- Ghost (1984 band)
Ghost Origin Tokyo, Japan Genres Acid folk, experimental rock
Years active 1984–present Labels P.S.F. Records
Associated acts Damon and Naomi Members Masaki Batoh
Core-member Masaki Batoh grew up in Kyoto, Japan where he attended a private school. During this time, he became interested in American and British rock music ranging from Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd to the Velvet Underground and Japanese rock bands such as the Taj Mahal Travellers and the Flower Travellin' Band.
Later, Batoh formed Ghost with a large and often varying lineup. According to reports posted on Allmusic, the group lived a nomadic existence, drifting from ruins of ancient temples to disused subway stations around the Tokyo area.
The band began releasing their work with the albums Ghost and Second Time Around, which were released, respectively, in 1991 and 1992. The American independent label Drag City licensed each of the albums for distribution, and the Los Angeles The Now Sound label picked up two of Batoh's solo albums, released together as well under the title Collected Works. Two albums, Tune In, Turn On, Free Tibet and Snuffbox Immanence, were released simultaneously in 1999.
As well as their own work, Ghost have recorded and performed with the ex-Galaxie 500 duo Damon and Naomi. Five years after releasing both Snuffbox Immanence and Tune In, Turn On, Free Tibet, Ghost returned with Hypnotic Underworld, and there were some changes in the band. Cellist Hiromichi Sakamoto and percussionist Setsuko Furuya left and were replaced by a rhythm section of Takuyuki Moriya (electric bass guitar, double bass, and cello) and Junzo Tateiwa (drums, tabla, and percussion).
In January 2007, Ghost released a new album titled In Stormy Nights.
2008 saw Batoh collaborating live and in the studio with cellist Helena Espvall, resulting in the album Helena Espvall & Masaki Batoh.
- Masaki Batoh (馬頭將噐): vocals, acoustic guitar
- Kazuo Ogino (荻野和夫): piano, electronics
- Michio Kurihara (栗原道夫): electric guitar
- Junzo Tateiwa (立岩潤三): drums, percussion
- Takuyuki Moriya (守屋拓之): bass
- Taishi Takizawa (瀧澤大志, also known as Giant): theremin, flute, saxophone
- Ghost (1990)
- Second Time Around (1992)
- Temple Stone (1994)
- Lama Rabi Rabi (1996)
- Snuffbox Immanence (1999)
- Tune In, Turn On, Free Tibet (1999)
- Hypnotic Underworld (2004)
- Metamorphosis: Ghost Chronicles 1984–-2004 (2005)
- In Stormy Nights (2007)
- Overture: Live in Nippon Yusen Soko 2006 (2007)
- Moungod Air Cave b/w Guru in the Echo (1995) Both tracks recorded live in 1989 and 1994 respectively.
- Holy High b/w Filament (2003)
- Damon and Naomi with Ghost (2000)
- Tama Yura on Tokyo Flashback Vol. 1 (1991)
- Sun is Tangging on Tokyo Flashback Vol. 2 (1992)
- Suspect Tells of Dog Under the Sun on Tokyo Flashback Vol. 3 (1993)
- Way to Coimbula on ALMS: A benefit for Ptolemaic Terrascope (1997)
Masaki Batoh solo
- A Ghost from the Darkened Sea (1995) Total Album Length: 23min & 39sec
- Kikaokubeshi (1996) Total Album Length: 31min & 42sec
- Collected Works 95-96 (2004) Above two albums on one CD.
Masaki Batoh Collaborations
- Helena Espvall & Masaki Batoh (2008)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ghost (disambiguation) — A ghost is a paranormal phenomenon, usually thought to be the spirit of a person remaining on Earth after physical death.Ghost can also refer to:EntertainmentArt* Ghost print, a method of mono printingFilm and television* Ghost (film), a 1990… … Wikipedia
Ghost in the Machine — Studioalbum von The Police Veröffentlichung 2. Oktober 1981 Aufnahme Januar–September 1981 Labe … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ghost train (spiritual entity) — A ghost train refers to a ghost in the form of a train, usually just the locomotive, though there have been some ghost train stories that involve a whole train.Most ghost train sightings have been recorded in the United States and Great Britain,… … Wikipedia
Ghost Town (Poco album) — Infobox Album | Name = Ghost Town Type = Album Artist = Poco Released = 20 September 1982 Recorded = Genre = Country rock Length = 35:45 Label = Atlantic Producer = Poco, John H.R. Mills Last album = Cowboys Englishmen (1982) This album = Ghost… … Wikipedia
E Street Band — Bruce Springsteen Pour les articles homonymes, voir Springsteen (homonymie). Bruce Springsteen Nai … Wikipédia en Français
Dead End (band) — Dead End Origin Tokyo, Japan Genres Hard rock, heavy metal Years active 1984–1990, 2009–present Labels Night Gallery, Victor, BMG … Wikipedia
Madness (band) — Madness performing live Background information Origin Camden Town, London, England, British Genres … Wikipedia
Icehouse (band) — This article is about the Australian rock group Icehouse. For their album see Icehouse (album), for their song see Icehouse (song) and for other uses of Icehouse, see Icehouse (disambiguation). Icehouse Also known as Flowers Iva Davies Icehouse… … Wikipedia
E Street Band — Infobox musical artist Name = E Street Band Background = group or band Origin = New Jersey, USA Genre = Rock Years active = 1972–1989 1995 1999–present Label = Columbia Current members = Roy Bittan Clarence Clemons Nils Lofgren Patti Scialfa… … Wikipedia
The Saints (band) — Infobox musical artist | Name = The Saints Img capt = The Saints current line up performing at the Download Festival, 2005. Left to Right: Chris Bailey, Peter Wilkinson and Casper Wijnberg. Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Origin … Wikipedia