- Canadian Pacific Railway
Infobox SG rail
railroad_name=Canadian Pacific Railway
map_caption=Canadian Pacific system map as of 2004 (does not include DM&E and IC&E trackage).
marks=CP, CPAA, CPI
Canadawith branches to U.S. cities Chicago, Minneapolisand New York City
website= [http://www.cpr.ca/ http://www.cpr.ca/]
The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR; AAR
reporting marks CP, CPAA, CPI), known as CP Rail between 1968 and 1996, is a Canadian Class I railway operated by Canadian Pacific Railway Limited. Its rail network stretches from Vancouverto Montreal, and also serves major cities in the United Statessuch as Minneapolis, Chicago, and New York City. Its headquarters are in Calgary, Alberta.
The railway was originally built between eastern Canada and
British Columbiabetween 1881 and 1885 (connecting with Ottawa Valleyand Georgian Bayarea lines built earlier), fulfilling a promise extended to British Columbia when it entered Confederation in 1871. It was Canada's first transcontinental railway. Now primarily a freightrailway, the CPR was for decades the only practical means of long distance passenger transportin most regions of Canada, and was instrumental in the settlement and development of Western Canada. The CP company became one of the largest and most powerful in Canada, a position it held as late as 1975. [cite web| url=http://www.lib.uwo.ca/business/200TopCompanies.html| title=The Top 200: Canada's Largest Companies (c1973-74)| publisher=Western Libraries at The University of Western Ontario| year=2008| accessdate=2008-04-08| ] Its primary passenger services were eliminated in 1986 after being assumed by VIA Rail Canada in 1978. A beaverwas chosen as the railway's logo because it is one of the national symbols of Canada and represents the hardworking character of the company. The object of both praise and condemnation for over 120 years, the CPR remains an indisputable icon of Canadian nationalism.
The Canadian Pacific Railway is a public company with over 15,000 employees and market capitalization of 7 billion USD in 2008.cite web |url=http://zenobank.com/index.php?symbol=CA;CP&page=quotesearch|title=Company Profile for Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd (CA;CP) |accessdate=2008-10-07]
Before the Canadian Pacific Railway, 1870–1881
Canada's very existence depended on the successful completion of the major civil engineering project, the creation of a transcontinental railway. Creation of the Canadian Pacific Railway was a task originally undertaken for a combination of reasons by the Conservative government of Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald.
British Columbiahad insisted upon a transport link to the east as a condition for joining the Confederation of Canada(initially requesting a wagon road). The government however, proposed to build a railway linking the Pacific province to the eastern provinces within ten years of July 20, 1871. Macdonald also saw it as essential to the creation of a unified Canadian nation that would stretch across the continent. Moreover, manufacturinginterests in Quebecand Ontariodesired access to sources of raw materials and markets in Canada's west.The first obstacle to its construction was economic. The logical route went through the American Midwestand the city of Chicago, Illinois. In addition to the obvious difficulty of building a railroad through the Canadian Rockies, an entirely Canadian route would require crossing 1,600 km (1,000 miles) of rugged terrain of the barren Canadian Shieldand muskegof Northern Ontario. To ensure this routing, the government offered huge incentives including vast grants of land in Western Canada.
In 1872, Sir John A. Macdonald and other high-ranking politicians, swayed by bribes in the so-called
Pacific Scandal, granted federal contracts to Hugh Allan's "Canada Pacific Railway Company" (which was unrelated to the current company) and to the Inter-Ocean Railway Company. Because of this scandal, the Conservative party was removed from office in 1873. The new Liberal prime minister, Alexander Mackenzie, began construction of segments of the railway as a public enterprise under the supervision of the Department of Public Works. The Thunder Bay branch linking Lake Superiorto Winnipeg was commenced in 1875. Progress was discouragingly slow because of the lack of public money. With Sir John A. Macdonald's return to power on October 16, 1878, a more aggressive construction policy was adopted. Macdonald confirmed that Port Moody would be the terminus of the transcontinental railway, and announced that the railway would follow the Fraser and Thompson rivers between Port Moody and Kamloops. In 1879, the federal government floated bonds in London and called for tenders to construct the 206 km (128 mile) section of the railway from Yale, British Columbiato Savona's Ferry on Kamloops Lake. The contract was awarded to Andrew Onderdonk, whose men started work on May 15, 1880. After the completion of that section, Onderdonk received contracts to build between Yale and Port Moody, and between Savona's Ferry and Eagle Pass.
October 21, 1880, a new syndicate, unrelated to Hugh Allan's, signed a contract with the Macdonald government. They agreed to build the railway in exchange for $25,000,000 (approximately $625,000,000 in modern Canadian dollars) in credit from the Canadian government and a grant of 25,000,000 acres (100,000 km²) of land. The government transferred to the new company those sections of the railway it had constructed under government ownership. The government also defrayed surveying costs and exempted the railway from property taxes for 20 years. The Montreal-based syndicate officially comprised five men: George Stephen, James J. Hill, Duncan McIntyre, Richard B. Angus, and John Stewart Kennedy. Donald A. Smith and Norman Kittsonwere unofficial silent partners with a significant financial interest. On February 15, 1881, legislation confirming the contract received royal assent, and the Canadian Pacific Railway Company was formally incorporated the next day.
