- Education in Pune
Pune was called "The Oxford of the east" by
Jawaharlal Nehru, India's first Prime Minister. Pune attracts students from all over the world.
Schools in Pune are either run by the PMC, in which case they are called public schools, or privately by trusts and individuals. Private schools have been preferred by a majority of city residents because of better facilities, and in some cases, for the use of
English languageas the medium of instruction. A number of Marathimedium schools are more than a century old, notable among them include Huzurpaga girls' school and New English School, which was started by Bal Gangadhar Tilak. All schools are affiliated either with the Maharashtra state SSC board or the all-India Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) and CBSEboards.
All professional colleges in Pune are affiliated to the
University of Pune, one of the largest universities in the world in terms of matriculation. Prominent ones include:
* Ness Wadia College Of Commerce
* Nowrosjee Wadia College of Arts and Science
* Deccan College (one of the oldest in western India)
Spicer Memorial CollegeEstablished in 1942
College of Engineering, Pune(second oldest in the Subcontinent)
* Bharati Vidhyapeeth - Deemed University [http://www.bharatividyapeeth.edu]
Vishwakarma Institute of Technology, one of the most well known Engineering college in Pune
* DINA Institute - Business Management, Hotel Management, Information Technology, Travel & Tourism. [http://www.dinainstitute.com]
* [http://www.indsearch.org IndSearch] - Indian Institute of Research and Management - established in 1973 and Leading Center for Professional Management and Computer Studies
Pune Vidhyarthi Griha's College of Engineering and Technology, [http://www.pvgcoet.ac.in/ PVG COET] , one of the best known Engineering college in Pune
International Institute Of Information Technology,Pune, one of the premier Post Graduation and Research Institutes in India.
Pune Institute of Computer Technology, one of the most prominent colleges in Pune.
All India Shri Shivaji Memorial Society's College of Engineering(AISSMS), Pune, [http://www.aicoep.org/] One of the well known engineering college in Pune
Maharashtra Institute of Technology, [http://www.mitpune.com/ www.mitpune.com] , well known Engineering college in Pune
Indian Institute of Science, Education and Reasearch, [http://www.iiserpune.ac.in/ IISER PUNE] , a NEW autonomous institute for science and research
D.Y. Patil College of Engineering, [http://www.pddypiet.org/aboutus.html] , One of the famous engineering college in Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad areas.
* Sir Parshurambhau College, established 1916.
Abasaheb Garware College, completed 60 years and one of the foremost colleges in Pune city.
Fergusson College, established 1885 (amongst ten most reputed in India)
* Agricultural College (one of the earliest in the country)
Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics(one of the oldest, and also one of the most reputed institute for research and higher studies in Economicsin India)
* Symbiosis Institutes
* Sinhgad Technical Education SocietyPune is also home to the [http://www.iucaa.ernet.in/ Inter University centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA)] , which is a leading institute for research in astronomy and astrophysics in India.
PUMBA, (acronym for the Pune University, Masters in Business Administration Program), the in-house university management department is one of the top B-Schools in India Fact|date=February 2007.
The medical, dental and nursing colleges in Pune are affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (Nashik). Pune houses medical colleges that make it to the top ten in the country AFMC (Armed Forces Medical College) and BJMC (Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Medical College).
SNDT Women's University, exclusive for women, is another university located at Pune. In addition to the statutory universities, Pune boasts of 5 Deemed Universities that specialise in specific areas of research and training. They are:
* Deccan College (Archaeology)
* Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth (Sanskrit, Indology, Ayurveda and Social Sciences)
Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics
* Bharati Vidyapeeth
Symbiosis(Management and law) one of the top management and law colleges in the country.
[http://www.imdr.edu/ The Institute of Management Development and Research (IMDR)] is a premier management institute based in Pune. Engineering colleges in Pune graduate up to 10,000 engineers in various disciplines every year. This includes around 2500 software and I.T. professionals, which add to the growing IT/ITES/BPO sectors.
Pune is the largest center for Japanese language learning in India. Pune has the country's largest number of
Japanese Language Proficiency Testexaminees; it is also the major location for training and recruitment of Japanese language teachers. Japanese language training has been provided by the University of Pune since 1978; since then, other private institutions and individuals have also jumped into the field.cite news|title=When it comes to Japanese, Pune steals a march over metros|work=Indian Express|date= 2007-07-07|accessdate=2008-01-11|last=Mane|first=Anuradha|url=http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=191801] [cite news|work=The Times of India|title=Sayonara USA, Hello Japan|date= 2004-02-18|accessdate=2008-01-11|url=http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/503700.cms] Other languages such as German (Max Muller Bhavan) and French (Alliance Francaise de Pune) are also popular amongst Punities.
