- South Central Railway
The South Central Railway is one of the 16 railway zones in
India. It is headquartered at Secunderabadand has the following divisions: Reorganized Secunderabad, Hyderabad, Guntakal(including Bellary-Guntakal (MG)), Vijayawada, Guntur and Nanded. Areawise it covers Telangana, Rayalaseema and Coastal parts in state of Andhra Pradeshand also parts of Karnataka, Madhya Pradeshand Maharashtra.
cadre belonging to 1973 batch.
From the days of steam-hauled locomotives and wooden plank seats,
South Central Railwayhas come a long way, modernizing its system with the state of the art high-powered Diesel and Electric Locomotives, high speed telescopic Passenger Coaches, and higher axle load wagons, higher capacity track in all important routes, multiple aspect color light signaling with solid state interlocking, and microwave and digital communication system, etc. Over the years, South Central Railway has attained sufficient transportation output with adequate infrastructure development and technological upgrading to serve the regions in its jurisdiction. Safe operation of trains, expansion of network, modern passenger amenities, punctuality of trains, courteous service and cleanliness in stations and trains remain always the thrust areas of this Railway. Being a service oriented organization, South Central Railway provided Computerized Passenger Reservation System at 85 Stations/locations covering 96% of the berths available. In the arena of information dissemination to the rail customers, it has provided Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) for Reservation and train enquiry, National Train Enquiry System (NTES) for real-time information on movement of trains, Passenger Operated Enquiry Terminals (POET) with information on availability of accommodation and confirmation and Close Circuit Television (CCTV) for real time reservation availability status at all important stations in its system. For mass movement of freight, S.C. Railway has introduced high horsepowered Diesel and Electric Locomotives and high speed, higher Axle load Box-N-Wagons. Today, South Central Railway plays a pivotal role as a catalyst for agricultural and industrial development in the Southern peninsula apart from fostering the growth of trade and commerce including import/export through ports by connecting sea ports with their hinder land and inland container depots.
Its reliable and comfortable passenger services for long and short distance travel by introducing many super fast and inter city trains helps transform the society by catering to their personal, business, educational and tourism purposes.
South Central Railway was formed on 2nd October, 1966, by grouping the Vijayawada and Hubli Divisions of Southern Railway and Secuderabad and Solapur Division of Central Railway.
Jurisdictional adjustments were made in October, 1977, by merging Guntakal Division of the Southern Railway with South Central Railway and transferring Solapur Division back to Central Railway.
Secunderabad Division was split in February, 1978 into two Divisions Secunderabad and Hyderabad to facilitate effective operational and administrative control.
On 1st April, 2003, the newly formed
Guntur divisionand Nanded Division of South Central Railway became operational and Hubli Division was transferred to the newly formed South Western Railway. Presently, South Central Railway has six divisions, namely Secunderabad, Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Guntur, Guntakal and Nanded with 5752 Route km of which 1604 Rkm are electrified. Vijayawadais the largest railway junction in South India and the most important station of the South Central Railways.
Since its inception, SC Railway laid 342.805 Rkm of new lines, converted 2676.19 Rkm from
MGto BGand carried out a doubling of track on 1272.453 Rkm, constructed many major river bridges including the engineering marvels Viz., II Godavari Bridge and III Godavari Bridges at Rajahmundry.
Towards customer satisfaction, it had established the Computerized Passenger Reservation Systems at 85 Stations/locations and offer reservations for any train from any station in the Country. For gaining efficiency in freight operations, SCR established Freight Operations Information System (FOIS) in its jurisdiction and has already introduced Rack Management Systems at 23 Stations and Terminal Management System at 31 Stations.
Its Passenger and Freight performance has met with stupendous leaps forward. The freight loading which was only 9.00 million tons in the year of its inception, 1966, has seen a quantum jump and touched 44.79 Million tons in the financial year 2003-2004. Passenger transport too has met with tremendous growth touching 195.65 millions in the year 2003-2004 as against 50 millions in the year of inception and the gross earning from Rs. 58.00 Cr. to 3683.00 Cr in the year 2003-2004. ...........................................................................................