Building the railway, 1881–1885
The CPR started its westward expansion from Bonfield, Ontario (previously called Callander Station) where the first spike was driven into a sunken railway tie. Bonfield, Ontario was inducted into Canadian Railway Hall of Fame in 2002 as the CPR First Spike location. That was the point where the Canada Central Railway extension ended. The CCR was owned by Duncan McIntyre who amalgamated it with the CPR and became one of the handful of officers of the newly formed CPR. The CCR started in Brockville and extended to Pembroke. It then followed a westward route along the Ottawa River passing through places like Cobden, Deux-Rivières, and eventually to Mattawa at the confluence of the Mattawa and Ottawa Rivers. It then proceeded cross-country towards its final destination Bonfield (previously called Callander Station). Duncan McIntyre and his contractor James Worthington piloted the CCR expansion. Worthington continued on as the construction superintendent for the CPR past Bonfield. He remained with the CPR for about a year until he left the company. McIntyre was uncle to John Ferguson who staked out future North Bay after getting assurance from his uncle and Worthington that it would be the divisional and a location of some importance.
It was assumed that the railway would travel through the rich "Fertile Belt" of the
North Saskatchewan Rivervalley and cross the Rocky Mountainsvia the Yellowhead Pass, a route suggested by Sir Sandford Flemingbased on a decade of work. However, the CPR quickly discarded this plan in favour of a more southerly route across the arid Palliser's Trianglein Saskatchewanand through Kicking Horse Passover the Field Hill. This route was more direct and closer to the American border, making it easier for the CPR to keep American railways from encroaching on the Canadian market. However, this route also had several disadvantages.
One consequence was that the CPR would need to find a route through the
Selkirk Mountains, as at the time it was not known whether a route even existed. The job of finding a pass was assigned to a surveyor named Major Albert Bowman Rogers. The CPR promised him a chequefor $5,000 and that the pass would be named in his honour. Rogers became obsessed with finding the pass that would immortalize his name. He found the pass on May 29, 1881, and true to its word, the CPR named the pass " Rogers Pass" and gave him the cheque. This however, he at first refused to cash, preferring to frame it, and saying he did not do it for the money. He later agreed to cash it with the promise of an engraved watch.
Another obstacle was that the proposed route crossed land controlled by the
Blackfoot First Nation. This difficulty was overcome when a missionary priest, Albert Lacombe, persuaded the Blackfoot chief Crowfootthat construction of the railway was inevitable. In return for his assent, Crowfoot was famously rewarded with a lifetime pass to ride the CPR. A more lasting consequence of the choice of route was that, unlike the one proposed by Fleming, the land surrounding the railway often proved too arid for successful agriculture. The CPR may have placed too much reliance on a report from naturalist John Macoun, who had crossed the prairies at a time of very high rainfall and had reported that the area was fertile.
The greatest disadvantage of the route was in Kicking Horse Pass. In the first 6 km (3.7 miles) west of the 1,625 metre (5,330 ft) high summit, the
Kicking Horse Riverdrops 350 metres (1,150 ft). The steep drop would force the cash-strapped CPR to build a 7 km (4.5 mile) long stretch of track with a very steep 4.5% gradient once it reached the pass in 1884. This was over four times the maximum gradient recommended for railways of this era, and even modern railways rarely exceed a 2% gradient. However, this route was far more direct than one through the Yellowhead Pass, and saved hours for both passengers and freight. This section of track was the CPR's Big Hill. Safety switches were installed at several points, the speed limit for descending trains was set at 10 km per hour (6 mph), and special locomotives were ordered. Despite these measures, several serious runaways still occurred. CPR officials insisted that this was a temporary expediency, but this state of affairs would last for 25 years until the completion of the Spiral Tunnelsin the early 20th century.
In 1881 construction progressed at a pace too slow for the railway's officials, who in 1882 hired the renowned railway executive
William Cornelius Van Horne, to oversee construction with the inducement of a generous salary and the intriguing challenge of handling such a difficult railway project. Van Horne stated that he would have 800 km (500 miles) of main line built in 1882. Floods delayed the start of the construction season, but over 672 km (417 miles) of main line, as well as various sidings and branch lines, were built that year. The Thunder Bay branch (west from Fort William) was completed in June 1882 by the Department of Railways and Canals and turned over to the company in May 1883, permitting all-Canadian lake and rail traffic from eastern Canada to Winnipeg for the first time in Canada's history. By the end of 1883, the railway had reached the Rocky Mountains, just eight km (5 miles) east of Kicking Horse Pass. The construction seasons of 1884 and 1885 would be spent in the mountains of British Columbia and on the north shore of Lake Superior.
