- Nora Stanton Blatch Barney
She was born Nora Stanton Blatch in Basingstoke, Hampshire, England in 1883 to William Blatch and Harriot Eaton Stanton, daughter of Elizabeth Cady Stanton. She studied Latin and mathematics at the Horace Mann School in New York, beginning in 1897, returning to England in the summers. The family moved to the United States in 1902. Nora attended Cornell University, graduating in 1905 as the first woman to earn a degree in civil engineering. In the same year, she was accepted as a junior member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and began work for the New York City Board of Water Supply. Following the examples set by her mother and grandmother, Nora also became active in the growing women's suffrage movement.
Marriage to Lee De Forest
In 1908, she married the inventor Lee De Forest, and helped to manage some of the companies he had founded to promote his invention and the new technology of wireless (radio). The couple spent their honeymoon in Europe marketing radio equipment developed by De Forest. However, the couple separated only a year later, due largely to De Forest's insistence that Nora quit her profession and become a conventional housewife. Shortly afterward, in June 1909, Nora gave birth to their daughter, Harriot Stanton De Forest. Also in 1909, Nora began working as an engineer for the Radley Steel Construction Company. She divorced Lee De Forest in 1911. After her divorce, she continued her engineering career, working for the New York Public Service Commission as an assistant engineer, and later for the Public Works Administration in Connecticut and Rhode Island as an architect, engineering inspector and structural-steel designer.
In 1919, Nora married Morgan Barney, a marine architect. Their daughter, Rhoda Barney Jenkins, born July 12, 1920, in New York, was an architect and social activist. Nora continued to work for equal rights for women and world peace, and in 1944 authored World Peace Through a People's Parliament.
- ^ Danuta Bois. "Nora Stanton Blatch Barney". Distinguished Women of Past and Present. http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/bio.php?womanid=1014. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- ^ "Nora Stanton Blatch". IEEE Global History Network. http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Nora_Stanton_Blatch. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- ^ "Harriet De Forest Engaged To Marry. Daughter Of Mrs. Morgan Barney Is Betrothed To Marshall C. Allaben Jr. Her Father Is Inventor. She Is An Artist And Has Exhibited Here And In Paris. Fiance Member Of Yale Club". New York Times. October 22, 1932. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50B13F83A5516738DDDAB0A94D8415B828FF1D3. Retrieved 2010-07-21. "Mrs. Morgan Barney of Greenwich, Conn., has announced the engagement of her daughter, Miss Harriet Stanton de Forest, to Marshall C. Allaben Jr., son of Mrs. Clarke Allaben of this city and of Marshall C. Allaben of Round Hill, Greenwich. Miss de Forest is the daughter of Dr. Lee de Forest, inventor."
- ^ "Nora Stanton Blatch Barney". Distinguished Women of Past and Present. http://www.distinguishedwomen.com/bio.php?womanid=1014. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- "Nora Stanton Blatch Barney". Encyclopedia Britannica Online. http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9124919/Nora-Stanton-Blatch-Barney. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- "Nora Stanton Blatch". IEEE Global History Network. IEEE. http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Nora_Stanton_Blatch. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- Hijiya, James A. (1992). Lee de Forest and the Fatherhood of Radio. Lehigh University Press. pp. 78–87. ISBN 0934223238.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nora Stanton Blatch Barney — Nora Stanton Blatch Barney, 1921 Nora Stanton Blatch Barney (* 30. September 1883 in Basingstoke; † 18. Januar 1971 in Greenwich, Connecticut) war eine US amerikanische Bauingenieurin, Architektin und … Deutsch Wikipedia
Barney, Nora Stanton Blatch — ▪ American civil engineer and architect née Nora Stanton Blatch born Sept. 30, 1883, Basingstoke, Hampshire, Eng. died Jan. 18, 1971, Greenwich, Conn., U.S. American civil engineer, architect, and suffragist whose professional and… … Universalium
Barney — ist ein männlicher Vorname, siehe Barney (Vorname) Barney ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Alice Pike Barney (eigentlich Alice Pike; 1857–1931), US amerikanische Malerin Jay Barney, US amerikanischer Professor für Strategiemanagement Jean … Deutsch Wikipedia
Civil engineering — The Petronas Twin Towers, designed by architect Cesar Pelli and Thornton Tomasetti and Ranhill Bersekutu Sdn Bhd engineers, were the world s tallest buildings from 1998 to 2004. Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that… … Wikipedia
Lee De Forest — Infobox person name = Lee De Forest caption = birth date = birth date|1873|8|26|mf=y birth place = Council Bluffs, Iowa death date = death date and age|1961|6|30|1873|8|26|mf=y death place = Hollywood, Los Angeles, California occupation =… … Wikipedia
30. September — Der 30. September ist der 273. Tag des Gregorianischen Kalenders (der 274. in Schaltjahren), somit bleiben 92 Tage bis zum Jahresende. Historische Jahrestage August · September · Oktober 1 2 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lee De Forest — (* 26. August 1873 in Council Bluffs, Iowa; † 30. Juni 1961 in Hollywood, Kalifornien) war ein US amerikanischer Erfinder. Es wurden über 300 Patente auf seinen Namen ausgestellt. De Forest erfand die gasgefüllte … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of civil engineers — This list of civil engineers is a list of notable people who have been trained in or have practised civil engineering. Contents: Top · 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A … Wikipedia
18. Januar — Der 18. Januar (in Österreich und Südtirol: 18. Jänner) ist der 18. Tag des Gregorianischen Kalenders, somit bleiben 347 Tage (in Schaltjahren 348 Tage) bis zum Jahresende. Historische Jahrestage Dezember · Januar · Februar 1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
1883 — Portal Geschichte | Portal Biografien | Aktuelle Ereignisse | Jahreskalender ◄ | 18. Jahrhundert | 19. Jahrhundert | 20. Jahrhundert | ► ◄ | 1850er | 1860er | 1870er | 1880er | 1890er | 1900er | 1910er | ► ◄◄ | ◄ | 1879 | 1880 | 1881 | 18 … Deutsch Wikipedia