbourne team that lost the 1899 "Grand Final".
* Rogers, S. & Brown, A., "Every Game Ever Played: VFL/AFL Results 1897-1997 (Sixth Edition)", Viking Books, (Ringwood), 1998. ISBN 0-670-90809-6
* Ross, J. (ed), "100 Years of Australian Football 1897-1996: The Complete Story of the AFL, All the Big Stories, All the Great Pictures, All the Champions, Every AFL Season Reported", Viking, (Ringwood), 1996. ISBN 0-670-86814-0
* [http://stats.rleague.com/afl/seas/1899.html 1899 Season - AFL Tables]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
1899 VFA season — The 1899 VFA Premiership was won by the Footscray FC.1899 VFA Top 4*Premiers: Footscray FC *Runners Up: North Melbourne FC *3rd: Port Melbourne FC *4th: Williamstown FCLinks*Victorian Football Association/Victorian Football League History (1877… … Wikipedia
1899 VFL Grand Final — The 1899 VFL Grand Final took place on September 16, 1899 at the St Kilda Cricket Ground between VFL clubs Fitzroy and South Melbourne. Fitzroy became the first club to claim back to back VFL premierships. Due to an expanded finals system, South… … Wikipedia
1949 VFL season — Infobox VFL Premiership Season year = 1949 imagesize = 120px caption = John Coleman teams = 12 premiers = AFL Ess count = 10th minor premiers = AFL Nor mpcount = 1st matches = top goal scorer = John Coleman (AFL Ess) brownlow medalist = Ron Clegg … Wikipedia
1919 VFL season — Infobox Victorian Football League season year = 1919 imagesize = 120px caption = Vic Thorp clubs = 9 home and away season = 18 rounds premiership team = Collingwood count = 5th minor premiers = Collingwood champion of the season = Vic Thorp top… … Wikipedia
1928 VFL season — Infobox VFL Premiership Season year = 1928 imagesize = 200px caption = Top goal kicker Gordon Coventry teams = 12 premiers = AFL Col count = 7th minor premiers = AFL Col mpcount = 10th matches = top goal scorer = Gordon Coventry (AFL Col)… … Wikipedia
VfL Köln 99 — VfL Köln 1899 Full name Verein für Leibesübungen 1899 e.V. Köln Founded 13 July 1937 League Kreisliga A Köln … Wikipedia
VfL Osnabrück — Football club infobox clubname = VfL Osnabrück fullname = Verein für Leibesübungen von 1899 e.V. Osnabrück nickname = The Violets founded = 1899 ground = Osnatel Arena (formerly Bremer Brücke) capacity = 18,415 chairman = flagicon|Germany Dr.… … Wikipedia
1899 in sports — yearbox in?=in sports cp=18th century c=19th century cf=20th century yp1=1896 yp2=1897 yp3=1898 year=1899 ya1=1900 ya2=1901 ya3=1902 dp3=1860s dp2=1870s dp1=1880s d=1890s da=0 dn1=1900s dn2=1910s dn3=1920s|Baseball*The Brooklyn Superbas Finish… … Wikipedia
Early VFL Final systems — The perceived need for a structured final system was, perhaps, the most important single reason that eight senior clubs broke away from the Victorian Football Association (VFA) in 1896, and formed the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1897.The… … Wikipedia
Collingwood Football Club (VFL) — This article is about the Collingwood Football Club reserve team which participates in the Victorian Football League. For full information and history about the parent club and its AFL team, see Collingwood Football Club. Collingwood Names Full… … Wikipedia