Many thousands of navvies worked on the railway. Many were European immigrants. In British Columbia, the CPR hired workers from
China, nicknamed coolies. A navvy received between $1 and $2.50 per day, but had to pay for his own food, clothing, transportation to the job site, mail, and medical care. After two and a half months of back-breaking labour, they could net as little as $16. Chinese navvies in British Columbia made only between $0.75 and $1.25 a day, not including expenses, leaving barely anything to send home. They did the most dangerous construction jobs, such as working with explosives. The families of the Chinese who were killed received no compensation, or even notification of loss of life. Many of the men who survived did not have enough money to return to their families in China. Many spent years in lonely, sad and often poor conditions. Yet the Chinese were hard working and played a key role in building the western stretch of the railway; even some boys as young as 12 years old served as tea-boys.
By 1883, railway construction was progressing rapidly, but the CPR was in danger of running out of funds. In response, on
January 31, 1884, the government passed the Railway Relief Bill, providing a further $22,500,000 in loans to the CPR. The bill received royal assent on March 6, 1884.
In March 1885, the
North-West Rebellionbroke out in the District of Saskatchewan. Van Horne, in Ottawa at the time, suggested to the government that the CPR could transport troops to Qu'Appelle, Assiniboia, in eleven days. Some sections of track were incomplete or had not been used before, but the trip to Winnipeg was made in nine days and the rebellion was quickly put down. Perhaps because the government was grateful for this service, they subsequently re-organized the CPR's debt and provided a further $5,000,000 loan. This money was desperately needed by the CPR. On November 7, 1885the Last Spike was driven at Craigellachie, British Columbia, making good on the original promise. Four days earlier, the last spike of the Lake Superior section was driven in just west of Jackfish, Ontario. While the railway was completed four years after the original 1881 deadline, it was completed more than five years ahead of the new date of 1891 that Macdonald gave in 1881.
The successful construction of such a massive project, although troubled by delays and scandal, was considered an impressive feat of engineering and political will for a country with such a small population, limited capital, and difficult terrain. It was by far the longest railway ever constructed at the time. It had taken 12,000 men, 5,000 horses, and 300 dog-sled teams to build the railway.
Meanwhile, in Eastern Canada, the CPR had created a network of lines reaching from
Quebec Cityto St. Thomas, Ontarioby 1885, and had launched a fleet of Great Lakes ships to link its terminals. The CPR had effected purchases and long-term leases of several railways through an associated railway company, the Ontario and Quebec Railway(O&Q). The O&Q built a line between Perth, Ontario, and Toronto(completed on May 5, 1884) to connect these acquisitions. The CPR obtained a 999-year lease on the O&Q on January 4, 1884. Later, in 1895, it acquired a minority interest in the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway, giving it a link to New York and the northeast US.
So many cost-cutting shortcuts were taken in constructing the railway that regular transcontinental service could not start for another seven months while work was done to improve the railway's condition. However, had these shortcuts not been taken, it is conceivable that the CPR might have had to default financially, leaving the railway unfinished. The first transcontinental passenger train departed from Montreal's Dalhousie Station, located at Berri Street and Notre Dame Street on
June 28, 1886at 8:00 p.m. and arrived at Port Moodyon July 4, 1886at noon. This train consisted of two baggage cars, a mail car, one second-class coach, two immigrant sleepers, two first-class coaches, two sleeping cars, and a diner.
By that time, however, the CPR had decided to move its western terminus from
Port Moodyto Gastown, which was renamed "Vancouver" later that year. The first official train destined for Vancouver arrived on May 23, 1887, although the line had already been in use for three months. The CPR quickly became profitable, and all loans from the Federal government were repaid years ahead of time.
In 1888, a branch line was opened between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie where the CPR connected with the American railway system and its own
steamships. That same year, work was started on a line from London, Ontarioto the American border at Windsor, Ontario. That line opened on June 12, 1890.
The CPR also leased the
New Brunswick Railwayfor 999 years and built the International Railway of Maine, connecting Montreal with Saint John, New Brunswickin 1889. The connection with Saint John on the Atlantic coast made the CPR the first truly transcontinental railway company and permitted trans-Atlantic cargo and passenger services to continue year-round when sea icein the Gulf of St. Lawrenceclosed the port of Montreal during the winter months.
By 1896, competition with the Great Northern Railway for traffic in southern British Columbia forced the CPR to construct a second line across the province, south of the original line. Van Horne, now
presidentof the CPR, asked for government aid, and the government agreed to provide around $3.6 million to construct a railway from Lethbridge, Albertathrough Crowsnest Passto the south shore of Kootenay Lake, in exchange for the CPR agreeing to reduce freight rates in perpetuity for key commodities shipped in Western Canada. The controversial Crowsnest Pass Agreement effectively locked the eastbound rate on grain products and westbound rates on certain "settlers' effects" at the 1897 level. Although temporarily suspended during World War I, it was not until 1983 that the " Crow Rate" was permanently replaced by the Western Grain Transportation Act which allowed for the gradual increase of grain shipping prices. The Crowsnest Pass line opened on June 18, 1899.
