- South East Forest National Park
South East Forest National ParkIUCN Category II (National Park) Coordinates Coordinates: Area 1151.77 km² Established January 1, 1997 Governing body NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
It was created in 1997 by the amalgamation of Genoa, Tantawangalo, Bemboka, Yowaka and Coolangubra National Parks, all of which had been gazetted in 1994. Genoa National Park in turn was the result of the amalgamation of Nalbaugh and Nungatta National Parks, which had been established in 1972 and 1973 respectively.
Until 1968, much of the inland southeastern corner of New South Wales was rugged forest terrain known as the Wallagaraugh Wilderness, and was vacant crown land. At the time, a scientific committee appointed by the New South Wales state government recommended the area of around 100,000 hectares be protected as a National Park, however the Japanese company Harris-Daishowa sought to log the area for woodchips, and most of the land was categorised as State Forest, with only Nalbaugh and Nungatta National Parks declared in what is now South East Forest National Park. Nearby, Mount Imlay and Ben Boyd National Park were gazetted. Logging began in October 1969, and continued for 25 years despite increasing opposition. The Unsworth Labor State government had proposed an 80,000 hectare park as a reelection promise in the 1988 state election, but was not reelected. Later, under the Fahey government, the Genoa, Tantawangalo, Bemboka Yowaka and Coolangubra national parks came into existence in 1994.
The region is known for its variety of eucalypt species, and wet sclerophyll (eucalypt) forests cover 42% of the park. Temperate rainforest is found in sheltered areas, and subalpine bogs at high elevations.
A great variety of animals are found within the park boundaries, including threatened species such as the Smoky Mouse (Pseudomys fumeus), and other species which are vulnerable in New South Wales such as the Olive Whistler (Pachycephala olivacea).
- ^ http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHome.aspx?id=N0111
- ^ a b "South East Forest National Park: Culture and History". Office of Environment & Heritage website. NSW Government. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHeritage.aspx?id=N0111. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- ^ a b c d Wright, p. 235.
- ^ Moore, Clover (3 September 1992). "SOUTH EAST FORESTS PROTECTION BILL". Parliament of New South Wales: Hansard and Papers. Sydney, New South Wales: State Government of New South Wales. http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LA19920903003. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- ^ a b "South East Forest National Park: Native vegetation". Office of Environment & Heritage website. NSW Government. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkVegetation.aspx?id=N0111. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- ^ "South East Forest National Park: Native animals". Office of Environment & Heritage website. NSW Government. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkWildlife.aspx?id=N0111. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- Wright, Peter (1996). National Parks of Southern NSW. Rosebery, NSW: Bridge Printery. ISBN 0-958759-01-4.
- Protected areas of New South Wales (Australia)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
South East Forest National Park — noun a national park in south eastern NSW, created in 1997 from the former Genoa, Tantawangalo, Bemboka Yowaka and Coolangubra national parks; old growth forests and granite boulders. 115 950 ha … Australian English dictionary
South-East-Forest-Nationalpark — South East Forest Nationalpark … Deutsch Wikipedia
Gir Forest National Park — Infobox protected area | name = Gir Forest National Park iucn category = II caption = Location Map locator x = locator y = location = Junagadh District, Gujarat, India nearest city = Junagadh lat degrees = lat minutes = lat seconds = lat… … Wikipedia
Petrified Forest National Park — a national park in E Arizona: buried tree trunks turned to stone by the action of mineral laden water. 147 sq. mi. (381 sq. km). * * * National park, eastern Arizona, U.S. Established as a national monument in 1906 and as a national park in 1962 … Universalium
National Park Service — Arrowhead Agency overview Formed August 25, 1916 Jurisdiction … Wikipedia
National Park Service rustic — National Park Service rustic, also colloquially known as Parkitecture, is a style of architecture that arose in the United States National Park System to create buildings that harmonized with their natural environment. Since its founding, the… … Wikipedia
National Park Service Rustic — National Park Service Rustic, also colloquially known as Parkitecture, is a style of architecture that arose in the United States National Park System to create buildings that harmonized with their natural environment. Since its founding, the… … Wikipedia
South East England Regional Assembly — (SEERA) is the regional assembly for the South East England region of the United Kingdom [ [http://www.southeast ra.gov.uk/ South East England Regional Assembly ] ] . Regional Assemblies are described in the Regional Development Agencies Act 1998 … Wikipedia
South Downs National Park — The South Downs National Park is a proposed National Park in the South Downs region of England.ExtentThe extent of the proposed National park stretches for 90 miles, from St Catherine s Hill near Winchester in Hampshire in the west to Beachy Head … Wikipedia
South East Dorset conurbation — The South east Dorset conurbation (also known as the South Dorset conurbation [e.g. Audit Commission, [http://www.audit commission.gov.uk/reports/accessible.asp?ProdID=D4AE26B4 CE5F 44B1 927F 89260139087B] ] , Poole Bournemouth urban area [e.g.… … Wikipedia