The milestones crossed by South Central Railway in its ambitious journey towards achieving network expansion, modernization, higher performance and customer satisfaction are as follows:
* Rail Nilayam, Secunderabad, the Land Mark Building housing Zonal Head quarters Office of South Central Railway was inaugurated with ground floor to third floor in the year 1968 and fully completed in the year 1972.
* The Wagon Workshop,
Guntupalliwas inaugurated in the year 1974.
* Second Godavari Rail Cum Road Bridge was commissioned by his Excellency the President of India,
Fakruddin Ali Ahmedon 20th November 1974.
* The first
PlasserQuick Relaying System (PQRS) for mechanized laying of track was introduced in the year 1975.
* First Route Relay Interlocking (RRI) system of South Central Railway was commissioned in January 1976 at Vijayawada Station.
* Andhra Pradesh (Super fast) Express between Hyderabad and
New Delhiwas introduced on 03rd October 1976.
* The first ever Microwave Lab on Indian Railways was commissioned in Secunderabad in South Central Railway in October 1979.
* The Electric Loco Shed, Vijayawada was inaugurated in April, 1980 with a capacity to maintain 100 Electric Locomotives.
* Sanchalan Bhavan, the Headquarters Building of Secunderabad Division of South Central Railway was inaugurated on 10th November 1980 by Hon’ble Deputy Railway Minister P.Mallikarjun.
* The first electrified route from
Vijayawadato Guduron South Central Railway system was inaugurated on 15 th December, 1980.
* The first Tie Tamping Machine in South Central Railway was introduced in the year January, 1981.
* The additionally laid broad gauge Railway line between
Gootyand Dharmavaramwas opened for traffic on 26 th January 1983.
* The Carriage Repair Shop at Tirupati with a capacity to overhaul 100 BG coaches was commissioned in September 1985.
* The additionally laid broad gauge Railway line between
Bibinagar- Nadikudiwas opened for traffic in three phases ie., in the year 1987; Nov. 1988 and April 1989.
* First Digital Electronic Exchange was inaugurated on South Central Railway in July 1988 at Rail Nilayam.
* South Central Railway introduced the Computerised Passenger Reservation System (PRS) at Secunderabad Railway Station on 30 th September 1989.
* The Ballast Cleaning Machine in South Central Railway was introduced in May, 1990.
* The first Solid State Interlocking (also know as Electronic Interlocking system) was commissioned at
Kavalistation of South Central Railway in July 1994.
* South Central Railway had introduced 5000 HP Electric Locomotives for Passenger Transport in May, 1995.
* The Electric Loco Shed, South
Lallagudawith a capacity to maintain 100 Electric Locomotives was inaugurated in September, 1995.
* Andhra Pradesh Express was augmented to 24 coaches from 30 th November 1995 followed by Charminar Express, Godavari Express, Pinakini Express.
* Mango Specials (Goods Trains with mango load) were first introduced by S.C.Railway in the year May 1996.
* The first Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) service on SCR between Vijayawada and
Machilipatnamwas inaugurated on 01 st September 1996.
* The first Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) service on S.C.Railway was inaugurated between
Vijayawadaand Ongoleon 1st September, 1996.
* The first long haul digital Microwave link of South central Railway was commissioned on Vijayawada-Gudur-Renigunta Route in September 1996.
Godavari Bridge(Bow-String Concrete Structure) at Rajahmundrywas commissioned on 11 th March 1997.
* Computerized Passenger Reservation System of Secunderabad was linked to Passenger Reservation System PRS/
New Delhion 14 th October 1997.
* The Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) for dissemination on reservation and confirmation of train accommodation was first introduced at Passenger Reservation System Office, Secunderabad on 31st March 1998 with 12 lines and later extended to 60 lines. By August, 2004, IVRS has been provided at 27 Stations.
* Rail Net was commissioned in South Central Railway in March 1998.
* The first Mobile Police Station was introduced by Hyderabad-Tirupati Narayanadri Express in April, 1998.
