- Above the Law (film)
Above the Law Directed by Andrew Davis Produced by Andrew Davis
Screenplay by Steven Pressfield
Story by Andrew Davis
Starring Steven Seagal
Music by David M. Frank Cinematography Robert Steadman Editing by Michael Brown Distributed by Warner Bros. Release date(s) April 8, 1988 Running time 99 minutes Country United States
Budget $7,500,000 Box office $18,869,631
Above the Law (also known as Nico: Above The Law, or simply Nico) is a 1988 action film directed by Andrew Davis, probably best-known for being the film debut of Steven Seagal. This came about after a successful screen test, financed by Michael Ovitz, led to Seagal being offered a contract by Warner Bros. Set in Chicago, the film was rated R by the MPAA.
Sergeant Nicolo "Nico" Toscani (Steven Seagal) is a detective in the Chicago Police Department’s vice squad. Born in Palermo, Italy, he and his family immigrated to Chicago when he was seven. Early on, he developed an interest in martial arts, and soon moved to Japan to study from the masters.
In 1969, Nico was recruited into the CIA by CIA Special Agent Nelson Fox (Chelcie Ross) and served a tour with a CIA Special Ops. group serving in Vietnam and Cambodia in 1973, and Nico was involved in some covert operations on the Vietnamese-Cambodian border during the Vietnam War.
There, he became disgusted with Kurt Zagon (Henry Silva), one of his superiors, who used the Vietnam war as an opportunity to get into the money-making business of smuggling drugs. Nico left the CIA. Upon returning, Nico returned to Chicago and joined the Chicago Police Department. He was soon promoted to Detective, and assumed his current role. Nico has a wife named Sara (Sharon Stone).
Nico and his new partner, soon-to-leave-the-force Detective Delores "Jacks" Jackson (Pam Grier) are now investigating a drug ring, and after busting two of the dealers, including Salvadorian drug dealer Tony Salvano (Daniel Faraldo), Nico finds C4 explosives.
Shortly afterward, in a twist of events, everyone that Nico and Jacks arrested is suddenly let go at the request of Federal officials, and Nico is asked to stand down, not to mention the fact that the priest of Nico’s parish is killed in an explosion as a Mass is ending. Fox calls Nico and tells him to move his family to a safer location, concluding that Nico is in danger.
Soon enough, Nico has police searching his house and is asked to turn in his badge. Nico eventually finds that the dealers he busted are linked to Zagon, who is still with the CIA. Zagon wants to use drug money to fund an invasion of Nicaragua, and Senator Ernest Harrison (Joe D. Lauck) puts the heat on Zagon and his group to reveal their undercover operations.
When Nico finds out that the priest’s death was of Zagon’s making, and that Zagon is planning to kill Harrison, Nico seeks to bring down Zagon and all involved with him to justice. Nico has a confrontation with Fox, who is himself corrupt, and who tries to take Nico hostage. Nico is eventually captured by Zagon, who kills Fox for not bringing Nico in.
Nico breaks free after being held in the kitchen of a hotel during a campaign party in which Harrison is attending. Before Zagon can kill Harrison, Nico breaks free, although drugged, and kills all of Zagon's men, including Zagon himself by breaking his neck.
- Steven Seagal as Det. Sgt. Nico Toscani
- Sharon Stone as Sara Toscani
- Pam Grier as Det. Delores “Jacks” Jackson
- Henry Silva as Kurt Zagon
- Ron Dean as Det. Lukich
- Daniel Faraldo as Tony Salvano
- Miguel Nino as Chi Chi Ramon
- Nicholas Kusenko as FBI Agent Neeley
- Joe Greco as Father Joseph Gennaro (as Joe V. Greco)
- Chelcie Ross as Nelson Fox
- Michael Rooker as Man in Bar #1
- Dale Payne as Man in Bar #2
- Joe D. Lauck as Senator Ernest Harrison
- Henry Godinez as Father Tomasino
The film received generally positive reviews. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times stated “It contains 50 percent more plot than it needs, but that allows it room to grow in areas not ordinarily covered in action thrillers.” Rotten Tomatoes rates it at 57%,. However, Hal Hinson of the Washington Post criticized it as “woefully short on originality.”