The CPR and the colonization of Canada
Practically speaking, the CPR had built a railway that operated mostly in the wilderness. The usefulness of the Prairies was questionable in the minds of many. The thinking prevailed that the Prairies had great potential. Under the initial contract with the Canadian Government to build the railway, the CPR was granted 25,000,000 acres (100,000 km²). Proving already to be a very resourceful organization, Canadian Pacific began an intense campaign to bring immigrants to Canada.
Canadian Pacific agents operated in many overseas locations. Immigrants were often sold a package that included passage on a CP ship, travel on a CP train, and land sold by the CP railway. Land was priced at $2.50 an acre and up. Immigrants paid very little for a seven-day journey to the West. They rode in Colonist cars that had sleeping facilities and a small kitchen at one end of the car. Children were not allowed off the train, lest they wander off and be left behind. The directors of the CPR knew that not only were they creating a nation, but also a long-term source of revenue for their company.
During the first decade of the twentieth century, the CPR continued to build more lines. In 1908 the CPR opened a line connecting Toronto with Sudbury. Previously, westbound traffic originating in
southern Ontariotook a circuitous route through eastern Ontario.
Several operational improvements were also made to the railway in
western Canada. In 1909 the CPR completed two significant engineeringaccomplishments. The most significant was the replacement of the Big Hill, which had become a major bottleneck in the CPR's main line, with the Spiral Tunnels, reducing the grade to 2.2% from 4.5%. The Spiral Tunnels opened in August. On November 3, 1909, the Lethbridge Viaductover the Oldman Rivervalley at Lethbridge, Albertawas opened. It is 1,624 metres (5,327 ft) long and, at its maximum, 96 metres (314 ft) high, making it the longest railway bridge in Canada. In 1916 the CPR replaced its line through Rogers Pass, which was prone to avalanches, with the Connaught Tunnel, an eight km (5 mile) long tunnel under Mount Macdonaldthat was, at the time of its opening, the longest railway tunnel in the Western Hemisphere.
The CPR acquired several smaller railways via long-term leases in 1912. On
January 3, 1912, the CPR acquired the Dominion Atlantic Railway, a railway that ran in western Nova Scotia. This acquisition gave the CPR a connection to Halifax, a significant port on the Atlantic Ocean. The Dominion Atlantic was isolated from the rest of the CPR network and used the CNR to facilitate interchange; the DAR also operated ferry services across the Bay of Fundyfor passengers and cargo (but not rail cars) from the port of Digby, Nova Scotiato the CPR at Saint John, New Brunswick. DAR steamships also provided connections for passengers and cargo between Yarmouth, Boston and New York.
July 1, 1912, the CPR acquired the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway, a railway on Vancouver Islandthat connected to the CPR using a railcar ferry. The CPR also acquired the Quebec Central Railwayon December 14, 1912.
During the late 19th century, the railway undertook an ambitious program of hotel construction, building the
Château Frontenacin Quebec City, the Royal York Hotelin Toronto, the Banff Springs Hotel, and several other major Canadian landmarks.By then, the CPR had competition from three other transcontinental lines, all of them money-losers. In 1919, these lines were consolidated, along with the track of the old Intercolonial Railwayand its spurs, into the government-owned Canadian National Railways.
World War Ibroke out in 1914, the CPR devoted resources to the war effort, and managed to stay profitable while its competitors struggled to remain solvent. After the war, the Federal government created Canadian National Railways (CNR, later CN) out of several bankrupt railways that fell into government hands during and after the war. CNR would become the main competitor to the CPR in Canada.
The Great Depression and World War II, 1929–1945
Great Depression, which lasted from 1929 until 1939, hit many companies heavily. While the CPR was affected, it was not affected to the extent of its rival CNR because it, unlike the CNR, was debt-free. The CPR scaled back on some of its passenger and freight services, and stopped issuing dividends to its shareholders after 1932.
One highlight of the 1930s, both for the railway and for Canada, was the visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to Canada in 1939, the first time that the reigning monarch had visited the country. The CPR and the CNR shared the honours of pulling the royal train across the country, with the CPR undertaking the westbound journey from Quebec City to Vancouver.
Later that year,
World War IIbegan. As it had done in World War I, the CPR devoted much of its resources to the war effort. It retooled its Angus Shopsin Montreal to produce Valentine tanks, and transported troops and resources across the country. As well, 22 of the CPR's ships went to warfare, 12 of which were sunk.
After World War II, the transportation industry in
Canadachanged. Where railways had previously provided almost universal freight and passenger services, cars, trucks, and airplanes started to take traffic away from railways. This naturally helped the CPR's air and trucking operations, and the railway's freight operations continued to thrive hauling resource traffic and bulk commodities. However, passenger trains quickly became unprofitable. During the 1950s, the railway introduced new innovations in passenger service, and in 1955 introduced " The Canadian", a new luxury transcontinental train. However, starting in the 1960s the company started to pull out of passenger services, ending services on many of its branch lines. It also discontinued its transcontinental train " The Dominion" in 1966, and in 1970 unsuccessfully applied to discontinue "The Canadian". For the next eight years, it continued to apply to discontinue the service, and service on "The Canadian" declined markedly. On October 29, 1978, CP Rail transferred its passenger services to VIA Rail, a new federal Crown corporationthat is responsible for managing all intercity passenger service formerly handled by both CP Rail and CN. VIA eventually took almost all of its passenger trains, including "The Canadian", off CP's lines.
