- Chinese people
The term Chinese people may refer to any of the following:
- People with Han Chinese ethnicity (often simply referred to as "Chinese" or "ethnic Chinese" in English).
- The Zhonghua minzu, a supra-ethnic concept which includes all 56 ethnic groups living in China that are officially recognized by the government of the People's Republic of China, such as Han, Zhuang, Manchu, Tibetans, and other established ethnic groups who have lived within the borders of China since at least the Qing Dynasty (1644–1911).
- People who hold citizenship of the People's Republic of China (mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau).
- People who hold citizenship of Republic of China (Taiwan) (See political status of Taiwan).
Race (hereditary reasons), nationality, citizenship, place of residence (geographical factors), and ancestry (historical and genealogical factors) can be used to define someone as Chinese.
- The Ranking of Ethnic Chinese Population, Overseas Compatriot Affairs Commission, Republic of China, http://www.ocac.gov.tw/english/public/public.asp?selno=1163&no=1163&level=B, retrieved 2008-11-02 (covers the years 2004 and 2005)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chinese people in Papua New Guinea — 巴布亞新幾內亞華人 巴布亚新几内亚华人 Total population 5,000–20,000 Languages Tok Pisin and English; Cantonese (among older people); … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Sri Lanka — Total population Various estimates Related ethnic groups Chinese people There have been Chinese people in Sri Lanka since the 1700s. Though their numbers dwindled in the decades after independence, in the 1990s and 2000s a new wave of Chinese… … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Kazakhstan — Total population Disputed Regions with significant populations Almaty Related ethnic groups Overseas Chinese The number of Chinese people in Kaz … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Kenya — Total population 3,000–10,000 Regions with significant populations Nairobi, Mombasa[2 … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Senegal — Total population 200 2,000? (c. 2008) Regions with significant populations Dakar[3 … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Spain — Chinese people on the street in Madrid, Spain. Total population 145,425 (2009) … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Iran — Total population 2,000 3,000 Regions with significant populations Tehran and other major cities Languages Chinese; Persian not widely spoken Religion Not known … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Korea — Regions with significant populations North Korea: Sinuiju, Pyongyang, Chongjin South Korea: Seoul, Incheon, Busan … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Pakistan — Total population 10,000 (2009 est.) Regions with significant populations Islamabad · Karachi · Lahore Languages … Wikipedia
Chinese people in Germany — Total population 71,639 (2004) (Includes only People s Republic of China nationals) Regions with significant populations Berlin, Fran … Wikipedia