- Death Mills
Death Mills Directed by Billy Wilder
Written by Hanuš Burger Editing by Billy Wilder (supervisor) Distributed by United States Department of War Release date(s) 1945 Running time 22 minutes Country US Language English/German
Death Mills, or Die Todesmühlen, is a 1945 American propaganda documentary film directed by Billy Wilder and produced by the United States Department of War. It was intended for German audiences to educate them about the atrocities committed by the Nazi regime. For the German version, Die Todesmühlen, Hanuš Burger is credited as the writer and director, while Wilder supervised the editing. Wilder is credited with the English-language version.
The film opens with a note that the following is "a reminder that behind the curtain of Nazi pageants and parades was millions of men, women and children who were tortured to death - the greatest mass murder in human history," then fades into German civilians at Gardelegen carrying crosses to the local concentration camp.
Most of the film is simply footage of the newly liberated camps over a score of stark classical music. The narrator notes that people of all nationalities were found in the camps, including people of all religious or political creeds. There is no mention of the particular fate of Jewish people. The film states that 20 million people were killed and describes many of the familiar aspects of the Holocaust, including the medical experiments and the gas chambers.
- List of Allied propaganda films of World War II
- List of Holocaust films
- The Nuremberg Trials - Soviet film about the Nuremberg trials
- That Justice Be Done - American film about the Nuremberg trials
- The short film Death Mills Todesmuehlen is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more]
- Death Mills Todesmuehlen at the Internet Movie Database (English version)
- Todesmühlen, Die at the Internet Movie Database (German version)
- Complete film at US Holocaust Museum
- The Death Mills at AllRovi
- DVD version available from KINO International Corporation
Films directed by Billy Wilder 1930sMauvaise Graine (1934) 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980sBuddy Buddy (1981) This article related to The Holocaust is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.