- Dolný Kubín
Dolný Kubín Town Country Slovakia Region Žilina District Dolný Kubín River Orava Elevation 468 m (1,535 ft) Coordinates Area 55.055 km2 (21.257 sq mi) Population 19,775 (31 December 2006) Density 359 / km2 (930 / sq mi) First mentioned 1325 Mayor Roman Matejov Timezone CET (UTC+1) - summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2) Postal code 026 01 Area code +421-43 Car plate DK Wikimedia Commons: Dolný Kubín Statistics: MOŠ/MIS Website: www.dolnykubin.sk
Dolný Kubín lies at an altitude of 468 metres (1,535 ft) above sea level and covers an area of 55.055 square kilometres (21.3 sq mi). It is located in northern Slovakia on the Orava River, between the Lesser Fatra, Oravská Magura and Chočské vrchy mountains. It is located around 15 km (9.32 mi) from Ružomberok, 45 km (27.96 mi) from the Polish border and 270 km (167.77 mi) from Bratislava. The town is composed of 10 boroughs: Banisko, Beňova Lehota, Brezovec, Kňažia, Malý Bysterec, Medzihradné, Mokraď, Staré mesto, Veľký Bysterec and Záskalie.
The first written reference of the town of Dolný Kubín dates from 1314. It was founded in the 14th century and initially belonged to the Orava Domain. It was granted town privileges (town status, town charter) in 1632, and its importance was further strengthened in 1633 when the town was granted the right to hold markets. In 1683 the town became the seat of the Orava county and in 1776 also the seat of a processus district.
In the 19th century Dolný Kubín was a centre of Slovak national life and the poet Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav and other Slovak national revivalists were active in the town.
The town experienced major developments mainly after World War II, when electrical works as well as other enterprises were established.
Landmarks and culture
The Gothic St. Catherine church was built in the 14th century. The Čaplovič Library, containing collection of newspapers, books, maps and other printed works from 15th to the 19th century, along with the P. O. Hviezdoslav Museum, is located in the town. The Orava Gallery focuses on the art works from the 15th century to the 20th century and is seated in the former County House from the 17th century. The Slovak poetical and prose competition, called Hviezdoslavov Kubín (Hviezdoslav's Kubín), takes place in the town since 1954. The Orava Castle is located few kilometres north-east of the town.
According to the 2001 census, the town had 19,948 inhabitants. 97.03% of inhabitants were Slovaks, 1.07% Czechs and 0.28% Roma. The religious make-up was 65.11% Roman Catholics, 16.62% Lutherans and 14.55% people with no religious affiliation.
- BK Dolný Kubín played the best basketball competition in Slovakia 2006/07-2008/09. To season 2009/10 season the club came because of the collapse.
- MFK Dolný Kubín promoted to the I. Liga in the second league season 2008/09. In second league captured first place and collected only 16 goals.
- MHK Dolný Kubín plays First League in Slovakia and it is holding MHC Martin
- Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav (1849–1921), Slovak poet, born in nearby Vyšný Kubín, but lived and died in Dolný Kubín.
- Ladislav Nádaši-Jégé (1866–1940), Slovak author, born, lived and died in Dolný Kubín.
- Janko Matúška (1821–1877), author of Slovakia's national anthem, was born, became clerk of the district court, and died in Dolný Kubín.
- Juraj Laštík (b. 1987), Slovakian ski mountaineer
- Ján Johanides (1934–2008), Slovak writer
- ^ a b c "Municipal Statistics". Statistical Office of the Slovak republic. Archived from the original on 2007-11-16. http://web.archive.org/web/20071116010355/http://www.statistics.sk/mosmis/eng/run.html. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- ^ http://www.dolnykubin.sk/sk/navstevnik/o_meste/historia_mesta/ (Slovak)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dolny Kubin — Dolný Kubín Wappen Karte … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dolný Kubín — Wappen Karte … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dolny Kubin — Dolný Kubín Dolný Kubín Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Dolný Kubín — (Chef lieu de district) Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Dolny Kubin — Original name in latin Doln Kubn Name in other language Alsokubin, Alskubin, Dolni Kubin, Dolny Kubin, Doln Kubn, Doln Kubn, Долны Кубин State code SK Continent/City Europe/Bratislava longitude 49.20983 latitude 19.30341 altitude 520 Population… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Dolný Kubín — Sp Dòlny Kùbynas Ap Dolný Kubín L Slovakija … Pasaulio vietovardžiai. Internetinė duomenų bazė
Dolný Kubín District — District Country Slovakia … Wikipedia
Dolný Kubín (Okres) — Übersichtskarten Basisdaten Okres/Bezirk Dolný Kubín … Deutsch Wikipedia
District de Dolný Kubín — Dolný Kubín Informations Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Distrito de Dolný Kubín — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Okres Dolný Kubín Localización Situación de la Región de Žilina en Eslovaquia … Wikipedia Español