- Global biodiversity
The biodiversity of planet Earth is the total variability of life forms forms. Currently about 1.9 million species are known, but this is thought to be a significant underestimate of the total number of species.
Biodiversity has grown and shrunk in earth's past due to changes abiotic factors such as mass extinction, change in oxygen levels and sea levels. Climate change 300 million years ago was one such event. A cooling and drying resulted in catastrophic rainforest collapse and subsequently a great loss of diversity, especially of amphibians.
Current threats to global biodiversity include natural extinction, an event that occurs to species yearly, as well as human actions such as pollution. Invasion of non-native species can also have a negative affect on global biodiversity.
Biodiversity is usually plotted as the richness of a geographic area, with some reference to a temporal scale. Types of biodiversity include:
- taxonomic diversity
- species diversity
- ecological diversity
- morphological diversity
- genetic diversity
Taxonomic diversity, that is the number of species, genera, family is the most commonly assessed diversity type. A few studies have attempted to quantitatively clarify the relationship between different types of diversity. For example, Sarda Sahney a researcher at the University of Bristol has found a close link between vertebrate taxonomic and ecological diversity.
The numbers of identified modern species as of 2010 can be broken down as follows:
- 3,067 brown algae
- 321,212 plants, including:
- 74,000-120,000 fungi;
- 17,000 lichens;
- 1,367,555 animals, including:
Estimates of total number of species
However the total number of species for some taxa may be much higher.
One early estimate by Terry Erwin put global species richness at 30 million, following extrapolations from the numbers of beetles found in a species of tropical tree. In one species of tree, Erwin identified 1200 species of beetle, of which he estimated 163 were found only in that tree. Based on the 50,000 species of tropical tree, this would suggest that there are almost 10 million species of beetle in the tropics.
It is interesting to mention that according to the school of Indian philosophy known as(Vedanta) there are 8.4 million types of living beings on earth. This statement was made more than 1000 years ago.
2010 Biodiversity Indicators Partnership
- ^ Sahney, S., Benton, M.J. & Falcon-Lang, H.J. (2010). "Rainforest collapse triggered Pennsylvanian tetrapod diversification in Euramerica" (PDF). Geology 38 (12): 1079–1082. doi:10.1130/G31182.1. http://geology.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/38/12/1079.
- ^ Sahney, S. and Benton, M.J. (2008). "Recovery from the most profound mass extinction of all time" (PDF). Proceedings of the Royal Society: Biological 275 (1636): 759–65. doi:10.1098/rspb.2007.1370. PMC 2596898. PMID 18198148. http://journals.royalsociety.org/content/qq5un1810k7605h5/fulltext.pdf.
- ^ Sahney, S., Benton, M.J. and Ferry, P.A. (2010). "Links between global taxonomic diversity, ecological diversity and the expansion of vertebrates on land" (PDF). Biology Letters 6 (4): 544–547. doi:10.1098/rsbl.2009.1024. PMC 2936204. PMID 20106856. http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/6/4/544.full.pdf+html.
- ^ Current Results– Number of Species on Earth
- ^ a b David L. Hawksworth, "The magnitude of fungal diversity: the 1•5 million species estimate revisited" Mycological Research (2001), 105: 1422-1432 Cambridge University Press 
- ^ Encyclopedia Smithsonian: Numbers of Insects
- ^ Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Census of Marine Life (CoML) 
- ^ Acari at University of Michigan Museum of Zoology Web Page
- ^ Paramhans Swami Maheshwarananda , The hidden power in humans, Ibera Verlag, page 17., ISBN 3-85052-197-4
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Global Biodiversity Information Facility — (GBIF) ist ein internationales Netzwerk mit der Aufgabe, Informationen zur Biodiversität aus zahlreichen Datenbanken in einem zentralen Portal zusammenzufassen. Das Ziel ist, die Informationen über alle Arten der Erde frei zugänglich zu machen.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Global Biodiversity Information Facility — The Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) is an international organisation that focuses on making scientific data on biodiversity available via the Internet using web services. The data are provided by many institutions from around the… … Wikipedia
Global Biodiversity Information Facility — Le GBIF pour Global Biodiversity Information Facility (Système Mondial d Informations sur la Biodiversité en Français) est un projet scientifique international, fondé par l OCDE en 2001, et qui a pour but de mettre à disposition toute l… … Wikipédia en Français
Global Biodiversity Information Facility — La Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) es una organización internacional que trata que los datos científicos sobre biodiversidad estén disponibles en Internet usando servicios web. Los datos son proporcionados por muchas instituciones … Wikipedia Español
Biodiversity — Some of the biodiversity of a coral reef … Wikipedia
Global 200 — The Global 200 is the list of ecoregions identified by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) as priorities for conservation. According to the WWF, an ecoregion is defined as a relatively large unit of land or water containing a characteristic set of… … Wikipedia
Global Earth Observation System of Systems — GEOSS redirects here. GEOSS may also refer to the Geometric Centre of the Republic of Slovenia. The Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS) is being built by the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) on the basis of a 10 Year… … Wikipedia
Biodiversity and evolution — Biodiversity found on Earth today is the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Due to many mass extinctions and the havoc wreaked upon the environment by humans, the biodiversity on Earth has been declining since humans have come into existence … Wikipedia
Biodiversity Heritage Library — est un projet de numérisation de la littérature scientifique sur la biodiversité. Ce projet, qui a débuté vers 2005, était initialement limité à dix bibliothèques américaines et britanniques ; deux autres bibliothèques américaines s y sont… … Wikipédia en Français
Global warming controversy — refers to a variety of disputes, significantly more pronounced in the popular media than in the scientific literature, regarding the nature, causes, and consequences of global warming. The disputed issues involve the causes of increased… … Wikipedia