* Computerised Passenger Reservation System, Secunderabad was linked to PRS/
Howrahon 19 th July 1998.
* South Central Railway had introduced 5000 HP Electric Locomotives for Goods transport in July 1998.
* Computerised Passenger Reservation System, Secunderabad was linked to PRS/
Mumbai(CST) on 31 st January 1999.
* Wagon Workshop,
Guntupalli, Vijayawada was granted ISO 9002 Certificate on March 1999.
* Carriage workshop, Tirupati was granted ISO 9002 Certificate in May 1999.
* Computerised Passenger Reservation System of Secunderabad was linked to PRS/
* Passenger Operated Enquiry Terminal (POET) was introduced at Secunderabad Station on 31-12-1999 and extended to 49 stations by July 2004.
* National Train Enquiry System (NTES) was introduced in Secunderabad on 30 th June 1999 and extended to 11 stations by July 2004.
* The walkie-talkie wireless set for communication between Driver – Guard – Station Manager was introduced in South Central Railway in the year 1999.
* High powered diesel Locomotives with 4000 HP capacity was introduced for hauling Goods Trains in the year 1999.
* The first solar powered Colour Light Signals on South Central Railway was provided at LC gate No.55 near
GudivadaStation of Vijayawada Division in January 2000.
* The first LED lit colour light signal on South Central Railway was provided at LC 404 at KM 589/14-16 between Kadiyam-Dwarapudi Station on Vijayawada-Visakhapatnam section in January – 2000.
* ISO 9002 Certification was granted to Carriage Workshop, Lallaguda, Secunderabad in April 2000.
* Escalator for climbing on Footover Bridge connecting platforms was commissioned at Vijayawada Station in April, 2000.
* The state of the art high powered Diesel Locomotives with a capacity of 4000 HP was introduced for hauling passenger trains in the year 2001.
* High speed Data Channel Net working for Freight Operation Information System (FOIS) was commissioned in South central Railway in January 2001.
* Coaching Refund was first computerized on 31st June, 2001 by Hyderabad- Narsapur Express.
* The first station in S.C. Railway to be commissioned with all Light Emitting Diode (LED) lit CLS is Kovvur in January 2002.
* Rajdhani (super fast) Express was introduced between Secunderabad and New Delhi on 12 th February 2002.
* The first Diesel Engine with AC Cabin for Driver was introduced in South Central Railway on 16 th November 2002.
* Rake Management System, to monitor the movement of rakes and Wagons (a division of Freight Operations Information System) was first introduced at Gooty and Renigunta Stations of S.C. Railway on 06 th September 2002 and extended thereafter to 23 locations by July 2004.
* Anti-collision Device was fitted to Locomotives running on Renigunta-Guntakal route of Guntakal Division on an experimental basis in the year 2003.
* Laying of Optic Fibre Cable on all important routes of South Central Railway was Completed by Railtel Corporation on 30-6-03.
* South Central Railway operated 707 Special trains for Godavari Puskarams in July and August, 2003, moved 22,84,170 pilgrims and earned Rs. 4.28 Crores.
* The first Electric Multiple Unit (EMU) Service on S.C.Railway was inaugurated between Secunderabad and
Lingampalliin August 2003.
* The first ISDN compatible electronic exchange of South central Railway was commissioned at Secunderabad in March 2003.
* The Multi Modal Transport System Train (MMTS-Train) between Secunderabad – Lingampalli was inaugurated on 09 th August 2003.
* Terminal Management System, a division of Freight Operations Information System (FOIS) was first introduced on SCR at
BellampalleStation on 30 th September 2003 and extended thereafter to 31 locations by July 2004.
* Issue of “Railway Receipt” for booking of freight (under terminal management system) was computerized first at Bellampalli Station on 4-10-2003 and extended to 9 Stations by July,2004.
* The first ever “Block proving” by Digital Axle Counter System in Indian Railways was energized on
Bhimadolu– Pullablock section on Vijayawada-Visakhapatnam route of South central Railway in January 2004.