In 1968, as part of a corporate re-organization, each of the CPR's major operations, including its rail operations, were organized as separate subsidiaries. The name of the railway was changed to CP Rail, and the parent company changed its name to
Canadian Pacific Limitedin 1971. Its express, telecommunications, hotel and real estate holdings were spun off, and ownership of all of the companies transferred to Canadian Pacific Investments. The company discarded its beaver logo, adopting the new Multimarklogo that could be used for each of its operations.
In 1984 CP Rail commenced construction of the
Mount Macdonald Tunnelto augment the Connaught Tunnelunder the Selkirk Mountains. The first revenue train passed through the tunnel in 1988. At 14.7 km (9 miles), it is the longest tunnel in the Americas.
During the 1980s, the
Soo Line, in which CP Rail still owned a controlling interest, underwent several changes. It acquired the Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Railwayin 1982. Then on February 21, 1985, the Soo Line obtained a controlling interest in the Milwaukee Road, merging it into its system on January 1, 1986. Also in 1980 Canadian Pacific bought out the controlling interests of the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway(TH&B) from Conrailand molded it into the Canadian Pacific System, dissolving the TH&B's name from the books in 1985. In 1987 most of CPR's trackage in the Great Lakesregion, including much of the original Soo Line, were spun off into a new railway, the Wisconsin Central, which was subsequently purchased by CN. Influenced by the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreementof 1989 which liberalized tradebetween the two nations, the CPR's expansion continued during the early 1990s: CP Rail gained full control of the Soo Line in 1990, and bought the Delaware and Hudson Railwayin 1991. These two acquisitions gave CP Rail routes to the major American cities of Chicago (via the Soo Line) and New York City (via the D&H).
During the next few years CP Rail downsized its route, and several Canadian
branch lines were either sold to short lines or abandoned. This included all of its lines east of Montreal, with the routes operating across Maine and New Brunswick to the port of Saint John (operating as the Canadian Atlantic Railway) being sold or abandoned, severing CPR's transcontinental status (in Canada); the opening of the St. Lawrence Seawayin the late 1950s, coupled with subsidized icebreaking services, made Saint John surplus to CPR's requirements. During the 1990s, both CP Rail and CN attempted unsuccessfully to buy out the eastern assets of the other, so as to permit further rationalization. As well, it closed divisional and regional offices, drastically reduced white collar staff, and consolidated its Canadian traffic control system in Calgary, Alberta.
Finally, in 1996, reflecting the increased importance of western traffic to the railway, CP Rail moved its head office to Calgary from Montreal and changed its name back to Canadian Pacific Railway. A new
subsidiarycompany, the St. Lawrence and Hudson Railway, was created to operate its money-losing lines in eastern North America, covering Quebec, Southern and Eastern Ontario, trackage rights to Chicago, Illinois, as well as the Delaware and Hudson Railwayin the U.S. Northeast. However, the new subsidiary, threatened with being sold off and free to innovate, quickly spun off losing track to short lines, instituted scheduled freight service, and produced an unexpected turn-around in profitability. After only four years, CPR revised its opinion and the StL&H formally re-amalgamated with its parent on January 1, 2001.
In 2001, the CPR's parent company,
Canadian Pacific Limited, spun off its five subsidiaries, including the CPR, into independent companies. Canadian Pacific Railway formally (but, not legally) shortened its name to Canadian Pacific in early 2007, dropping the word "railway" in order to reflect more operational flexibility. Shortly after the name revision, Canadian Pacific announced that it had committed to becoming a major sponsor and logistics provider to the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia.
