- College of Military Engineering, Pune
College of Military Engineering, Pune Established 1943 Academic affiliation Indian Army Corps of Engineers Students 550 Location Dapodi, Pune 
Former names School of Military Engineering (SME) Affiliations Institution of Engineers
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
College of Military Engineering (CME) is a premier technical and tactical training institution of the Indian Army Corps of Engineers of the Indian Army, this includes Combat Engineers, Military Engineering Service, Border Roads Organisation and Survey.
The college it is situated at Dapodi on NH 4, adjacent to the Khadki cantonment, a large army base in Pune district, north of the Pune city. Established in 1943, as the 'School of Military Engineering' (SME) at Roorkee, apart from imparting training to Indian army officers and those from friendly countries, the college also plays an advisory role to the Indian Army, and is involved in research projects and experimentation.
Prior its establishment, the officers of Corps of Engineers were trained at the Royal School of Military Engineering, United Kingdom along with the Royal Corps of Engineers. Between 1934 to 1943 they received training at Thompson College of Engineering, Roorkee, now IIT Roorkee.
During the World War II, the dedicated school to impart combat engineering training to officers was set up at Roorkee, the School of Military Engineering (SME) in 1943, though it continued to depend on Thomason College for technical training, subsequently post-independence in 1948, SME moved to Dapodi in Pune, its present location. In November 1951, the SME was upgraded to the status of a college, with it degree engineering courses recognised by the Institution of Engineers.
Work on permanent construction began in 1948 and most of the accommodation was completed by 1958. The second phase of expansion took place after 1963 necessitated by the expansion of the Indian Army.
Faculties and wings
- Faculty of Combat Engineering
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma wing (Courses for subordinates)
CME offers training for personnel, both Officers and Personnel Below Officers Rank (PBOR) of the Corps of Engineers, other arms & services, Navy, Air Force, Para-Military forces, Police and also civilians. Its students also include soldiers from friendly foreign countries like the Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. The college is affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) for its B.Tech and M.Tech degrees. And its the graduate and post graduate courses are recognized by The 'All India Council for Technical Education' (AICTE) and University of Pune.
- Courses for Engineering Officers for 3 years duration;
- For Corps of EME Officers first 3 semesters of B.Tech degree for 1½ years;
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- For Corps of Signal Officers first 3 semesters of B.Tech degree for 1½ years;
- B.Tech in Communication Engineering
- Two years Diploma courses for subordinate staff in Electrical, Civil and Draughtsman category.
2 months adp (f)
Today, the campus situated on the banks of Mula river, is spread over 3,600 acres (15 km2) and with a population of 11,000, and evolved into a small township. Access is available only to military personnel and civilians working or living inside CME. A gate pass (identification) is required to enter the CME premises.
Notable places in CME
- The CME lake - A lakeside, also includes a restricted fishing area
- Sarvatra Bir- A bird sanctuary by the CME lake
- Harkirat Singh Theatre - An open air theatre which screens Hollywood and Bollywood movies
- CME shopping complex - A shopping complex for CME residents
- CME Information Technology Wing- IT learning and development center,
- IT courses held for Army Engineering Groups.Latest software are being developed here.
- Saravatra Hall - A concert hall where important events are staged, including school events
- Officers Institute- An institute for all to Officers.
- HQ Mess Corps of Engineers
- Corps Equipment Museum
- Corps of Engineers Archives.
Schools in CME
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (KV CME)- CBSE education school
- Holloway School - Raised where the former KV was, a school offering Maharashtra State Board education.
- Regimental School - Another school offering Maharashtra State Board education.
- ^ "HQ CME". wikimapia. http://wikimapia.org/321602/HQ-C-M-E.
- ^ a b c "CME marks 50 eventful years". The Indian Express. September 15, 1998. http://www.indianexpress.com/ie/daily/19980915/25851594.html.
- ^ Kulkarni, Prasad (3 May 2009). "CME conducts grand passing out parade". The Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pune/CME-conducts-grand-passing-out-parade/articleshow/4477064.cms.
