- Dave P. Tyndall, Jr.
Dave P. Tyndall Jr., (March 3, 1917 - June 30, 2006), whose full name was David Patrick Tyndall, Jr., was a leading Irish businessman in the 20th century, who started out in a family business with his eponymous father and eldest brother William, and played an important role in helping modernize the wholesale and retail grocery trade, consolidate it, and enable the family grocery shop owner adapt to the advent of supermarkets. He also played a key role at the head of several business organisations, was a world traveller and amateur pilot, who also featured in the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest man ever to fly a helicopter solo.
He was a son of Sarah (née Gaynor) and David P. Tyndall (Sr.). He married Molly (née Kettle) in September 1949, and they had four children: Mona, Mary, Pauline and Vivian.
Career in Business
He was known for his keen sense of opportunity and strategic vision, and his success at mergers and acquisitions earned him the nickname "Take-over Tyndall" in Irish business circles. Known as a caring employer, he absorbed many of the employees of wholesalers who closed down (Hugh, Moore & Alexander, Shirley Spence & Belford, McMaster, Hodgson, R. Jones & Co.), and introduced a bonus incentive scheme, and a scheme of non-contributory pensions for all employees. He lay behind the first initiative of an Irish wholesale group to establish a bonded warehouse to expand their wine & spirits business.
After his father's retirement, and in close collaboration with his older brother William, he expanded the Tyndall interests to include retail stores, through joint ventures for self-service stores across Ireland. Their reputation for honesty and loyal relationships with banks and insurance companies guaranteed them support in times of need, such as when damages were incurred due to floods or fire, etc. They successfully resisted a 25% takeover bid by Irish businessman Tony O'Reilly in 1971. Eventually they sold AWL to Joshua Watson Ltd., and Dave joined its board. It was later taken over by Irish Distillers, who were later taken over in 1988 by Pernod-Ricard.
The Tyndall brothers continued to maintain their other interests, William retired in 1980 and Dave retired in 1984, after fifty-one years in the grocery business.
Dave's aviation interests included an active involvement (President) with the Leinster Aero Club, currently based in TREVET (EITT), near Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath. The Leinster Aero Club was founded in 1956 and originally based at Weston Aerodrome. In 1964, the club re-located to Dublin Airport, where it existed until relocating back to Weston in 2004. In 2006, the club moved to Trevet Airfield, a newly licensed field near Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath. There are over 50 members in the club ranging from SPLs, PPLs, CPLs, ATPLs and Instructors. The club has a proud history of success stories - several members have gone on to become professional pilots with various airlines around the world.
Companies founded, with his father and brother
- Doherty, Tyndall & Co. Ltd.
- D. Tyndall & Sons, Ltd.(Director & Secretary)
- Farm Sales, Ltd. (Director)
- Creamery Packers, Ltd. (Member)
- Efficient Distribution, Ltd. (Golden Goose Stores)(President)
- SPAR Ireland Ltd. (Director)
- Cameron Markets, Ltd. (Chairman & Managing Director)
- Park Markets, Ltd. (Chairman & Managing Director)
- Greenhills Produce, Ltd. (Chairman & Managing Director)
- Phoenix Markets, Ltd. (Chairman & Managing Director)
Mergers & Acquisitions
- National Packers, Ltd.
- Sugar Distributors, Ltd. (Director)
- Brightside Engineering, Ltd. (Director)
- Amalgamated Wholesalers, Ltd. (AWL) (Chairman & Managing Director)
- McArdle & Lalor, Ltd.
- Moore Investments Ltd. (Director)
- Carton Bros. Co.
- Lee & Co.
- MNC (Merchants National Coop)
- MUM Cash & Carry
- MACE franchise stores
- Brooks Watson Group, Ltd. (Director)
- B.W.G. Foods Ltd. (Chairman & Managing Director)
- B.W.G. Trading (Chairman)
Business Associations co-founded
- RG Data - Retail Grocery, Dairy and Allied Trades
- Irish Association of Distributive Trades (I.A.D.T.)(Member)
- Wholesale Grocers Association of Ireland (President)
- Irish Grocers Benevolent Association/Fund (President)
Aviation Interests & Positions
- Leinster Aero Club Ltd., President
- Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association, Treasurer
- Irish Aviation Council Ltd., Treasurer
Other interests & positions held
- St. Joseph's Hospital, Vice-Chairman
- Legion of Mary, President of a Praesidium
- St. Gabriel's Parish Committee, Chairman
- Swords Family Care Ltd., Chairman
- National College of Industrial Relations, Committee Member
- Thorndale Lawn Tennis Club, Committee Member
- Flying high...at 83 - David is World's Oldest Copter Pilot, article by Martina Devlin, Irish Independent, Dublin, 22 July 2000.
- Flying in the face of convention, article on David Tyndall by Olive Keogh, published in Irish Times, Dublin, 20 April 2002.
- Tyndall manuscript genealogies: see MS. vols. F.3.23, F.3.27, F.4.18 in Trinity College Library, Dublin
- The Book of Dignities, by Joseph Haydn, 3rd edition, W.H. Allen & Co., London, 1894.
- Fairbairn's Book of Crests of Families of Great Britain and Ireland, by James Fairbairn, (2 Vols.)T.C. & E.C. Jack, London, 1905.
- Prerogative Wills of Ireland (1536–1810) - Index, by Sir Arthur Vicars, Dublin, 1897.
- A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, by John Burke, London, 1838.
- A Guide to Irish Country Houses, by Mark Bence-Jones, Constable & Co.Ltd., London, 1988. (pages 19 and 41).
- Dublin Almanacks, 1830, 1840, 1860.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dave Loos — Sport(s) Basketball Current position Title Head coach Team Austin Peay Biographical details Born March 5, 1947 (1947 03 05) (age 64 … Wikipedia
David P. Tyndall — (May 17, 1890 January 6, 1970) was a leading Irish businessman in the 20th century, and played the major role in helping modernize the wholesale and retail grocery trade, consolidate it, and enable the family grocery shop owner adapt to the… … Wikipedia
Donnie Tyndall — Sport(s) Basketball Current position Title Head coach Team Morehead State Biographical details Place of birth Grand Rapids, Michigan … Wikipedia
1917 in Ireland — Events*February 3 Count George Noble Plunkett, father of Joseph Mary Plunkett, wins Roscommon North on abstentionist Sinn Féin platform. *March 7 David Lloyd George announces that Britain is ready to confer self government to the parts of Ireland … Wikipedia
2006 in Ireland — Incumbents * President Mary McAleese * Taoiseach Bertie Ahern * Tánaiste Mary Harney (until Sep.); Michael McDowell (after Sep.) * Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Peter Hain * First Minister office suspended * Deputy First Minister office … Wikipedia
British National Party — For other uses, see British National Party (disambiguation). British National Party … Wikipedia
History of British fascism since 1945 — Part of the Politics series Party politics Political spectrum … Wikipedia
List of drug-related deaths — The following is a list of notable people who have died from drug related causes. Criteria for inclusion are death from overdose, death from organ failure/illness due to or exacerbated by drug use, or death from suicide/misadventure under the… … Wikipedia
ALR-94 — Lockheed Martin F 22 Raptor … Deutsch Wikipedia
AN/ALR-94 — Lockheed Martin F 22 Raptor … Deutsch Wikipedia