September 4, 2007, CPR announced it was acquiring the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern Railroadfrom its present owners, London-based Electra Private Equity. [cite news | last = Goldfarb | first = Jeffrey | coauthors = Reuters | title = CP Rail to Buy DM&E For At Least $1.5 Billion | publisher = nytimes.com | date = 2007-09-05| url = http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/business/business-canadianpacific-dme.html | accessdate = 2007-09-05 ] The transaction is an "end-to-end" consolidation,cite web | title = Investor Fact Sheet | publisher = CP Rail | date = 2007-09-04| url = http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/NR/rdonlyres/ec3c6wd6efofuuztmcmcij22zo3bqpmdmli4uhfrqtwzhfedixtot5s5tkxdgarkp7cjgbzujkci5xzrpxdhtmtdj5g/Investor+Fact+Sheet+09_04_07.pdf | accessdate = 2007-09-05 |format=PDF] and will give CPR access to U.S. shippers of agricultural products, ethanol, and coal. CPR has stated its intention to use this purchase to gain access to the rich coal fields of Wyoming's Powder River Basin. The purchase price is US$1.48 billion, and future payments of over US$1.0 billion contingent on commencement of construction on the smaller railroad's Powder River extension and specified volumes of coal shipments from the Powder River basin. The transaction is subject to approval of the U.S. Surface Transportation Board(STB), which is expected to take a year.cite press release | title = Canadian Pacific announces agreement to acquire DM&E Railroad | publisher = CP Rail | date = 2007-09-04| url = http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Media/News/General/2007/CP+announces+agreement+to+acquire+DM+and+E+Railroad.htm | accessdate = 2007-09-05 ] On October 4, 2007, CPR announced it has completed the financial transactions required for the acquisition, placing the DM&E and IC&E in a voting trust with Richard Hamlinappointed as the trustee. CPR plans to integrate the railroads' operations once the STB approves the acquisition. [cite press release| url=http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Media/News/General/2007/CP+completes+acquisition+of+DME.htm| publisher=Canadian Pacific Railway| date= 2007-10-04| accessdate=2007-10-04| title=Canadian Pacific completes acquisition of DM&E Railroad| ]
Over half of the Canadian Pacific Railway's freight traffic is in
coal, grain, and intermodal freight, and the vast majority of its profits are made in western Canada. A major shift in trade from the Atlantic to the Pacific has caused serious drops in CPR's wheat shipments through Thunder Bay. It also ships automotive parts and assembled automobiles, sulphur, fertilizers, other chemicals, forest products, and other types of commodities. The busiest part of its railway network is along its main line between Calgary and Vancouver.
Since 1970, coal has become a major commodity hauled by CPR. Coal is shipped in
unit trains from coal mines in the mountains, most notably Sparwood, British Columbiato terminals at Roberts Bankand North Vancouver, from where it is then shipped to Japan. The CPR hauls over 34 million tons of coal to the west coast each year, mainly for export to Japan.
Grain is hauled by the CPR from the prairies to ports at
Thunder Bay, Ontario(the former cities of Fort William and Port Arthur), Quebec City and Vancouver, where it is then shipped overseas. The traditional winter export port was West Saint John, New Brunswick when ice closed the St. Lawrence River. Grain has always been a significant commodity hauled by the CPR; between 1905 and 1909, the CPR double-tracked its section of track between Fort William and Winnipeg to facilitate grain shipments. For several decades this was the only long stretch of double-track mainline outside of urban areas on the CPR.
In 1952, the CPR became the first North American railway to introduce intermodal or "
piggyback" freightservice, where truck trailers are carried on flat cars. Containers later replaced most piggyback service. In 1996, the CPR introduced a scheduled reservation-only short-haul intermodal service between Montreal and West Toronto called the "Iron Highway"; it utilized unique equipment that was later replaced (1999) by conventional piggyback flatcars and renamed "Expressway". This service was extended to Detroit with plans to reach Chicago. It was later cut back to Milton, west of Toronto.
Until the end of
World War II, the train was the primary mode of long-distance transportation in Canada. Among the many types of people who rode CPR trains were new immigrants heading for the prairies, troops heading to war (especially during the two world wars) and upper class tourists. It also custom-built many of its passenger cars at its CPR Angus Shopsto be able to meet the demands of the upper class.The CPR also had a line of Great Lakes ships integrated into is transcontinental service. From 1885 until 1912, these ships linked Owen Sound on Georgian Bay to Fort William. Following a major fire in December 1911 that destroyed the grain elevator, operations were relocated to a new, larger port created by the CPR at Port McNicoll opening in May 1912. Five ships allowed daily service, and included the S.S. "Assiniboia", and S.S. "Keewatin" built in 1908 which remained in use until the end of service. Travellers went by train from Toronto to that Georgian Bay port, then travelled by ship to link with another train at the Lakehead. After World War II, the trains and ships carried automobiles as well as passengers. This service featured what was to become the last boat train in North America. The "Steam Boat" was a fast, direct connecting train between Toronto and Port McNicoll. The passenger service was discontinued at the end of season in 1965 with one ship, the "Keewatin" carrying on in freight service for two more years. It later became a marine museum in the United States.
World War II, passenger traffic declined as automobiles and aeroplanes became more common, but the CPR continued to innovate in an attempt to keep ridership up. Beginning November 9, 1953, the CPR introduced Budd Rail Diesel Cars (RDCs) on many of its lines. Officially called "Dayliners" by the CPR they were always referred to as "Budd Cars" by employees. Greatly reduced travel times and reduced costs resulted which saved service on many lines for a number of years. The CPR would go on to acquire the second largest fleet of RDCs totaling 52 cars. Only the Boston and Maine Railroadhad more. On April 24, 1955, the CPR introduced a new luxury transcontinental passenger train, "The Canadian". The train provided service between Vancouver and Toronto or Montreal (east of Sudbury, the train was in two sections). The train, which operated on an expedited schedule, was pulled by diesel locomotives, and used new, streamlined, stainless steel rolling stock.
