- McCarthy (band)
McCarthy Origin Barking, Essex, England Genres Indie pop Years active 1985–1990 Labels Wall of Salmon Records
Associated acts Stereolab
Members Tim Gane
McCarthy were a British indie pop band, formed in Barking, Essex, England in 1984 by schoolmates Malcolm Eden (voice and guitar) and Tim Gane (lead guitar) with John Williamson (bass guitar) and Gary Baker (drums). Lætitia Sadier would later join the band on vocals on their third studio album Banking, Violence And The Inner Life Today.
Eden, Gane and Williamson met at Barking Abbey Comprehensive School. Gane was originally a drummer, but was initially taught to play guitar by Eden, who also taught Williamson the basics of bass. Eden and Gane were fans of punk groups such as the Sex Pistols, The Clash, and Buzzcocks, and they covered their songs in small gigs as teenagers. Baker joined in 1984, and with the new line-up deciding on the name McCarthy (a tongue-in-cheek reference to American politician Joe McCarthy), they released a self-financed first single, "In Purgatory" in 1985. The band were signed by the Pink Label, releasing two further singles "Red Sleeping Beauty" and "Frans Hals". The band had a track included on the NME C86 album ("Celestial City").
Their debut album I Am A Wallet was released in 1987. The album was virtually ignored by UK radio programmers, except for BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel. Because of Eden's Marxist political views, the band were, to their dismay, often lumped in with other left-wing acts like Billy Bragg and The Redskins. I Am A Wallet has since been described by Nicky Wire as "the most perfect record, a Communist manifesto with tunes", and was rated by James Dean Bradfield as his top British album of all time.
Two further singles appeared in early 1988 and were followed by a second album, The Enraged Will Inherit The Earth, which was considerably less well received.
A year later, they released a third album Banking, Violence And The Inner Life Today, on which they were joined by Gane's girlfriend Lætitia Sadier on vocals. The album suggested a new willingness to experiment musically, and was seen by critics as something of a return to form, but it in fact proved to be their swansong and they split soon afterwards. Eden felt there was no need to continue with the band, believing that their creativity peaked with that LP. The band's final gig was at the London School of Economics in 1990.
Gane and Sadier went on to form Stereolab, while Eden formed the short-lived Herzfeld. Baker went on to a career in radiography, before going on to work for The Guardian. Williamson went on to work for music publisher BMG and Domino Records.
McCarthy were a major early influence on the Manic Street Preachers who covered three of their songs: "We Are All Bourgeois Now" appeared as a hidden track on their Know Your Enemy album; "Charles Windsor" appeared as a b-side on their Life Becoming A Landslide EP; and "Red Sleeping Beauty" appeared on their single "Autumnsong".
Nicky Wire has said of the band: "McCarthy - the great lost band of the '80s they redesigned my idea of politics and pop, it could be intelligent, it could be beautiful. They were frail, tragic, romantic idealists. The songs soothed your body but exercised your brain. They were my education, my information and they are partly to blame for the realisation of the Manic Street Preachers. I still fall in love with this album every six months, it makes me feel guilty because it's so good".
- I Am A Wallet (September Records; November 1987) (#7)
- The Enraged Will Inherit The Earth (Midnight Music; March 1989) (#5)
- Banking, Violence And The Inner Life Today (Midnight Music; April 1990)
- McCarthy at War EP (Midnight Music; May 1989) (#16)
- A La Guillotine! (Danceteria;February 1988)
- That's All Very Well But... (Midnight Music/Cherry Red; 1996)
- "In Purgatory" (Wall of Salmon; 1985)
- "Red Sleeping Beauty" (Pink Label; October 1986)
- "Frans Hals" (Pink Label; March 1987) (#4)
- "The Well Of Loneliness" (September Records; September 1987) (#10)
- "This Nelson Rockefeller" (September Records; February 1988) (#9)
- "Should The Bible Be Banned" (September Records; April 1988) (#9)
- "Keep An Open Mind Or Else" (Midnight Music; February 1989) (#10)
- "Get A Knife Between Your Teeth" (Midnight Music; March 1990)
- John Peel Session (12 November 1986)
- "A Child Soon In Chains"
- "Frans Hals"
- "An MP Speaks"
- Janice Long Session (8 July 1987)
- "The Wicked Palace Revolution"
- "The Vision Of Peregrine Worsthorne"
- "The Well of Loneliness"
- John Peel Session (28 October 1987)
- John Peel Session (1 January 1988)
- "The Myth Of The North-South Divide"
- "I'm Not A Patriot But..."