- ^ "Foreign officers from National Defence College visit CME". The Indian Express. Jul 18, 2009. http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/foreign-officers-from-national-defence-college-visit-cme/490885/.
- ^ "Faculties and Wings". Indian Army. http://indianarmy.nic.in/Site/FormTemplete/frmTemp4P4C.aspx?MnId=H4syKZgib2c=&ParentID=W3RKA44qDtw=.
- ^ "Pune Notes: Graduation ceremony". The Indian Express. October 24, 1998. http://www.indianexpress.com/res/web/pIe/ie/daily/19981024/29752054.html.
- ^ "CME awards diplomas". The Indian Express. Apr 25, 2009. http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/cme-awards-diplomas/451056/.
- ^ "RECOGNISED INSTITUTIONS (RI): PUNE DISTRICT (PN)". University of Pune. http://www.unipune.ernet.in/doc/pncolg.html.
- Free Dictionary (2008-02-11). "CME, Pune". http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/College+of+Military+Engineering+(Pune,+India). Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- College of Military Engineering, Pune webpage at Indian Army website
- College of Military Engineering, Pune at Bharat Rakshak
Pune city Suburbs Pimpri-Chinchwad AreasPimpri and surroundingsChinchwad and SurroundingsChinchwad · Thergaon · Tathawade · Talawade · Sahu NagarSangvi and surroundingsBhosari and surroundingsNigdi - Akurdi and surroundings CivicPimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation · Pune Metropolitan Area TransportAirRailLocal Trains · Chinchwad Railway Station · Pimpri Railway StationRoadPimpri-Chinchwad Bus Stand · Maharashtra State Road Transport CorporationInternal GeographyHills and MountainsWater BodiesPavana River Neighboring Villages Military SportsPCMC Hockey Stadium
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
College of Military Engineering, Pune, India — College of Military Engineering (abbr CME) is an army base in Pune. Like most military areas, CME is a neat, very well maintained green and smoke free environment. Access is available only to military personnel and civilians working or living… … Wikipedia
Military academies in India — The Indian military services have established numerous and distinguished academies and staff colleges across India for the purpose of training professional soldiers in new generation military sciences, warfare command and strategy, and associated … Wikipedia
College rivalry — Pairs of schools, colleges and universities, especially when they are close to each other either geographically or in their areas of specialization, often establish a college rivalry with each other over the years. This rivalry can extend to both … Wikipedia
Education in Pune — Pune was called The Oxford of the east by Jawaharlal Nehru, India s first Prime Minister. Pune attracts students from all over the world. Basic education Schools in Pune are either run by the PMC, in which case they are called public schools, or… … Wikipedia
List of engineering colleges in Pune — Pune has many engineering colleges. Some of the notable colleges in Pune include * D.Y.Patil College of Engineering [http://www.dypce ak.com] * Army Institute of Technology (AIT) * AISSMS College of Engineering * Bharti Vidyapeeth College Of… … Wikipedia
Roads of Pune — Pune is located in the West of India, in the state of Maharashtra and is roughly 160 km east of Mumbai. The city lies approximately 3 miles along a river. The heart of the city is much older than the rest of the city. It has winding roads, many… … Wikipedia
Army Institute of Technology, Pune — Army Institute of Technology (AIT) is a prestigious undergraduate engineering college located at Dighi Hills in Pune, Maharashtra, India and affiliated to the University of Pune. It was established for the wards of Indian Army personnel (serving… … Wikipedia
New Pune International Airport — For other uses, see Pune Airport (disambiguation). Pune International Airport नविन पुणे आंतरराष्ट्रीय विमानतळ, चाकण Chakan Airport IATA: none – ICAO … Wikipedia
Neighborhoods of Pune — Until the mid 1970s, the city of Pune mainly consisted of Central and Inner Pune City. Since then, Pune has seen rapid and continued growth in terms of population and area, and many erstwhile villages surrounding the city, such as Baner and Warje … Wikipedia
List of universities with industrial engineering faculty — Canadian Universities= * Concordia University, Quebec, Canada * Dalhousie University, Canada * Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal, Quebec, Canada * Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston, Ontario * Ryerson University, Ontario, Canada *… … Wikipedia