- We Are Not Angels
Ми нисмо анђели
Mi nismo anđeli
We Are Not Angels
Directed by Srđan Dragojević Produced by Gojko Kastratović
Written by Srđan Dragojević Starring Nikola Kojo
Music by Aleksandar Eraković Cinematography Dušan Joksimović Editing by Branka Čeperac Release date(s) 1992 Running time 98 min Language Serbian
We Are Not Angels (Serbian: Ми нисмо анђели, Mi nismo anđeli) is a 1992 Yugoslav comedy directed by Srđan Dragojević that became one of the most popular films of the 1990s in the region of the former Yugoslavia.
The plot revolves around Angel (played by Uroš Đurić) and Devil (Srđan Todorović) fighting for the soul of Belgrade playboy Nikola (Nikola Kojo) who is unaware that he impregnated a high school student named Marina (Milena Pavlović) during a drunken one-night stand.
The film was lauded by critics for its inventive direction, tight editing, urban humour and its large number of pop culture references.
Its commercial success and later cult status, however, could be at least partially attributed to specific circumstances at the time of the film's premiere. Namely, before the film reached theatres, the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia was put under UN sanctions, thus depriving local theatres of Hollywood blockbusters. Many Serbian films filled that void and had great commercial success, including We Are Not Angels.
When the film began shooting, Yugoslavia only just began to disintegrate, so the film refers to certain locations in newly independent and war-torn Croatia as tourist destinations. The war itself is, however, referred to in a brief but darkly comical scene.
The popularity of We Are Not Angels expanded beyond Serbian borders. In Croatia, the film turned into a huge underground attraction and gradually became part of the popular culture, most notably through various slang words that became part of urban vocabulary.
- Nikola Milojević (Nikola Kojo) is a Belgrade playboy who has slept with almost every girl in town. He is a 20-year old literature student, and lives with his friend Marta. He has one problem: due to his regular morning hangovers he can never remember the girl he slept with the night before. Marina's pregnancy makes Nikola insecure and frightened, but he finally falls in love with Marina. They get a baby girl, named Sofija.
- Marina (Milena Pavlović) is an 18-year old honor student. Nikola is the first guy she's slept with, but she gets pregnant. She decides to keep the baby, and falls in love with Nikola, wanting him all for herself. Her friend Buba has many plans of how to do it, and Marina's not always all right with her plans but still carries through with them. At the end of the movie, Marina gives a birth to a beautiful baby girl, Sofija.
- Ljubinka Buba Prodanović (Branka Katić) is Marina's best friend, an 18-year old pupil of the High School of Beauty Care. She is the world's biggest fan of Barbara Sidney (a fictional author), and also the author of the book The most famous playboys of Belgrade. Buba tries to get Marina and Nikola together, basing her plans on Barbara Sidney's novels. She is helped by Raca, who she constantly spurns until the end of the movie.
- Devil (Srđan Todorović) and Angel (Uroš Đurić) - the two act like enemies, but in fact they are best friends. They're playing a game - if Nikola falls in love with Marina and takes care of their baby, Angel wins in the game. If Nikola refuses to take the responsibility, Devil wins. They both have their tricks, but, in the end, Angel wins. But, Angel says that it's just a game, and he's not acting like he's won.
- We Are Not Angels 2
- We Are Not Angels 3: Rockenroll Strikes Back
Two sequels, We Are Not Angels 2 (2005) and We Are Not Angels 3: Rockenroll Strikes Back (2006) were filmed and released in 2005 and 2006.
- In 1996, the members of the Yugoslavian Board of the Academy of Film Art and Science (AFUN) voted this film the ninth best Serbian movie in the 1947-1995 period.
- The sequel We Are Not Angels 2 made Mirka Vasiljević a very popular young actress in Serbia and teen idol.
Films directed by Srđan Dragojević Cinema of Serbia
Actors • Directors • Films A-Z • Films by year • Cinematographers • Composers • Editors • Producers • Screenwriters
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Not Angels But Angels — Directed by Wiktor Grodecki Written by Wiktor Grodecki Cinematography Vladimír Holomek Editing by Wiktor Grodecki … Wikipedia
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone — Japanese movie poster Kanji ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版: 序 Rōmaji … Wikipedia
ANGELS AND ANGELOLOGY — ANGELS AND ANGELOLOGY. The entry is arranged according to the following outline: bible terminology angels as a group the angel of the lord in the hagiographa silence of the prophets ezekiel and zechariah daniel apocrypha among the jewish sects… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Angels — Angels † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Angels (Latin angelus; Greek aggelos; from the Hebrew for one going or one sent ; messenger). The word is used in Hebrew to denote indifferently either a divine or human messenger. The Septuagint… … Catholic encyclopedia
Angels of Mons — The Angels of Mons is a popular legend about a group of angels who supposedly protected members of the British army in the Battle of Mons at the outset of World War I. The story is fictitious, developed through a combination of a patriotic short… … Wikipedia
Angels & Demons — This article is about the novel Angels and Demons. For the movie, see Angels Demons (film). For other uses, see Angels Demons (disambiguation). Angels Demons … Wikipedia
Angels 2200 — Infobox comic strip title= Angels 2200 caption= author= Peter Haynes and Nathaniel Savio url= http://www.angels2200.com/ rss= atom= status= Monday, Wednesday, Friday syndicate= publisher= first= 2002 last= genre= Science fiction rating= preceded… … Wikipedia
Angels Fall First — This article is about a music album. For the video game, see Angels Fall First: Planetstorm. Angels Fall First Studio album by Nightwish … Wikipedia
Angels of the Universe — Infobox Film name = Angels of the Universe image size = caption = director = Friðrik Þór Friðriksson producer = Friðrik Þór Friðriksson writer = Einar Már Guðmundsson narrator = starring = Ingvar E. Sigurðsson, Baltasar Kormákur, Björn Jörundur… … Wikipedia
angels dancing on the head of a pin — noun Arcane intellectual speculation. We are not talking about angels dancing on the head of a pin here … Wiktionary