- Ozark English
Ozark English is a dialect of American English, spoken in the Ozark Mountain region of northern Arkansas and southern Missouri, that is more closely related to Appalachian English than to the North Midland and South Midland dialects of the surrounding regions. Its distinctive features include phonological idiosyncrasies (many of which it shares with Appalachian English); certain syntactic patterns, such as the use of for to, rather than to, before infinitives in some constructions; and a number of lexical peculiarities.
- ^ Linda L. Blanton, "Southern Appalachia: Social Considerations of Speech", in J. L. Dillard, Toward a Social History of American English (Berlin: Mouton, 1985), p. 83
- ^ A. Lynn Williams, Speech Disorders: Resource Guide for Preschool Children (Clifton Park: Thomson/Delmar, 2003), p. 43
- ^ Alison Henry, Belfast English and Standard English: Dialect Variation and Parameter Setting (New York: Oxford UP, 1995), p. 81
- ^ Vance Randolph, "More Words from the Ozarks", Dialect Notes 5.10 (1927), p. 472
- Donna Christian, Walt Wolfram, and Nanjo Dube (1988). Variation and Change in Geographically Isolated Communities: Appalachian English and Ozark English. Tuscaloosa, Alabama: American Dialect Society. ISBN 0817304339 (ISBN 9780817304331).
- Rebecca Haden (1993). "Notes on the for–to complement in Ozark English". Ozark English Quarterly 1: 7–8.
- Suzette H. Elgin (1981). "The Ozark WHICH/THAT". The Lonesome Node 1 (2): 2–7.
- Suzette H. Elgin (1983). "On Cows and the Ozark English Auxiliary". The Lonesome Node 3 (2): 9–16.
- "Appalachian English and Ozark English" in the Encyclopedia of Appalachia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ozark Southern English — Ozark is a dialect of American English that is phonologically distinct from other Southern dialects. Due to the isolation of the mountainous region and the late settlement of the area, the Ozark mountains feature a variant of hillspar that is… … Wikipedia
Ozark Jubilee — Also known as Country Music Jubilee Jubilee USA Format Country music … Wikipedia
Ozark Adventist Academy — Ozark Adventist Academy(OAA) Address 20997 Dawn Hill East Road Gentry, Arkansas 72734 … Wikipedia
Ozark County, Missouri — Location in the state of Missouri … Wikipedia
English language — English Pronunciation /ˈ … Wikipedia
English in the Commonwealth of Nations — The use of the English language in most member countries of the Commonwealth of Nations was inherited from British colonisation. English is spoken as a first or second language in most of the Commonwealth. In a few countries, such as Cyprus and… … Wikipedia
List of dialects of the English language — This is a list of dialects of the English language. Dialects are linguistic varieties which differ in pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar from each other and from Standard English (which is itself a dialect). Dialects can be usefully defined as … Wikipedia
An Ozark Romance — Directed by Alfred J. Goulding Produced by Hal Roach Starring Harold Lloyd Release d … Wikipedia
American English — US English redirects here. For the political organization, see U.S. English (organization). For other uses, see American English (disambiguation). English language prevalence in the United States. Darker shades of blue indicate higher… … Wikipedia
Australian English — (AusE, AuE, AusEng, en AU) is the name given to the group of dialects spoken in Australia that form a major variety of the English language. English is the primary language spoken throughout Australia … Wikipedia