Education institutes dedicated to the defence forces
Pune is host to several excellent educational institutes specifically dedicated to Defence forces. They are:
* National Defence Academy — NDA, is located at
Khadakwasla, on the outskirts of Pune. It is a joint services institution for training young cadets as future officers of the Defence Services. The motto of the Academy is 'Sewa Paramo Dharma (Service Before Self)'. [http://nda.nic.in/ Official Website] .
* [http://www.drdo.org/labs/hrd/iat/index.shtml Institute of Armament Technology (IAT)] [Recently renamed as Defence Institute of Armament Technology (DIAT)] was established in 1952 and moved to its current campus of Girinagar in
1967. It was made as a deemed University since 2000. Primary aim of this institute is to provide Higher Education in Science and Technology related to defence requirements in general and weapon systems in particular.
* [http://armedforces.nic.in/interservice/isafmc.htm Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)] was set up in 1948 in the immediate post-world war period. AFMC is responsible for training of medical undergraduates and post-graduates, dental postgraduates, nursing cadets and paramedical staff. Patient care forms an integral part of its training curriculum and the attached hospitals benefits from the expertise available at AFMC. The institution is responsible for providing the entire pool of specialists and super specialists to Armed Forces by giving them in service training.
* College of Military Engineering (CME) located at Dapodi. The erstwhile School of Military Engineering (SME) established in September 1943 at
Roorkeemoved to its present location at Pune in 1948. It is a premier technical and tactical training institution of the Corps of Engineers encompassing the four pillars viz. Combat Engineers, Military Engineering Service, Border Roads Organisation and Survey.
* [http://www.aitpune.com/ Army Institute of Technology (AIT)] located at Dighi was established in Aug 1994. It was started with aim to provide Engineering education to the wards of Indian Army personnel.
* Army Institute of Physical Training (AIPT) formerly called the Army School of Physical Training (ASPT), located at
Hadapsarwas established in 1947. It is the cradle of physical and recreational training in the Army. It has training infrastructure to impart systematic and comprehensive instructions on physical training. Selected candidates from all ranks of the Army, students from the police, para-military forces and friendly foreign countries attend various courses on physical training and allied subjects at ASPT.
* [http://www.puneprime.com/Education/Default.htm Education in Pune]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Symbiosis International Education Centre, Pune — Symbiosis International Educational Centre (Deemed University), now known as Symbiosis International University, is a part of the Symbiosis Society of educational institutes in Pune, India.It comprises, among other institutes, Symbiosis Institute … Wikipedia
Pune District — is situated in Maharashtra state of India. Pune city is the district headquarters. In the last census (2001), total population of the district is 7,232,555. Urban population comprises 58.08% of the total population… … Wikipedia
Pune — Mumbai Ahmedabad High Speed Passenger Corridor … Wikipedia
Pune Vidhyarthi Griha's College of Engineering and Technology — Pune Vidyarthi Griha s College of Engineering and Technology (PVG COET) is an engineering college affiliated to the University of Pune, India. It was established in 1985. The college is run by the Pune Vidyarthi Griha Trust. The college is… … Wikipedia
College of Military Engineering, Pune — Established 1943 Academic affiliation Indian Army Corps of Engineers Students 550 Location Dapodi, Pune  … Wikipedia
Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education — Logo of MSBSHSE Formation January 1, 1966 (1966 01 01) (45 years ago) Type State Governmental Board … Wikipedia
Culture of Pune — Pune is considered by many to be Maharashtra s cultural capital and the form of Marathi spoken in Pune is considered to be the standard form of the language. The culture of Pune encompasses both the traditional Maharashtrian lifestyle that is… … Wikipedia
List of engineering colleges in Pune — Pune has many engineering colleges. Some of the notable colleges in Pune include * D.Y.Patil College of Engineering [http://www.dypce ak.com] * Army Institute of Technology (AIT) * AISSMS College of Engineering * Bharti Vidyapeeth College Of… … Wikipedia
College of Engineering, Pune — Motto Strength Truth Endurance Established 1854 Type Public Co ed … Wikipedia
List of colleges and universities in Pune — The city of Pune in western India is known for its educational facilities, having more than a hundred educational institutes and nine universitiescite paper|first = Sanat|last=Kaul|title = Higher Education in India: Seizing the Opportunity… … Wikipedia