- Ye Maaya Chesave
Ye Maaya Chesave Directed by Gautham Menon Produced by Manjula Ghattamaneni
Written by Gautham Menon Starring Naga Chaitanya
Music by A. R. Rahman Cinematography Manoj Paramahamsa Editing by Anthony Gonsalves Studio Indira Productions Release date(s) 26 February 2010 Country India Language Telugu Budget 10 crore Box office 18-20 crore 
Ye Maaya Chesave (Telugu: ఏ మాయ చేసావే; English: What Magic Have You Done to me?) is a 2010 Telugu-language romantic drama written and directed by Gautham Menon. The film stars Naga Chaitanya and Samantha Ruth Prabhu in the lead roles. It was produced by Manjula Ghattamaneni under the banner Indira Productions, and features a very successful music soundtrack composed by A. R. Rahman. Other credits include cinematography by Manoj Paramahamsa, dialogues by Umarji Anuradha and editing by Anthony Gonsalves. The film was simultaneously shot in Tamil as Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa with a different cast and climax. The film's Television rights were sold to Zee Telugu.
The film portrays the complicated relationship between a Telugu Hindu assistant director, Karthik, and a Malayali Christian girl, Jessie whom he falls in love with. Jessie is torn between her love for Karthik and her family, who is steadfast in their disapproval of him. This results in a volatile relationship until Jessie leaves him without an explanation. They accidentally meet after a couple of years and the movie takes a different turn.
The Tamil version was made following much speculation that Gautham Menon was set to remake the film with Manjula's brother, Mahesh Babu. Shooting continued through the latter part of 2009, with the film garnering significant media interest, with schedules in the United States, with Princeton University being used as a backdrop for song picturisation. Prior to release, the film experienced phenomenal success for a Telugu film, with Rahman being critically praised for his score. The film, released on 26 February 2010, along with the Tamil version to advanced bookings worldwide and received positive reviews and was declared a successful venture at the box office.
Karthik (Naga Chaitanya), is a mechanical engineering graduate but aspires to become a filmmaker. Through his friend, Karthik gets introduced to a cinematographer. With the support of him, Karthik becomes an assistant director to Puri Jagannadh. Karthik's family, who are Hindus, lives on rent on the ground floor of a two storeyed house which belongs to Jessie's (Samantha Ruth Prabhu) family, a conservative Malayali Catholic family from Alappuzha, Kerala, who live on the floor upstairs. When Karthik meets Jessie for the first time, he falls in love with her. Karthik expresses his love one day to Jessie, who is afraid of speaking to other men around her strict father's sight, and ends up angering Jessie. The two meet several times afterwards and Jessie begins to admit that she also liked Karthik, but wants to refrain from any problems because she knows her father won't accept a Hindu to marry his daughter. Her parents came to know about their affair and arrange a marriage for her. But at the wedding, she refuses to marry the groom, displeasing everyone in her family. Karthik and Jessie continue to love each other without the knowledge of their parents. Suddenly, Jessie is forced by her father to marry and seeks Karthik's help, who was in Goa for a film shooting. Karthik is unable to attend to her calls and messages as he was busy on the shooting spot and Jessie is unable to reach him. After a tense phone call from Jessie, Karthik goes back one night to check on Jessie. An angry and hurt Jessie makes a final decision to break up with Karthik because of her father's strong disapproval of their love.
Later on, Karthik gets to know that Jessie got married and is settled abroad through his sister. Two years later, Karthik meets Nandini (Sapan Saran), who falls in love with him, but is rejected by Karthik who cites his previous affair with Jessie whom he could still not get over. He then comes up with a script for his first film, which happens to be his very own love story. He calls upon Silambarasan Rajendar as the film's protagonist and Trisha Krishnan (who are actual leads in Tamil version of the film) as the female lead. The film is eventually titled Jessie. He then sees Jessie 3 years later in US, and thinks she is married. However she reveals to him that she is not married. She refused to marry anyone her parents set up because they rejected Karthik. Out of anger, her parents leave. They then get married at a Hindu temple and a church. The film ends at a theater where they watch "Jessi" that was directed by Karthik.
After the announcement of Gautham Menon's Tamil project, Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa, Superstar Nagarjuna Akkineni approached Gautham Menon to do a Telugu version of the same, with his son, Naga Chaitanya in the lead. Gautham, who was initially hesitant to do another version, later agreed to Nagarjuna's proposal and scheduled the shoots of many portions of both versions simultaneously. A.R.Rahman retained all the same sound tracks used in Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa.
The film got positive reviews from all over especially actress Samantha Ruth Prabhu who won a lot of critical acclaim for her performance which eventually emerged her as the top heroine in Telugu film industry. Though the movie had a happy ending, the critics stated that the twist in the Tamil version's climax made much more sense.
- A.R.Rahman reused all the sound tracks from the Tamil version and also got his first Telugu Filmfare Award.
- Gautham Menon decided not to work with 'Indra Productions' by Manjula Ghattamaneni anymore after a tiff in the sets.
- The lead actors Naga Chaitanya and Samantha made special appearances in the Tamil version, whereas Silambaran and Trisha who played the lead in the Tamil version made special appearances here.
- Actress Samantha was awarded the Filmfare best debut actress which put her in the top slot in Telugu film industry.
