- Robert Davidson (artist)
Robert Charles Davidson, C.M., O.B.C., D.F.A. (Hon) (born
4 November 1946in Hydaburg, Alaska), is a Canadian artist of Haidaheritage. His specialties are in carving (such as totem poles and masks), sculpture and painting.
His parents are Claude and Vivian Davidson and, through Claude, he is the grandson of the Haida artist and memoirist
Florence Davidson. He is a member of the Eagle moiety, Ts'ał'lanas lineage. In infancy, he moved to the Haida village of Masset, British Columbia, on Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands). For high school, he moved to Vancouverto attend Point Grey Secondary Schoolin 1965. In 1966 he became apprenticed to the master Haida carver Bill Reid. In 1967 he began studies at the Vancouver School of Art. In 1969 he raised the first totem pole on Haida Gwaii in approximately ninety years.
Davidson, known internationally as a carver of totem poles and masks, printmaker, painter and jeweller, has become a leading figure in the renaissance of Haida art and culture. Today he lives near Vancouver, working out of a studio on
Semiahmoo First Nationland and making annual return visits to Haida Gwaii.
Some of his works were featured at the
Canadian Museum of Civilizationand the Vancouver Art Gallery.
The first major public exhibition in ten years, "Robert Davidson: The Abstract Edge" was organized by the
Museum of Anthropologyat the University of British Columbia(UBC) for viewing at the National Gallery of Canadain Ottawain 2007.
His younger brother and former apprentice,
Reg Davidson, is also a Haida carver.
Awards and Recognition
* 1992 :
University of Victoria, awarded Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts
* 1995: appointed
Order of British Columbia
* 1995 : received the
Aboriginal Achievement Award
* 1996 : appointed Member of the
Order of Canada
* 2007 : received honorary degree Doctor of Letters (D.Litt.) from UBC
* 2007 : received lifetime achievement award by the B.C. Creative Achievement Awards for Aboriginal Art
* Blackman, Margaret B. (1982; rev. ed., 1992) "During My Time: Florence Edenshaw Davidson, a Haida Woman." Seattle: University of Washington Press.
* Jensen, Doreen, and Polly Sargent (1986) "Robes of Power: Totem Poles on Cloth." Vancouver: University of British Columbia Press.
* Macnair, Peter L., Alan L. Hoover, and Kevin Neary (1984) "The Legacy: Tradition and Innovation in Northwest Coast Indian Art." Vancouver, B.C.: Douglas & McIntyre.
* Stewart, Hilary (1993). "Looking at Totem Poles." Seattle: University of Washington Press. ISBN 0-295-97259-9.
* Robert Davidson lands lifetime achievement award By Alex Browne, Arts Reporter, "Peace Arch News", June 12, 2007
* [http://www.robertdavidson.ca/ Robert Davidson official website]
* [http://www.spiritwrestler.com/catalog/index.php?artists_id=16 Spirit Wrestler Gallery (Vancouver, Canada)]
* [http://www.kinsmanrobinson.com/dynamic/artist.asp?ArtistID=3 Kinsman Robinson Galleries]
* [http://www.protocol.gov.bc.ca/protocol/prgs/obc/1995/1995_RDavidson.htm Order of British Columbia: Robert Davidson]
* [http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0002147 Robert Charles Davidson] at
The Canadian Encyclopedia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Robert Davidson (disambiguation) — Robert Davidson (1804 1894) was a Scottish inventor who built the first known electric locomotive in 1837.Robert Davidson may also refer to: *Robert Davidson (artist) (born 1946), Alaska born Canadian artist *Robert Davidson (footballer) (born… … Wikipedia
Robert Spano — (born May 7, 1961, Conneaut, Ohio) is an American conductor and pianist. Since 2001 he has been Music Director of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (ASO), and he served as Music Director of the Brooklyn Philharmonic from 1996 to 2004.… … Wikipedia
Davidson College — Motto Alenda Lux Ubi Orta Libertas (Latin) Motto in English Let Learning Be Cherished Where Liberty Has Arisen Established 1837 … Wikipedia
Robert Blake (Schauspieler) — Robert Blake (* 18. September 1933 in Nutley, New Jersey; gebürtig Michael James Vijencio Gubitosi) ist ein US amerikanischer Schauspieler. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben und Leistungen 2 Filmografie (Auswahl) 3 We … Deutsch Wikipedia
Robert Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell — Baden Powell redirects here. For other meanings, see Baden Powell (disambiguation). Stephe redirects here. It is not to be confused with Steph, Stephie, Stephy, or Stephen. Robert Baden Powell, 1st Baron Baden Powell … Wikipedia
Robert Bathurst — Infobox actor name = Robert Bathurst caption = Robert Bathurst records the DVD audio commentary for Joking Apart in January 2006 birthdate = 1958 birthplace = Ghana occupation = Actor yearsactive = 1980–present spouse = Victoria Threlfall… … Wikipedia
Florence Davidson — Florence Edenshaw Davidson (1896 1993) was a Canadian First Nations artist from the Haida nation who created traditional basketry and button blankets and was also a respected elder in her First Nations community, the Haida village of Masset,… … Wikipedia
Reg Davidson — (born 1954) is a Canadian First Nations carver and a member of the Haida nation.He was born in 1954 at the Haida village of Masset on the Queen Charlotte Islands of British Columbia. His parents are Claude and Vivian Davidson and, through Claude … Wikipedia
Jay Simeon (artist) — Jay Simeon (b. July 27, 1976) is a Canadian artist of Haida heritage. He was born into the Kaawaas branch of the Sdast’a.aas Eagle clan. His crests are Eagle, Supernatural Killer Whale, Frog, Beaver, and Raven.Jay has been practicing Haida art… … Wikipedia
Donald Davidson (poet) — For other people named Donald Davidson, see Donald Davidson (disambiguation). Donald Grady Davidson (August 8, 1893, Campbellsville in Giles County, Tennessee – April 25, 1968, Nashville, Tennessee) was a U.S. poet, essayist, social and literary… … Wikipedia