- "Keep An Open Mind Or Else"
- "The Lion Will Lie Down With The Lamb"
- ^ a b c Strong, Martin C. (1999). The Great Alternative & Indie Discography. Canongate. ISBN 0-86241-913-1.
- ^ a b c d e Sutton, Michael, "McCarthy Biography", allmusic.com, Macrovision Corporation, retrieved 27 March 2008
- ^ a b c d Larkin, Colin (1992). The Guinness Who's Who of Indie and New Wave Music. Guinness Publishing. ISBN 0-85112-579-4.
- ^ a b Lacewings (2007) "Interview with Malcolm Eden of McCarthy, 22 January 2007"
- ^ Nicky Wire Interview, retrieved 2007
- ^ James Dean Bradfield's Top 10 albums, Observer Music Monthly, 20 June 2004
- ^ BBC Radio 1 - Keeping It Peel - McCarthy
- ^ 
- ^ Lazell, Barry (1997). Indie Hits 1980-1999. Cherry Red Books. ISBN 0-9517206-9-4.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
McCarthy — may refer to: McCarthy (surname) (article includes many notable persons with this surname) McCarthy, Alaska McCarthy (band), an indie pop band MacCarthy (Château), a Bordeaux wine McCarthy Tétrault, a Canadian law firm McCarthy evaluation,… … Wikipedia
McCarthy, Alaska — CDP The old McCarthy hardware store … Wikipedia
Band of Outsiders — war eine amerikanische Gitarrenrock Band, die in der ersten Hälfte der 1980er Jahre von Marc Jeffrey und Jim McCarthy (ex The Limit) in New York gegründet wurde. Stilistisch orientierte sich die Gruppe an den ebenfalls aus New York stammenden… … Deutsch Wikipedia
McCarthy Trenching — is a band from Omaha, Nebraska led by Dan McCarthy. It is currently signed to Conor Oberst s Team Love record label. Discography Old Habits (2003) (demo) It s Got Nothing to Do with the Drinking (2006) (demo) McCarthy Trenching (2007) Calamity… … Wikipedia
McCarthy (surname) — See also: MacCarthy dynasty MacCarthy or McCarthy (Mac Cárthaigh in Irish), meaning Son of the loving one or loving , is a common surname that originated in Ireland. There are several forms extant, including Carthy and Carty. 60% of people with… … Wikipedia
McCarthy Trenching (album) — Calamity Drenching Studio album by McCarthy Trenching Released … Wikipedia
McCarthy Stadium — This page refers to the La Salle University soccer venue. For the West Warwick, Rhode Island baseball venue, see McCarthy Field. McCarthy Stadium The Mac Location … Wikipedia
Band de Gaza — Bande de Gaza Pour les articles homonymes, voir Gaza (homonymie). قطاع غزة (Qita Ghazzah) רצועת עזה (Retzuat Azza) … Wikipédia en Français
Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy High School — Infobox high school name = Archbishop Edward A. McCarthy High School established = 1998 type = Catholic staff = 75 students = 1,350 city = Southwest Ranches (Fort Lauderdale) state = Florida country = USA website = [http://www.mccarthyhigh.org… … Wikipedia
Nicholas McCarthy — Performing With Franz Ferdinand Background information Birth name Nicholas John McCarthy … Wikipedia