- Medical Council of India
The Medical Council of India (MCI) was the statutory body for maintenance of uniform and high standards of medical education in India. The Council grants recognition of medical qualifications, gives accreditation to medical colleges, grants registration to medical practitioners, and monitors medical practice in India. The current chairman of MCI is Professor K K Talwar.
The Medical Council of India was first established in 1934 under the Indian Medical Council Act of 1933. The Council was later reconstituted under the Indian Medical Council Act of 1956.
The below article gives authority to MCI to recognize and derecognize degrees from recognized colleges at will leading to disruption in the lives of previous graduates.
The council has been engulfed with corruption since the chairman Ketan Desai took over during the tenure of Arjun Singh as HRD minister. Ketan Desai has been on the boards of several medical universities and has been questioned by Indian media for his role in making the MCI a den of corruption.
Functions of the council
- The main functions of the Medical Council of India are the following:
- Recognition of medical qualifications granted by medical institutions of India.
- Recognition of foreign medical qualifications in India.
- Accreditation of medical colleges (medical schools).
- Maintenance of uniform standards for undergraduate medical education.
- Regulation of postgraduate medical education in medical colleges accredited by it. (The National Board of Examinations is another statutory body for postgraduate medical education in India).
- Registration of doctors with recognised medical qualifications. (Registration of doctors and their qualifications is usually done by state medical councils).
- Keeping a directory of all registered doctors, called the Indian Medical Register.
"MCI Online" is the portal of the Medical Council of India for online processing of applications for registration (of medical qualifications) and for professional certificates. "MCI Online" also provides online search of the Indian Medical Register.
- Dr. B. C. Roy Awards: Dr. B.C. Roy National Award Fund was instituted in 1962 to perpetuate his memory. The Award is presented to distinguished medical person in each of the categories of Statesmanship of the Highest Order in our country, Medical man-cum-Statesman, Eminent Medical Person, Eminent person in Philosophy and Eminent person in Arts.
- Hari Om Ashram Award: Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Award Fund has decided to invite the nomination for Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Awards under the categories of Basic Research in Medical Sciences, Clinical Research and Operational Research.
- Silver Jubilee Award: Silver Jubilee Research Award Fund was given under the categories to give award to person for his original and outstanding work in the field of medical and allied science done in India, to give aid or assistance to project in medical colleges/medical institutions/organizations engaged in the development of medical education and to help medical research and to Grant Travel Fellowship.
The MCI was dissolved by the President of India on May 15, 2010 following the arrest on April 22, 2010 of MCI's president Ketan Desai by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Desai and three others was arrested for allegedly accepting a bribe to permit Patiala-based Gyan Sagar Medical College to recruit a fresh batch of students without having adequate infrastructure. Desai, alleged middle-man J. P. Singh and doctors Sukhwinder Singh and Kanwaljit Singh have been booked under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
- The National Council for Human Resource in Health in India
- National Board of Examinations
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Medical Council of India Screening Test
- Compulsory Rotatory Residential Internship
- Medical Council of India Official internet site
- Online Registration of Medical Professionals
- Medical Council of India College Database
- ^ MCI. "Report of the Working Group on Medical Education" (PDF). http://knowledgecommission.gov.in/downloads/documents/wg_med.pdf. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- ^ "Court extends judicial custody of Ketan Desai by 14 days". The Hindu. May 14, 2010. http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/article429819.ece. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
- ^ "President signs ordinance on MCI". The Hindu. May 15, 2010. http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/article430812.ece. Retrieved May 17, 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Medical Council of India Screening Test — Medical Council of India Screening Test, also known as Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE), is a licensure examination conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE) in India. The test is one of the mandatory requirements for… … Wikipedia
Medical college in India — For introductory information about medical schools and information about medical schools in other countries, see Medical school. In India, Medical College refers to an educational institution that provides medical education. These institutions… … Wikipedia
Medical Council — may refer to: Australian Medical Council, a national standards advisory body for medical education and training General Medical Council, the regulator of the medical profession in the United Kingdom Irish Medical Council, the regulator of the… … Wikipedia
Dental Council of India — Logo of Dental Council of India The Dental Council of India was incorporated under The Dentists Act, 1948 to regulate dental education and the profession throughout India. It is financed by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (India) and… … Wikipedia
List of medical colleges in India — India has several medical schools, they are usually called medical colleges. Most of the medical institutes were set up by the central and state governments in 50s and 60s. But in 1980s several private medical institutes were started in several… … Wikipedia
Christian Medical Association of India — (CMAI) is a forum, a gathering place, an association and eventually, a potent instrument to bring about social reform. It is a fellowship of doctors, nurses, administrators, chaplains and allied health professionals and we work on various fronts … Wikipedia
Council of Christian Hospitals — COCH Established 1973 Type Regulatory body in India for the medical mission of the Canadian Baptist Mission. President Dr. Sukant Singh (Chairperson) Location … Wikipedia
Medical College for Women and Hospital — Established 1992 Type Private Location Dhaka, Bangladesh Medical College for Women and Hospital (MCW H) is one of the top and first private medical college of Bangladesh exclusively for women. It has currently … Wikipedia
Medical school — Med school redirects here. For the experimental drum and bass label, see Hospital Records#Med School. See also: Medical education and List of medical schools Founded in 1765, The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania… … Wikipedia
Medical deemed universities — In India, a Deemed university is an institution that has attained status of university in particular area of specialization recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) on recommendation of statutory council (for example Medical… … Wikipedia