- Dan Cohn-Sherbok
Dan Cohn-Sherbok is a rabbi of Reform Judaism, a Jewish theologian and a prolific author on religion. He is Professor Emeritus of Judaism at the University of Wales, Honorary Professor at the University of Abersystwyth, Visiting Professor at St Mary's University College, London, York St John University and the University of Wales Trinity Saint David, and Visiting Research Fellow at Heythrop College, University of London.
Born 1945 in Denver, Colorado, he was a student at Williams College, Massachusetts, spending a junior year abroad in Athens, Greece. He was ordained a Reform rabbi at the Hebrew Union College at Cincinnati. He served as Chaplain of the Colorado House of Representatives. He has served as a rabbi in the United States, England, Australia and South Africa.He was a student at Wolfson College, Cambridge, and rowed in the 1st college boat. He received a doctorate in philosophy from the University of Cambridge in England. Later, he received a doctorate in divinity from the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, New York. He taught theology at the University of Kent and served as Director of the Centre for the Study of Religion and Society, and was Professor of Judaism at the University of Wales. He has served as Visiting Professor at the Universities of Essex, Middlesex, St. Andrews, Durham, Vilnius, Trinity University College, St Mary's University College and Charles University, Prague. He has been a Visiting Fellow at Wolfson College, Cambridge, and Harris Manchester College, Oxford, a Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society, a Corresponding Fellow of the Academy of Jewish Philosophy, a Visiting Research Fellow of Heythrop College, University of London, a Life Member of Wolfson College, Cambridge, an Honorary Senior Member of Darwin College, University of Kent, an Associate Member of the SCR and Honorary Member of High Table Christ Church, Oxford and a Member of the Arts and Humanities Peer Review College . He has also served as a Visiting Scholar of Mansfield College, Oxford, the Oxford Centre for Postgraduate Studies and Sarum College . He is married to Lavinia Cohn-Sherbok.
Contrary to the official position of Reform Judaism, Cohn-Sherbok is sympathetic to Messianic Judaism and Secular Humanistic Judaism, as well as the Order of the Lotus (which purports to be a Jewish-Buddhist synthesis). In his view, Judaism today is pluriform in nature: no longer is there an overarching authority which can determine correct belief and practice. As a consequence, the Jewish community has splintered into a variety of subgroups, ranging from the strictly Orthodox to the most liberal; in addition, some groups have syncretistically borrowed from other religious traditions.
Cohn-Sherbok is the author and editor of over 80 books which have been translated into Russian, Greek, Bulgarian, Hebrew, French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Swedish, Japanese, and German. He has also published cartoons in books and magazines. His books include:
- Cohn-Sherbok, "Judaism Today". Paperback ed. Continuum Int'l. Pub Group, 2011
- Cohn-Sherbok, "Dictionary of Kabbalah and Kabbalists. Hardcover ed. Impress Books, 2009.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. The Paradox of Anti-Semitism. Hardcover ed. Continuum Int'l. Pub. Group, 2006.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. The Politics of Apocalypse: the History and Influence of Christian Zionism. Paperback ed. Oneworld Publications, 2006.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. Vision of Judaism: Wrestling with God. Paperback ed. Continuum Int'l. Pub. Group, 2004.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. Judaism: History, Belief and Practice. Paperback ed. Taylor & Francis, Inc., 2003.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. Anti-Semitism. Hardcover ed. Sutton Pub., 2002.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan, comp. Holocaust Theology: a Reader. Ed. Dan Cohn-Sherbok. New York: New York Univ. Pr., 2002.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. Interfaith Theology: a Reader. Ed. Dan Cohn-Sherbok. Oneworld Pub., 2002.
- El-Alami, Dawoud, and Daniel C. Cohn-Sherbok. The Palestine-Israeli Conflict: a Beginner's Guide. Paperback ed. Oneworld Books, 2001.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan, ed. Voices of Messianic Judaism: Confronting Critical Issues Facing a Modern Movement. Messianic Jewish Pub., 2001.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. Messianic Judaism. Paperback ed. Continuum Int'l. Pub. Group, 2000.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. The Crucified Jew: Twenty Centuries of Christian Anti-Semitism. Paperback ed. Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1997.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. Atlas of Jewish History. Paperback ed. Taylor & Francis, Inc., 1996.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Daniel. Modern Judaism: From Jewish Diversity to a New Philosophy of Judaism. Hardcover ed. St. Martin's Pr., 1996.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan, and Lavinia Cohn-Sherbok. Jewish and Christian Mysticism: an Introduction. Hardcover ed. Continuum Co., 1994.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. Judaism and Other Faiths. Hardcover ed. Palgrave Macmillan, 1994.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. World Religions and Human Liberation. Harcover ed. Orbis Books, 1994.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. The Jewish Faith. Paperback ed. Continuum Int'l. Pub. Group, 1993.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan. Dictionary of Judaism and Christianity. Continuum Int'l. Pub. Group, 1991.
- Cohn-Sherbok, Dan, ed. Islam in a World of Diverse Faiths. Macmillan Academic and Professional Ltd., 1991.
- "Department of Theology and Religious Studies staff entry "PROFESSOR DAN COHN-SHERBOK"". University of Wales - Lampeter. http://www.lamp.ac.uk/trs/Staff/dan.htm. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Review of Dan Cohn-Sherbok’s The Politics of Apocalypse, January 8, 2008, Calvin L. Smith
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
COHN-SHERBOK, DAN — (1945– ), British professor of Judaism, author, and rabbi. Born and educated in the United States and at Cambridge University, Dan Cohn Sherbok has held academic posts at the University of Kent and, since 1997, at the University of Wales Lampeter … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Messianic Judaism — This article is about a religious movement or sect. For the Jewish religion, see Judaism. For the messiah in Judaism, see Jewish messianism. For specific messianic claimants, see Jewish Messiah claimants … Wikipedia
History of antisemitism — Antisemitism Part of Jewish history … Wikipedia
Мессианский иудаизм — Проверить нейтральность. На странице обсуждения должны быть подробности … Википедия
Talmud — Rabbinic Literature Talmudic literature Mishnah • Tosefta Jerusalem Talmud • Babylonian Talmud Minor tractates Halakhic Midrash Mekhilta de Rabbi Yishmael (Exodus) Mekhilta de Rabbi Shimon (Exodus) Sifra (Leviticus) Sifre (Numbers Deuteronomy) … Wikipedia
Book of Isaiah — This article is about the Book of Isaiah. For the Jewish prophet, see Isaiah. Hebrew Bible … Wikipedia
Daniel Cohen — may refer to: Daniel Cohen (economist) (born 1953), French economist Daniel Cohen (children s writer) (born 1936), American writer Daniel Cohen (professor), CEPH co founder Daniel Cohen (conductor), music director of Gropius Ensemble Cohen v.… … Wikipedia
List of Williams College people — Infobox University name = Williams College motto = E liberalitate E. Williams, armigeri established = 1793 type = Private president= Morton Schapiro city = Williamstown state = MA country = USA campus = Rural undergrad = 1,945 postgrad = 59 staff … Wikipedia
Antisemitism — Part of a series on Discrimination General forms … Wikipedia
Книга пророка Даниила — Запрос «Книга Даниила» перенаправляется сюда; см. также другие значения. Проверить нейтральность. На странице обсуждения должны быть подробности. Книга пророка Даниила … Википедия