* Multi Model Transport System (MMTS) Train between Secunderabad –
Falaknumawas Inaugurated on 14-2-2004.
* Signal, Telecommunication, Carriage, Stores Finance and Store Bills wings of the Office of Chief Controller of Stores, Rail Nilayam, Secunderabad were granted ISO 9001 /2000 certificate in 16th March, 2004.
* The Office of Senior Divisional Financial Advisor’s Office was granted ISO 9002 /2000 on 18th March, 2004.
* The first Refrigerated Parcel Van service was inaugurated on 03 rd April 2004 between Vijayawada and Guwahati by Bangalore-Guwahati Express.
* S.C. Railway realized the highest earnings of Rs.2.18 cr. from 1.71 lakh ticketless Passengers during the month May 2004.
* South Central Railway was awarded Rupees Two lakhs by the Ministry of Railways in recognition of its best performance in the financial year 2003-2004.
* As on July 2004 South Central Railway established computerized Passenger Reservation Systems at 85 Stations/locations covering 96% of the berths available in S.C.Railway.
* South Central Railway has laid 342.805 km of new lines since its inception in the 1966 till July, 2004.
* South Central Railway has converted 2676.19 km of MG track to broad gauge since its inception in the year 1966 till July, 2004 under Project Unigauge.
* South Central Railway has carried out Doubling of track to the extent of 1272.453 km since its inception in the year 1966 till July, 2004.
* South Central Railway had electrified 1706 Rkm since its inception in the year 1966 till July, 2004.
Hyderabad Mumbai Express
Andhra Pradesh Express
Andhra Pradesh Sampark Kranti Express
Trains of SCR
System Map of SCR
* [http://scrailway.gov.in/web/ South Central Railway]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
South Western Railway — The South Western Railway is one of the 16 railway zones in India. It is headquartered at Hubli and comprises Bangalore and Mysore divisions of Southern Railway, reorganized Hubli division of South Central Railway including Hospet Bellary.… … Wikipedia
South Wales Railway — Spurweite: 2140 mm Legende … Deutsch Wikipedia
South Maitland Railway — [v · East Greta No1 Tunnel Colliery coal loader Legend … Wikipedia
South Yorkshire Railway — For the Preservation Society South Yorkshire Railway Co. Ltd. see Heritage Shunters Trust The South Yorkshire Railway was a railway company which was based in the south of the former West Riding of Yorkshire. Its first section of line opened on… … Wikipedia
South Buffalo Railway — The South Buffalo Railway reporting mark|SB operates more than fifty miles of railway lines along the southeast shore of Lake Erie. South Buffalo connects to CSX, Norfolk Southern, Canadian Pacific, and Canadian National Railway. At one time the… … Wikipedia
Central Railway Zone (India) — Central Railway 8 Central Railway CR s headquarters Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus … Wikipedia
Central Railway (India) — The Central Railway is one of the largest of the 16 zones of Indian Railways. Its headquarters is in Mumbai at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (formerly Victoria Terminus). It includes the first passenger railway line in India, which opened from… … Wikipedia
Central railway station, Sydney — Cityrail Station alt| Central servicearea=South Coast Line|servicearea color=#South Coast line colour|servicearea textcolor=white servicearea2=Southern Highlands Line|servicearea color2=#Southern Highlands line colour|servicearea textcolor2=white … Wikipedia
Central railway station, Brisbane — Citytrain Station station name=Central region=Brisbane Central servicearea1=Airport IB1=Roma Street OB1=Brunswick Street servicearea2=Beenleigh IB2=Brunswick Street OB2=Roma Street servicearea3=Caboolture IB3=Roma Street OB3=Brunswick Street… … Wikipedia
South-East-Central Railway Sports Club — Infobox Football club clubname = SEC Railway SC fullname = South East Central Railway Sports Club nickname = The Railmen founded = 19xx ground = The Cooperage Ground, Mumbai, Maharashtra capacity = 12,000 manager = flagicon|India Jeevan Rajak… … Wikipedia