Starting in the 1960s, however, the railway started to discontinue much of its passenger service, particularly on its branch lines. For example, passenger service ended on its line through southern
British Columbiaand Crowsnest Passin January 1964, and on its Quebec Centralin April 1967, and the transcontinental train "The Dominion" was dropped in January 1966. On October 29, 1978, CP Rail transferred its passenger services to VIA Rail, a new federal Crown corporation that was now responsible for intercity passenger services in Canada.
In addition to inter-city passenger services, the CPR also provided commuter rail services in Montreal. CP Rail introduced Canada's first bi-level passenger cars here in 1970. On October 1,
1982, the Montreal Urban Community Transit Commission (MUCTC) assumed responsibility for the commuter services previously provided by CP Rail. It continues under the Metropolitan Transportation Agency (AMT).
Canadian Pacific Railway currently operates three commuter services under contract. The
West Coast Expresscomprises ten daily trains running into downtown Vancouver on behalf of TransLink, a regional transit authority. GO Transitcontracts CPR to operate 6 return trips between Milton and downtown Toronto in Ontario. In Montreal, Quebec, commuter trains run on CPR lines from Lucien-L'Allier Station to Candiac, Rigaud and Blainville–Saint-Jerome on behalf of the AMT.
leeping, Dining and Parlour Car Department
Sleeping cars were operated by a separate department of the railway that included the dining and parlour cars and aptly named as the Sleeping, Dining and Parlour Car Department.
The CPR decided from the very beginning that it would operate its own sleeping cars unlike railways in the United States that depended upon independent companies that specialized in providing cars and porters, including building the cars themselves. Pullman was long a famous name in this regard, its Pullman porters were legendary. Other early companies included the
Wagner Palace Car Company. Bigger-sized berths and more comfortable surroundings were built by order of the CPR's General Manager, William Van Horne, who was a large man himself. Providing and operating their own cars allowed better control of the service provided as well as keeping all of the revenue received although profit was never a direct result of providing food to passengers. Rather, it was the realization that those who could afford to travel great distances expected such facilities and their favourable opinion would bode well to attracting others to Canada and the CPR's trains.
This department also operated the news service which provided the news agents on passenger trains, who sold small refreshments and many other items such as playing cards to travelers, who might otherwise be unable to afford the higher priced
dining carmeals. The news service also operated lunch counters in medium sized stations at key points (there were 19 of them east of Winnipeg) while the large terminal stations had dining rooms operated directly by the Dining Car Department (e.g. the Alouette Room in Montreal's Windsor Station and the Pacific Room in the Vancouver station).
W. C. Van Horne decided from the very beginning that the CPR would retain as much revenue from its various operations as it could. This translated into keeping express, telegraph, sleeping car and other lines of business for themselves, creating separate departments or companies as necessary. This was necessary as the fledgling railway would need all the income it could get, and in addition, he saw some of these ancillary operations such as express and telegraph as being quite profitable. Others such as sleeping and dining cars were kept in order to provide better control over the quality of service being provided to passengers. Hotels were likewise crucial to the CPR’s growth by attracting travellers.
Dominion Express Company was formed independently in 1873 before the CPR itself, although train service did not begin until the summer of 1882 at which time it operated over some convert|300|mi|km of track from Rat Portage (Kenora) Ontario west to Winnipeg, Manitoba. It was soon absorbed into the CPR and expanded everywhere the CPR went. It was renamed Canadian Express Company on
September 1, 1926and the headquarters moved from Winnipeg, to Toronto. It was operated as a separate company with the railway charging them to haul express cars on trains. At major terminals separate buildings usually next to stations were owned by CPE. At smaller locations where volume would not warrant a separate employee the local station agent would act for the Express Company receiving a commission for all sales made on their behalf.
Express was handled in separate cars, some with employees on board, on the headend of passenger trains to provide a fast scheduled service for which higher rates could be charged than for LCL (Less than Carload Lot), small shipments of freight which were subject to delay. Aside from all sorts of small shipments for all kinds of businesses such products as cream, butter, poultry, and eggs were handled along with fresh flowers, fish and other sea foods some handled in separate refrigerated cars. Horses and livestock along with birds and small animals including prize cattle for exhibition were carried often in special horse cars that had facilities for grooms to ride with their animals. Automobiles for individuals were also handled by express in closed boxcars. Gold and silver bullion as well as cash were carried in large amounts between the mint and banks etc. Small business money shipments and valuables such as jewellery were routinely handled in small packets. Money orders and travellers’ cheques were an important part of the express company’s business and were used worldwide in the years before credit cards.
Canadian Express Cartage Department was formed in March 1937 to handle pickup and delivery of most express shipments including less-than-carload freight. Their trucks were painted Killarney (dark) green while regular express company vehicles were painted bright red.
Express routes using highway trucks beginning in November 1945 in southern Ontario and Alberta co-ordinated rail and highway service expanded service to better serve smaller locations especially on branchlines. Trucking operations would go on to expand across Canada making it an important transportation provider for small shipments. Deregulation in the 1980s changed everything, and it was not long before all trucking services were ended even after many attempts to change with the times. CanPar was one such attempt.
