St Thomas the Apostle


St Thomas the Apostle

Infobox church
name = St Thomas the Apostle
fullname =
color =


imagesize =
caption = Plaque opposite Cullum Street
landscape =
denomination = Anglican
diocese =
parish =
division =
subdivision =
founded_date = 12th century
founder =
architect =
style =
constructed_date =
dedicated_date =
closed_date =
demolished_date = 1666
bishop =
priest =
archdeacon =
dean =
provost =
rector =
canon =
prebendary =
curate =
chaplain =
vicar =
deacon =
abbot =
minister =
seniorpastor =
pastor =
address = London
country = United Kingdom
phone =
website =

A former church in the City of London.
The Mortality Bill for the year 1665, published by the "Parish Clerk’s Company", shows 97 parishes within the City of London. [ "The ancient office of Parish Clerk and the Parish Clerks Company of London" Clark, O :London, Journal of the Ecclesiastical Law Society Vol 8, January 2006 ISSN: 0956-618X ] By September 6th the city lay in ruins, 86 churches having been destroyed. [ The "Churches of the City of London" Reynolds,H: London, Bodley Head, 1922] In 1670 a Rebuilding Act was passed and a committee set up under the stewardship of Sir Christopher Wren to decide which would be rebuilt. [ "Wren" Whinney,M London Thames & Hudson, 1971 ISBN 0500201129] Fifty-one were chosen, but St Thomas the Apostle in Vintry Ward [The parish extended into Cordwainer Ward "A Dictionary of London" Harben, H.: London, Herbert Jenkins, 1918 ] was one of the unlucky minority never to be rebuilt. [ "The City of London Churches" Betjeman, J. Andover, Pitkin, 1967 (rpnt 1992) ISBN 0853725659 ] . The church site is marked by a plaque in Great St Thomas Apostle Street (see photo) near Mansion House tube station. First mentioned in the 12th Century [”Vanished Churches of the City of London” Huelin,G London Guildhall Library Publishing 1996 ISBN 0900422424] the parish was staunchly Royalist in the years leading up to the Civil War [ “The City of London-a history” Borer,M.I.C. : New York,D.McKay Co, 1978 ISBN 0094618801] Following the fire it was united to St Mary Aldermary. [ "A Letter to the Parishioners of the united Parishes of St. Mary Aldermary, and St. Thomas the Apostle, in the City of London, on the non-payment of their Tithes" (1835) British Library Catalogue Ref: 003944680] Partial records still survive at IGI. [ [http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/city-ch.html Genealogical Web-Site] ] .

References

External links


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.