image_shield = Kavadarci Zname1.gif
dot_x = |dot_y =
pushpin_map_caption =Location within Macedonia
subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_name = MKD
subdivision_type1 = Municipality
elevation_m = 150
population_as_of =Fact|date=January 2008
timezone = CET
utc_offset = +1
timezone_DST = CEST
utc_offset_DST = +2
latd=41 |latm=26 |lats= |latNS=N
longd=22 |longm=00 |longs= |longEW=E
postal_code_type = Postal code
area_code =+389 043
website = [http://www.kavadarci.gov.mk/ www.kavadarci.gov.mk/]
Kavadarci ( _mk. Кавадарци, audio-IPA|Mk-Kavadarci.ogg| [kaˈvadartsi] ) is a town located in the
Tikvešregion of The Republic of Macedonia. Situated in the heart of Macedonia’s winecountry, it is home to the country’s largest manmade lakeand the largest wineryin south-eastern Europe, [ [http://www.tikves.com.mk/default-en.asp?ItemID=44FBB6CC2AF07F47B32FD78B219038A6 Official Tikveš Winery Website] ] both named after the Tikvešplain. The town of Kavadarci is a seat of the Kavadarci municipality.
Numerous stories exist regarding the name of Kavadarci, one of the most popular involves the legend of Nikola Chulev and his lost cow from the village of Raštani. One day whilst looking for his cow, Nikola fell from a large rock hurting himself badly. Being unable to walk because of his injuries, he skinned his cow in order to survive. News of this travelled to areas nearby and the place was soon named Kravoder after the cow, over the course of time this name changed into Kavadarci. Names that Kavadarci has also been known by are "Kavadarce", "Kavardžik" and "Kavadardžik".Another legend tells us a story where a Serbian king visits the village that is now called Kavadarci. The villagers asked the king what he wants to drink. He said, he wants coffee, and in Serbian language it's pronounced "kava". The villagers brought him so much coffee that he had to take it with him on the way back home. So, because he received coffee as a gift, and gift in the local language is pronounced "dar", therefore he noted the name of the village as "kava-dar", it means "coffee-gift", because he didn't know the original name of the village. So, following the kings direction, all the maps that were made after, stated that the village name is Kavadar, and it later became Kavadarci.
Tikvešregion near Kavadarci, many artefacts and structures have been discovered dating back to prehistoric times. Bronze and ceramic artefacts were discovered at an archaeological site in the nearby town of Stobi( _mk. Стоби) dating back to the 6th and 7th century BC.
This town is said to have been established during the
Hellenicperiod, being situated on the main road of Via Egnatiathat led from the Danubeto the Aegean Seameant it became an important military, economic and cultural hub at the time.
The establishment of a mint during the Roman period aided in its prosperity and achieving the status of
municipium, denars and coins reading “Municipium Stobensium” were also produced in this area. Numerous buildings and monuments of this era such as a theatre have been discovered at this site.
Jewishcommunity is said to have existed in Stobiduring the 3rd century, however its Synagoguewas torn down in the 4th century and a Christian Basilicawas built in its place.
In the late 5th and early 6th century, the town was devastated in the great Avaro-Slavonic invasions.
Stobiwhich was previously the centre of this region was replaced by the new village of Dukena.
The Ottoman Empire
Much change took place during the occupation of the
Ottoman Empirein the 14th century, the occupying Turks destroyed all existing villages replacing them with oriental architecture. Villagers from Rashtani and Dukena fleeing from the Turks settled in a new area, bringing with them many families that still exist in Kavadarci today. From this settlement a new village emerged, during the 17th century this growing village attracted much attention and spurred a large migration of people from the surrounding hills and villages, thus establishing the new town called Kavadarci.
Records show at the close of the 19th century 1,330 homes existed in Kavadarci:620 of these were Slav, 709 Turkish and one was
Jewish. During this time Kavadarci was under the jurisdiction of Bitola’s area Pashaluk(Ottoman military territorial unit controlled by a Pasha). With the Turkish majority, many beysresidences and several mosqueswere built throughout the town. By this time Kavadarci had also been firmly established as the new centre of the Tikvešregion.
After the forming of the
TMOROcommittee by Dame Gruevin 1894 and the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie Uprisingmany revolutionary troops operated in the Tikvešarea, working with the aim of liberating Macedonia from the Ottoman Empire.
