- Miles per hour
Miles per hour is an imperial unit of speed expressing the number of statute miles covered in one hour. It is currently the standard unit used for speed limits, and to express speeds generally, on roads in the United Kingdom and the United States. It is also often used to express the speed of delivery of a ball in various sporting events, such as cricket, tennis, and baseball. A common abbreviation is mph or MPH.
In the International System of Units (SI), the basic unit of speed or velocity is m/s. Road traffic speeds in most countries are quoted in km/h. Occasionally, however, both systems are used: for example, in Ireland, a judge considered a speeding case by examining speeds in both kilometres per hour and miles per hour. The judge was quoted as saying the speed seemed "very excessive" at 180 km/h but did not look "as bad" at 112 mph; a reduced fine was still imposed on the speeding driver.
1 mph is equal to:
- 0.44704 m/s, the SI derived unit
- 1.609344 km/h
- 1.4667 feet per second (= 22/15 feet per second)
- approx. 0.868976 knots
When converting miles per hour to another unit of measurement, or vice versa, it helps to know exactly how miles and hours are related to other units of distance and time, respectively. For example, 1 mile is equal to 5,280 feet, 1,760 yards, or 1,609.344 metres. Likewise, 1 hour is equal to 60 minutes, or 3,600 seconds.
Conversions between common units of speed m/s km/h mph knot ft/s 1 m/s = 1 3.6 2.236936 1.943844 3.280840 1 km/h = 0.277778 1 0.621371 0.539957 0.911344 1 mph = 0.44704 1.609344 1 0.868976 1.466667 1 knot = 0.514444 1.852 1.150779 1 1.687810 1 ft/s = 0.3048 1.09728 0.681818 0.592484 1
(Values in bold face are exact.)
- ^ Speed limit signs (UK) Department for Transport. Retrieved 14 September 2011
- ^ "Modern Living: Think Metric". Time Magazine. June 09, 1975. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,913145,00.html. Retrieved 2010-06-15. "Meanwhile, the metricization of America is already taking place. Individual federal agencies, school systems, states and industries, as well as radio announcers, supermarkets, beverage bottlers and ballpark scoreboards, are hastening the everyday use of meters, liters and grams. ...a road sign outside Fergus Falls reads, ST. CLOUD 100 MILES OR 161 KILOMETERS. Other signs note that 55 m.p.h. equals 88 kilometers per hour."
- ^ The Associated Press (November 1, 2007). "Another Metric System Fault". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9400E1D61438F932A35752C1A9619C8B63. Retrieved 1 November 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
miles per hour — ➔ mph * * * miles an/per hour (ABBREVIATION mph) ► MEASURES, TRANSPORT used for saying how fast a vehicle, plane, etc. is travelling or can travel: »The speed limit on UK motorways is 70 miles per hour. Main Entry: ↑ … Financial and business terms
miles per hour — noun 1. the ratio of the distance traveled (in miles) to the time spent traveling (in hours) (Freq. 3) • Syn: ↑mph • Hypernyms: ↑rate 2. a speedometer reading for the momentary rate of travel … Useful english dictionary
Miles per hour — Meilen pro Stunde (mph für Englisch: miles per hour) ist eine Maßeinheit der Geschwindigkeit. Trotz der offiziellen Abkürzung mi für mile(s) wird diese Größe kaum je als ‚mi/h‘ angegeben, ausgenommen in technischen Publikationen. Ein Objekt, das… … Deutsch Wikipedia
miles per hour — number of miles traveled in an hour … English contemporary dictionary
miles per hour — Synonyms and related words: air speed, celerity, dispatch, expedition, fastness, flight, flit, flurry, ground speed, haste, hurry, instantaneousness, knots, lightning speed, precipitation, promptitude, promptness, quickness, rapidity, round pace … Moby Thesaurus
miles per hour — See mph … Dictionary of automotive terms
More Miles Per Hour — Studio album by John Miles Released April 1979 … Wikipedia
miles an hour — miles an/per/hour phrase the number of miles that a vehicle travels in an hour A 14 year old was caught driving at 50 miles per hour. Thesaurus: units for measuring speed of movementhyponym to move somewhere quickly … Useful english dictionary
miles an hour — miles an/per hour (ABBREVIATION mph) ► MEASURES, TRANSPORT used for saying how fast a vehicle, plane, etc. is travelling or can travel: »The speed limit on UK motorways is 70 miles per hour. Main Entry: ↑mile … Financial and business terms
miles an/per hour — (ABBREVIATION mph) ► MEASURES, TRANSPORT used for saying how fast a vehicle, plane, etc. is travelling or can travel: »The speed limit on UK motorways is 70 miles per hour. Main Entry: ↑mile … Financial and business terms