- Chatham, Chicago
Chatham — Community area — Community Area 44 - Chatham Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Illinois County Cook City Chicago Neighborhoods Area - Total 3 sq mi (7.69 km2) Population (2000) - Total 37,275 - Density 12,554.2/sq mi (4,847.2/km2) population up 1.35% from 1990 Demographics - White 0.32% - Black 98.0% - Hispanic 0.59% - Asian 0.06% - Other 1.00% Time zone CST (UTC-6) - Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) ZIP Codes 60619, parts of 60620 Area code(s) 773, 872 Median income $37,809 Source: U.S. Census, Record Information Services
Chatham, located on the south side, is one of the 77 official community areas of South Side of the city of Chicago, Illinois. It includes the neighborhoods of Chatham and West Chesterfield. Its residents are overwhelmingly middle and upper income African American and it is home to former Senator Roland Burris.
In the 1990 census Chatham was found to be 1.0% White, 98.7% Black, 0.5% Hispanic, 0.1% Asian and 0.3% other.
In the 2000 census Chatham was found to be 0.32% White, 98.0% Black, 0.59% Hispanic, 0.06% Asian and 1.00% other. The median income was $37,809.
Chatham has a stop on Metra's Metra Electric commuter rail line, which provides daily service between downtown Chicago at Millennium Station and the southern destinations of University Park and Blue Island. As well as many CTA Bus Stops and trains.
Schools in Chatham
The following schools serve students from the Chatham neighborhood. 
- Simeon Career Academy
- Jimmie Thompson High School
- Arthur R Ashe Elementary School
- Arthur Dixon Elementary School
- James E McDade Elementary Classical School
- Jane A Neil Elementary School
- John T Pirie Fine Arts & Academic Center ES
- Oliver S Westcott Elementary School
- Ted Lenart Regional Gifted Center
- ^ Encyclopedia of Chicago, "Chatham", Available online at http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/232.html, Cited September 29, 2009
- ^ U.S. Census, Record Information Services.
- ^ http://www.cps.edu/Schools/Find_a_school/Pages/Findaschool.aspx | Chicago Public Schools' Search
- Official City of Chicago Chatham Community Map
City of Chicago Chicago metropolitan area · State of Illinois · United States of America Category · Portal Community areas in Chicago Far North side North side Northwest side Central, Near North, and Near South side West and Near West side Southwest side South side Far Southwest side Far Southeast side Greater Grand Crossing, Chicago Avalon Park, Chicago Auburn Gresham, Chicago Chatham, Chicago Calumet Heights, Chicago Roseland, Chicago Burnside, Chicago
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.