The 20th century
Balkan Warsof 1912 and 1913 and the dissolution of the Ottoman Empiremany Musliminhabitants began emigrating from this area. Most of the Turkish and Muslimpopulation left Kavadarci completely between 1935 and 1936. It is during this period that Kavadarci flourished, becoming a large economic, administrative and political centre in the Tikvešarea. However this rapid development declined Fact|date=June 2007 during the period of Bulgarian occupation when the region of Macedonia was divided between Greece, Bulgariaand Serbia.
In June 1913, the
TikvešUprising took place against the Serbian occupational forces. The resistance fighters freed the majority of the Tikvešregion, including the towns of Kavadarci, Negotino, Vataša and several small villages. Serbian military forces killed approximately 1,200 people and burnt more than 1,000 homes. Most of Turks fleed to Turkey. Recep Vardarlı moved to Turkey and founded Tikveşli ("Came from Tikveş" for Turkish) company, which produces yogurt and ayran, in 1943. The firm was sold to Danonein 1998.
Second World War, the town fell under German and Bulgarian occupation for a total of 4 years, suffering great losses with over 300 people being killed until the withdrawal of the Bulgarian forces. In the village of Vataša, a monument was erected to twelve communist guerrilas who were executed by Bulgarian forces on the 16th June 1943 during the Second World War.
Municipality of Kavadarci
The Municipality of Kavadarci spreads from the central region of Povardarie to the highlands of Vitacevo and is located next to the
Reka Crna, Black River ( _mk. Црна Река) and the River Vardar( _mk. Вардар). Covering a large area in the Tikvešvalley with a total ground surface of convert|391|km2|sqmi|0|abbr=on, it comprises 23 settlements, the largest of these being Vataša ( _mk. Ваташа).
The Tikveski Grozdober -
Tikveš GrapePicking ( _mk. ТИКВЕШКИ ГРОЗДОБЕР) was a festival that officially began in 1964. Held to mark the beginning of the wine grapeharvest as well as commemorating the liberation of Kavadarci. It takes place over several days and is one the largest cultural manifestations of its kind in the region.
The festival includes folk, pop and rock concerts, traditional dancing, seminars, presentations and exhibitions. During this time the city centre houses many temporary restaurants, stalls and shops, opened to allow visitors to experience the smells and tastes of local delicacies. This culminates in a carnival procession through the main streets of the town.
Places of Interest
Tikveš Lake( _mk. Тиквеш Езеро) is the largest manmade lakein the Republic of Macedonia, it is located convert|165|m|ft|0|abbr=on above sea level, convert|12|km|mi|0|abbr=on southwest of Kavadarci on the Reka Crna, and convert|3|km|mi|0|abbr=on from the village of Vozarci. The lakewas built in 1968 by redirecting river water and building a convert|104|m|ft|0|abbr=on high dam, it has a surface area of approximately convert|14|km2|sqmi|0|abbr=on, a length of convert|28.5|m|ft|1|abbr=on and width of 500 m. Average temperature of the water is 24 °C, maximum depth is convert|150|m|ft|0|abbr=on and the total volume is approximately 475 m³. Its two main sources of water are the Reka Crnaand the Dragov River.
The artificial accumulation is used for providing water to the local area for businesses such as irrigation and fisheries. Generating electricity through the use of a Hydro Power Plant (HPP), as a site for sports and recreation as well as being a popular tourist attraction due to the cultural monuments and rich flora and fauna of the area.
The area around
Tikveš Lakehas been designated a protected zone, this was established and supported as a conservation project for the protection of the wildlife and surrounding environment by a local environmental association ODEK and a public enterprise Tikvesko Pole.
Tikveš Strict Natural Reserve
Established in 1997, the
TikvešStrict Natural Reserve is located convert|30|km|mi|0|abbr=on southeast of Kavadarci and covers an area of approximately convert|100|km2|sqmi|-1. 23 species of predatory birds are present in the reserve and of these 17 nest in this area, it is said to be one of the most important ornithological sites in Europe.
Pološki Monastery and Church of St. Bogorodica of Drenovo
Built in the 14th century by a father and a son from Prespa ( _mk. Преспа), well known at the time for building monasteries and churches across Macedonia. The pair set to work with the son building a church in Drenovo ( _mk. Дреново) and the father the Pološki
Monastery( _mk. Полошки Манастир), after the father had completed construction of the Pološki Monasteryhe returned to Drenovo.
