- Maturango Museum
The front of the Maturango Museum
Established 1975 Location 100 E. Las Flores Ave. Ridgecrest, CA Type Cultural history, natural history and geology Director Harris Brokke Website http://www.maturango.org/
Maturango Museum is located in Ridgecrest, California, USA. The Museum is best known for the guided tours of the Coso Rock Art District located on China Lake Naval Weapons Station. The Museum offers exhibits and displays featuring both the natural and the cultural history and diversity of the Northern Mojave Desert with exhibits of animals, plants, rocks and minerals, Native American artifacts, and contemporary arts and crafts.
- Creosote Scrub Habitat
- Wildflowers & Desert Animals
- Foothills and Petroglyphs
- Pleistocene Lakes Map
- Native Californians
- Historical Society of the upper mojave exhibit
- Naval air weapons station, China Lake
- Mineral Display Case - local minerals, fossils.
- Ecology Islands
- History Exhibit
- Searles Lake
- Birds in the Desert
- Joshua Tree Habitat
- Annual Dinner
- Wildflower Show
- Sylvia Winslow Exhibit Gallery Show
- Ridgecrest Desert Wildflower Festival
Location / Description
Ridgecrest was incorporated as a city in 1963. Formerly known as Crumville, it is located in the Indian Wells Valley in northeastern Kern County, California adjacent to the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake. Ridgecrest is the only incorporated city along US 395 in Kern County. The population was 24,927 at the 2000 census and increased to 27,616 at the 2010 census.
Ridgecrest is surrounded by four mountain ranges; the Sierra Nevada on the west, the Cosos on the north, the Argus Range on the east, and the El Paso Mountains on the south. It is approximately 80 miles from the Lancaster/Palmdale area and approximately 115 miles (185 km) from both Bakersfield and San Bernardino, the three nearest major urban centers.
- List of museums in California
- Arboreta in California
- Aquaria in California
- Botanical gardens in California
- Historic landmarks in California
- Forts in California
- Museums list
- Nature Centers in California
- Observatories in California
- Registered Historic Places in California
- Museums in the USA: California
- Southern California Museums & Historical Sites
- California Association of Museums
- California Historical Societies and Museums
- LA Tourist: Museums
- House Museums, Open Air Museums and Ship Museums in Southern California
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Maturango Museum Home Page
- Maturango Museum (DesertUSA)
- Historical Society of the Upper Mojave Desert
- Ridgecrest Desert Wildflower Festival
- MAP for Maturango Museum
- ^ "Maturango Museum Home Page". http://www.maturango.org/. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "The Maturango Museum". data from Desert USA. http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/mar/poi/feb_matmuseum.html. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Permanent Exhibits in the Museum's North Gallery". Maturango Museum. http://www.maturango.org/#Exhibits. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Annual Events". Maturango Museum. http://www.maturango.org/#Annual. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maturango Peak — Elevation 8,839 ft (2,694 m) Location Location … Wikipedia
Maturango — may refer to: Maturango Museum in Ridgecrest, California Maturango Peak in the Argus Range This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an … Wikipedia
Ridgecrest, California — City of Ridgecrest City View of Ridgecrest … Wikipedia
Monika Steiner — Infinity Blue, Bronze, 2007 Born 1972 (1972) Bern, Switzerland … Wikipedia
Coso Rock Art District — Further information: Big and Little Petroglyph Canyons and Coso People Coso Rock Art District U.S. National Register of Historic Places … Wikipedia
Coso people — The Coso people are an indigenous people of the Americas and Native American tribe associated with the Coso Range in the Mojave Desert of California in the southwestern U.S.. They are of the Uto Aztecan language and spoke one of several Numic… … Wikipedia
Mojave Desert — For the indigenous American tribe, see Mohave people. For other uses, see Mohave (disambiguation). Coordinates: 35°0.5′N 115°28.5′W / 35.0083°N 115.475°W … Wikipedia
Oxidizable carbon ratio dating — is a method of dating in archaeology and earth science that can be used to derive or estimate the age of soil and sediment samples up to 35,000 years old. The method is considered by some to be experimental, and it is not as widely used in… … Wikipedia
Coso Range — Coordinates: 36°8′29.796″N 117°41′23.252″W / 36.14161°N 117.68979222°W / 36.14161; 117.68979222 … Wikipedia
List of natural history museums — Contents 1 Africa 1.1 Botswana 1.2 Canary Islands 1.3 Egypt … Wikipedia