- Naga Chaitanya as Karthik Sivakumar
- Samantha Ruth Prabhu as Jessie Thekekuttu
- Krishnudu as Karthik’s Friend
- Sapan Saran as Nandhini
- Sanjay Swaroop as Karthik's Father
- Surekha Vani
- Puri Jagannadh as Himself
- Gautham Menon in a Special Appearance
- Silambarasan Rajendar in a Guest Appearance
- Trisha Krishnan in a Guest Appearance
Character map of remakes
Ye Maaya Chesave
Ek Deewana Tha
Simbhu Naga Chaitanya Prateik Babbar Trisha Krishnan Samantha Amy Jackson Ganesh Krishnudu
- Best Screenplay Writer - Gautham Menon
- Best Female Dubbing Artist - Chinmayi (dubbing for Samantha)
- Special Jury Award - Samantha Ruth Prabhu
- Best Music Director - A. R. Rahman
- Best Female Debutant - Samantha Ruth Prabhu
- Best Cinematographer - Manoj Paramahamsa
- Best Director - Gautham Menon
- Best Music Director - A.R.Rahman
- Best Cinematographer - Manoj Paramahamsa
- Best Female Debut - Samantha Ruth Prabhu
Ye Maaya Chesave Soundtrack album by A.R Rahman Released February 3, 2010 Recorded Panchathan Record Inn and AM Studios
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Label Sony Music Producer A. R. Rahman A.R Rahman chronology Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa
Ye Maaya Chesave
All the songs composed by A. R. Rahman for Vinnai Thaandi Varuvaaya were retained in the Telugu version, with Telugu lyrics by Anantha Sreeram and Malayalam lyrics by Kaithapram for "Aaromale" and by Kalyani Menon for "Kundanapu Bomma". The rap portion of "Ee Hrudayam" was written by Blaaze. A. R. Rahman has won best music director award in 58th filmfare awards(South).
Tracklist No. Title Singer(s) Length 1. "Kundanapu Bomma" (malayalam lyrics by Kalyani Menon) Benny Dayal, Kalyani Menon 5:32 2. "Manasaa" Devan, Chinmayi 4:11 3. "Swaasye" Karthik 3:12 4. "Ee Hridayam" (english lyrics by Blaaze) Vijay Prakash, Suzanne D'Mello, Blaaze 5:30 5. "Aakaasam" Naresh Iyer 3:52 6. "Vintunnavaa" Karthik, Shreya Ghoshal 6:56 7. "Aaromale" (lyrics by Kaithapram) Alphonse 5:46Total length: 35:02
- ^ "An Average Fare". Screenindia.com. http://www.screenindia.com/news/an-average-fare/645827/. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- ^ "Top Ten Telugu Films of the year". Sify.com. http://www.sify.com/movies/Top-Ten-Telugu-Films-of-the-year-imagegallery-tollywood-kmvrrBcdbgb.html?html=5. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- ^ "Ye Maya Chesave film review - Telugu cinema Review - Naga Chaitanya & Samantha". Idlebrain.com. 2010-02-26. http://idlebrain.com/movie/archive/mr-yemayachesave.html. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- ^ "Gautham Menon's calculation upsets Simbu". ChennaiOnline.com. 2009. http://www.chennaionline.com/film/news/july09/72gautham-menons-calculation-upsets-simbu.aspx. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- ^ Chen, Cerena (2009). "Indian film crew shoots scenes on campus". The Daily Princetonian. http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/2009/11/09/24349/. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- ^ "Nandi Awards Winners List -2010". Telugu.way2movies.com. http://telugu.way2movies.com/newssingle_telugu.html?id=143058&cat=4&tit=Nandi-Awards-Winner-List--2010. Retrieved 2011-09-26.
- Watch Ye Maaya Chesave Photos at music vilas
- "Ye Maaya Chesaave - An apt title!" - Movie Review
- "it's a classic!" - Review
- "Ye Maya Chesave on Rotten Tomatoes
Gautham MenonMinnale (2001) • Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein (2001) • Kaakha Kaakha (2003) • Gharshana (2004) • Vettaiyadu Villaiyadu (2006) • Pachaikili Muthucharam (2007) • Vaaranam Aayiram (2008) • Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa (2010) • Ye Maaya Chesave (2010) • Nadunissi Naaygal (2011) • Ek Deewana Tha (2011) • Neethaane En Ponvasantham (2012) • Nithya (2012)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Naga Chaitanya — Akkineni Naga Chaitanya Born Akkineni Naga Chaitanya November 23, 1986 (1986 11 23) (age 24) Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India Other names Chaitanya, Chaitu, Chay, Jr. Nag, NC Occupation … Wikipedia
CineMAA Awards — Awarded for Best in film Presented by Maa TV Country India First awarded 2003 The CineMAA Awards are the Telugu Cinema Awards Ceremony of Maa T … Wikipedia
Gautham Menon — Gautham Vasudev Menon Gautham speaking at a college in Trichy Born February 25, 1973 (1973 02 25) (age 38) Ottapalam, Kerala, In … Wikipedia
Chinmayi — in 2009. Background information Birth name Chinmayi Sripada Also known as Chinmayee, Chi … Wikipedia
Manoj Paramahamsa — Born April 15, 1981(1981 04 15) Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India Occupation Cinematographer Website … Wikipedia
Manjula Ghattamaneni — Manjula Swaroop Born Manjula Ghattamaneni 1970  Madras, Tamil Nadu, India Residence Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India Other names … Wikipedia
Minnale — Directed by Gautham Menon Produced by Murali Manohar Wri … Wikipedia
Vaaranam Aayiram — Directed by Gautham Menon Produced by Venu Ravichandran … Wikipedia
Nandi Award for Best Screenplay Writer — The Nandi Award for Best Screenplay Writer winners: Year Writer Film 2010 Gautham Menon Ye Maaya Chesave 2009 Vikram Sirikonda Deepak Raj Konchem Ishtam Konchem Kashtam … Wikipedia
Nandi Award for Best Female Dubbing Artist — The Nandi Award for Best Female Dubbing Artist winners: Year Artist Film 2010 Chinmayi Ye Maaya Chesave 2009 Soumya Mahatma 2008 … Wikipedia