The vanity and arrogance of the son made him claim that the church he built was so beautiful and so well made that even if Saint Ilija came down from the heavens himself. He would not be able to destroy it, at that moment a lightning bolt appeared out of the blue sky, Saint Ilija angered by this claim split the new church in half. It is said that if the break is repaired, each year on the day of Ilinden ( _mk. Илинден), August 2nd (St. Elijah's Day) the church will split in the exactly same place.
The church within the Pološki
Monasteryis dedicated to Sveti Gorgija (Saint George) and is located on the southwestern shore of Tikveš Lakethat is accessible only by boat. Its frescopaintings are completely preserved and can be dated back to the 14th century. The only exception being those in the narthexthat was built during the 17th century, the most recent and last restoration to the building took place during the 19th century. The monasteryis well known for its collections of unique icons, wood carvings and especially for its fresco-art that differ from others of the same period due to its unusual compositions.
Marko’s Tower is a stone edifice located in the centre of Kavadarci, it was erected during the 18th century. The square shaped structure stands at approximately twenty metres (60 ft) with five stories, its walls are one metre (3.2 ft) thick, with three windows located on the fourth and fifth floor. The only entrance is located by the door on the second floor, accessible via a stone staircase. On the south wall of the fourth floor remains an opening that was used for defence, the opening on the fifth floor was to dispose of dirty water.
Ivan Mazov-Klima House of Culture
The cultural centre was founded in 1952 and formed an ensemble in 1953, the
TikvešFolk Ensemble is composed of 115 members and performs choreographed folksongs and dances throughout the country and abroad.
City Museum and Gallery
Built in 1973 and opened to the public in 1976, the
museumhouses many historical, archaeological and cultural exhibits. The gallery showcases work from local and international artists, organising between 5 to 8 exhibitions each year.
* [http://www.kavadarci.gov.mk/?jazik=2&id=01 Official Municipality of Kavadarci Website]
* [http://www.culture.org.mk/ekavadarci%20frames.htm Come to Macedonia and Your Heart Will Remain Here]
* [http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/FYR_of_Macedonia/Opstina_Kavadarci/Kavadarci-452657/TravelGuide-Kavadarci.html VirtualTourist.com Kavadarci Travel Guide]
* [http://www.cybermacedonia.com/kavadarc.html Cyber Macedonia Kavadarci Information Page]
* [http://www.macedonia.co.uk/client/index1.aspx?page=272 Macedonian Cultural & Information Centre]
* [http://www.grozdober.com.mk Tikveski Grozdober]
* [http://www.tikves.com.mk/ Official Tikveš Winery Website]
* [http://www.exploringmacedonia.com/?ItemID=1C3B610C33C5D34DA94EE07E2AF87EF6 ExploringMacedonia.com National Tourism Portal]
* [http://kavadarci.freeservers.com/Index1.htm Official City of Kavadarci Website]
* [http://www.kavadarci.info/ Kavadarci Information Page]
* [http://www.kavadarci.tonight.com.mk/first.php Kavadarci Tonight]
* [http://www.virlios.com.mk WiFiNet prv i najdobar bezicen internet ]
* [http://www.zolta.com.mk Zolta - Official city portal, latest news and events ]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kavadarci — Кавадарци … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kavadarci — Kavadartsi Kavadarci Кавадарци Héraldique Ad … Wikipédia en Français
Kavadarci — Original name in latin Kavadarci Name in other language Kavadar, Kavadarci, Kavadarcis, Kavadari, Kavadartsi, Kavantartsi, Kawadarci, Tikves, Tikvesh, Tikve ka wa da er qi, kafadarchy, qbdrzy, Кавадарци, Кавадарці State code MK Continent/City… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Kavadarci — Sp Kavãdarcis Ap Кавадарци/Kavadarci L Makedonija … Pasaulio vietovardžiai. Internetinė duomenų bazė
Kavadarci — Admin ASC 1 Code Orig. name Kavadarci Country and Admin Code MK.D6 MK … World countries Adminstrative division ASC I-II
Kavadarci — noun A city in the southeast of the Republic of Macedonia … Wiktionary
Kavadarci Municipality — Општина Кавадарци Municipality … Wikipedia
Kavadarci municipality — Infobox Municipality in the Republic of Macedonia municipality name=Kavadarci municipality municipality name mkd=Општина Кавадарци population=38,741 density= status= area code= mayor= car plates= website= municipality location=MKD muni… … Wikipedia
Municipalidad de Kavadarci — Општина Кавадарци Municipalidad de República de Macedonia … Wikipedia Español
Kavadartsi — 41°26′N 22°01′E / 41.433, 22.017 … Wikipédia en Français