- Norman Del Mar
Norman Del Mar CBE (31 July 1919 – 6 February 1994) was a British conductor, horn player, and biographer. As a conductor, he specialized in the music of late romantic composers; including Edward Elgar, Gustav Mahler, and Richard Strauss. He left a great legacy of recordings of British music, in particular Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Delius, and Britten. He notably conducted the premiere recording of Britten's children's opera Noye's Fludde.
Life and career
Born in Hampstead, London, Del Mar began his career as a horn player. He was one of the original members of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO) which was established by Sir Thomas Beecham in 1946. Within the first few months of the RPO's existence, Beecham appointed Del Mar as his assistant conductor. Del Mar made his professional debut as a conductor with the RPO in 1947.
In 1949 Del Mar was appointed principal conductor of the English Opera Group, in which post he remained until 1954. In 1952 he conducted the BBC Symphony Orchestra in the world premiere of Franz Reizenstein's radio opera Anna Kraus. He then held chief conducting posts with the Yorkshire Symphony Orchestra (1954) the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra (1960–1965), and the Aarhus Symphony Orchestra (1985–1988). A regular at the BBC Proms concerts, he conducted the famous Last Night on three occasions, 1973, 1975, and 1983. He was also 'permanent guest conductor' with the Göteborg Symphony Orchestra from 1969-1973.
In 1953 Del Mar joined the faculty of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama where he conducted the school's orchestra and taught conducting until 1960. In 1972 he began to teach conducting at the Royal College of Music, serving until 1990. He also conducted the Royal Academy of Music's orchestra from 1974-1977.
He was an authority on Richard Strauss and wrote a three-volume work on Strauss's life and music. In addition, his books include the following titles:
- Anatomy of the Orchestra (ISBN 0520045009)
- Conducting Beethoven (ISBN 0198162189, Volume 1; ISBN 0198163592, Volume 2)
- Conducting Berlioz (ISBN 0198165528)
- Conducting Brahms (ISBN 0198163584)
- Conducting Elgar (ISBN 0198165579, compiled and edited by his son Jonathan Del Mar)
- Conducting Favourite Concert Pieces (ISBN 0198165587)
- Mahler's sixth symphony : a study (ISBN 090387329X)
- Orchestral variations : confusion and error in the orchestral repertoire (ISBN 0903873370)
As well as making approximately 70 recordings of his own, Del Mar was a lifelong record collector, and his extensive collection of rare 78s is held by the University of Southampton.
- ^ "Norman Del Mar, 74, An English Conductor". The New York Times. February 8, 1994. http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/08/obituaries/norman-del-mar-74-an-english-conductor.html?scp=1&sq=%22Norman+Del+Mar%22&st=nyt.
- ^ Robert Ponsonby (7 February 1994). "Obituary: Norman Del Mar". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-norman-del-mar-1392549.html.
- Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra website contains some photographs and articles about Norman Del Mar.
- Norman Del Mar rehearsing the audience in the "Night Song", in the original 1949 production of Let's Make and Opera
- Signing autographs for Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra players in Düsseldorf Norman Del Mar was a regular conductor of the LSSO both at home and abroad.
- Norman Del Mar sound archive at Southampton University
Principal Conductor, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Principal Conductor, Aarhus Symphony Orchestra
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Norman Del Mar — Norman René Del Mar (* 31. Juli 1919 in London; † 6. Februar 1994 in Bushey (Hertfordshire)) war ein britischer Dirigent und Musikschriftsteller. Del Mar war am Royal College of Music Kompositionsschüler von Constant Lambert und Ralph Vaughan… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Del Mar — ist Namensbestandteil von Ortsnamen USA Boca Del Mar, Beach County, Florida Del Mar (Kalifornien), Rio del Mar, Santa Cruz County, Kalifornien Spanien Santillana del Mar, Kantabrien Torre del Mar, Chile Viña del Mar, Del Mar ist der Familienname… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Del Mar — is Spanish for of the ocean or on the ocean . It may refer to: Contents 1 Places 2 People 3 Other 4 See also Places In the United States … Wikipedia
Del Mar — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Del Mar, signifiant en espagnol de la mer, peut faire référence à : Alexander del Mar, un scientifique américain Norman Del Mar, un chef d orchestre… … Wikipédia en Français
Del Mar Derby — Grade II race Del Mar Derby Location Del Mar Racetrack Del Mar, California, United States Inaugurated 1945 Race type Thoroughbred Flat racing Website www.dmtc.com … Wikipedia
Jonathan Del Mar — (* 1951 in London) ist ein englischer Dirigent und Musikwissenschaftler. Leben Del Mar, Sohn des Dirigenten Norman Del Mar, erhielt schon mit 17 Jahren ein Musik Stipendium für die Christ Church in Oxford. Nach seinem Studium am Royal College of… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Jonathan Del Mar — (born 1951) is a musicologist and conductor.BiographyBorn in London, he studied at Christ Church, Oxford and the Royal College of Music in London. Beethoven scholarHe is most noted for his intense research of Beethoven works, particularly the new … Wikipedia
Flota del Mar del Norte — Северный флот Pabellón Naval Ruso País … Wikipedia Español
Torneo de Viña del Mar — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Abierto de Viña del Mar ATP World Tour Ubicación … Wikipedia Español
Mar de Arafura — (Arafura Sea) Océano o mar de la IHO (n.º id.: 48h) Ubicación geográfica Océano Océano Pacífico … Wikipedia Español