It grossed $18,869,631 in the U.S.
- ^ Goldstein, Patrick (1988-02-14). "Steven Seagal Gets a Shot at Stardom". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-14/entertainment/ca-42829_1_steven-seagal. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- ^ Canby, Vincent (1988-04-08). "Review/Film; 'Above the Law,' a Detective's Battle". The New York Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=940DE7D91E3CF93BA35757C0A96E948260. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- ^ "Movie Action Hero Steven Seagal's Law: 'I'm Not Superman'". Morning Call. http://articles.mcall.com/1988-04-09/entertainment/2636872_1_martial-arts-steven-seagal-new-action-hero. Retrieved 2010-12-20.
- ^ Perfect People Biography
- ^ "Above the Law". Chicago Sun Times. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19880408/REVIEWS/804080302/1023. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- ^ "Above the Law". Washington Post. 1988-04-09. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/videos/abovethelawrhinson_a0c903.htm. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- ^ Canby, Vincent (1988-04-08). "Review/Film; 'Above the Law,' a Detective's Battle". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/08/movies/review-film-above-the-law-a-detective-s-battle.html. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ "ABOVE THE LAW". Box Office Mojo. http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=abovethelaw.htm. Retrieved November 22, 2009.
Films directed by Andrew Davis 1970sStony Island (1978) 1980s 1990s 2000s
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Above the Law — may refer to: *Above the Law (blog), a blog by David Lat * Above the Law (film), a 1988 action film starring Steven Seagal *Above the Law (group), an American hip hop group * Above the Law (TV series), an Australian television series … Wikipedia
Above the Law (group) — Above the Law Origin Pomona, California, U.S. Genres Hip hop Years active 1989–present Labels Ruthless Warner Bros … Wikipedia
Above the Law (TV series) — Infobox Television show name = Above the Law caption = genre = Drama creator = developer = presenter = starring = Nicholas Bishop Scott Burgess voices = narrated = theme music composer = opentheme = endtheme = country = AUS language = English num … Wikipedia
Nico - Above the Law — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Nico Originaltitel: Above the Law Produktionsland: USA Erscheinungsjahr: 1988 Länge: 93 Minuten Originalsprache: Englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Saint (film) — Infobox Film name=The Saint caption=The Saint promotional poster writer=Leslie Charteris (character) Jonathan Hensleigh Wesley Strick starring=Val Kilmer Elisabeth Shue Rade Šerbedžija director=Phillip Noyce producer=David Brown Robert Evans… … Wikipedia
The Zodiac (film) — Infobox Film name = The Zodiac caption = Promotional movie poster director = Alexander Bulkley producer = Corey Campodonico writer = Kelley Bulkley Alexander Bulkley narrator = starring = Justin Chambers Rory Culkin Philip Baker Hall Brad Henke… … Wikipedia
Over the Edge (film) — Over the Edge Over the Edge DVD cover Directed by Jonathan Kaplan Produced by … Wikipedia
Pump Up the Volume (film) — Infobox Film name = Pump Up the Volume image size = caption = Theatrical poster director = Allan Moyle producer = Syd Cappe Sara Risher Sandy Stern Nicolas Stiliadis writer = Allan Moyle starring = Christian Slater Samantha Mathis music = Cliff… … Wikipedia
Gone with the Wind (film) — Infobox Film name = Gone With The Wind image size = 215px caption = original release poster director = Victor Fleming Uncredited: George Cukor Sam Wood producer = David O. Selznick writer = Screenplay: Sidney Howard Novel: Margaret Mitchell… … Wikipedia
The Fugitive (1993 film) — The Fugitive Theatrical release poster Directed by Andrew Davis Produced by … Wikipedia