The original charter of the CPR granted in 1881 provided for the right to create an
electric telegraphand telephoneservice including charging for it. The telephone had barely been invented but telegraph was well established as a means of communicating quickly across great distances. Being allowed to sell this service meant the railway could offset the costs of constructing and maintaining a pole line along its tracks across vast distances for its own purposes which were largely for dispatching trains. It began doing so in 1882 as the separate Telegraph Department. It would go on to provide a link between the cables under the Atlantic and Pacific oceans when they were completed. Prior to the CPR line messages to the west could be sent only via the United States.
Paid for by the word, a telegram was an expensive way to send messages but, vital to businesses. An individual receiving a personal telegram was seen as being someone important except for those that transmitted sorrow in the form of death notices. Messengers on bicycles delivered telegrams and picked up a reply in cities. In smaller locations the local railway station agent would handle this on a commission basis. To speed things, at the local end messages would first be telephoned.
In 1931 it became the Communications Department in recognition of the expanding services provided which included telephones lines, news wire, ticker quotations for the
stock marketand eventually teletype machines. All were faster than businessand the public alike for many decades before cell phones and computers came along.
It was the coming of these newer technologies especially cellular telephones that eventually resulted in the demise of these services even after formation in 1967 of CN-CP Telecommunications in an effort to effect efficiencies through consolidation rather than competition. Commercial telegraph service officially ended in 1974.
Deregulationin the 1980s brought about mergers and the sale of remaining services and facilities.
On January 17, 1930 the CPR applied for licenses to operate
radio stations in eleven cities from coast-to-coast for the purpose of organizing its own radio networkin order to compete with the CNR Radioservice. The CNR had built a radio network with the aim of promoting itself as well as entertaining its passengers during their travels. The onset of the Great Depression hurt the CPR's financial plan for a rival project and in April they withdrew their applications for stations in all but Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg. CPR did not end up pursuing these applications but instead operated a phantom stationin Toronto known as "CPRY", with initials standing for "Canadian Pacific Royal York" [cite web|url=http://advisor.d6cn.com/Travel/ttttqc/Presenting_A_Behind_The_Scenes_Look_At_The_Historic_Royal_York_Hotel_One_Of_Toronto_s_Crown_Jewels_part_I.html |title=Presenting: A Behind-The-Scenes Look At The Historic Royal York Hotel - One Of Toronto's Crown Jewels (part I) |publisher=Advisor.d6cn.com |author=Thu, 30 August 2007 Article by Susanne Pacher |date= |accessdate=2008-09-29] which operated out of studios at CP's Royal York Hoteland leased time on CFRBand CKGW. [http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/networks/networks_CNR8.html] A network of affiliates carried the CPR radio network's broadcasts in the first half of the 1930s, but the takeover of CNR's Radio service by the new Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commissionremoved CPR's need to have a network for competitive reasons, and CPR's radio service was discontinued in 1935. [http://www.cade-aced.ca/display_publication.php?&i_nImageId=54]
Steamships played an important part in the history of the Canadian Pacific Railway from the very earliest days. During construction of the line in British Columbia even before the private CPR took over from the government contractor, ships were used to bring supplies to the construction sites. Similarly, to reach the isolated area of Superior in northern Ontario ships were used to bring in supplies to the construction work. While this work was going on there was already regular passenger service to the West. Trains operated from Toronto to Owen Sound where CPR steamships connected to Fort William where trains once again operated to reach Winnipeg. Before the CPR was completed the only way to reach the West was through the United States via St. Paul and Winnipeg. This Great Lakes steam ship service continued as an alternative route for many years and was always operated by the railway. It would become the last operation in North America to feature a special connecting boat train.
Once the railway was completed to British Columbia the CPR chartered and soon bought their own steamships. These sleek steamships were of the latest design and christened with the prefix Empress in a link to the Orient. Travel to and from the Orient and cargo, especially imported tea and silk were an important source of revenue aided by Royal Mail contracts. This was an important part of the All Red Route to link the British Empire. The other ocean part was the Atlantic service from England which began with acquisition of two existing lines, Beaver Line, owned by Elder Dempster and Allan Lines. These two segments became Canadian Pacific Ocean Services (later, Canadian Pacific Steamships) and operated separately from the various lake services operated in Canada. These trans-ocean routes made it possible to travel from Britain to
Hong Kongusing only the CPR's ships, trains and hotels. CP’s 'Empress' ships became world-famous for their luxury and speed. They had a practical role too in transporting immigrants from much of Europe to Canada especially to populate the vast prairies. They also played an important role in both world wars with many of them being lost to enemy action including the " Empress of Britain".
There were also a number of rail ferries operated over the years as well including, between Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan from 1890 until 1915. This began with two paddle-wheelers capable of carrying 16 cars. Passenger cars were carried as well as freight. This service ended in 1915 when the CPR made an agreement with the Michigan Central to use their Detroit River tunnel opened in 1910.
Pennsylvania-Ontario Transportation Company was formed jointly with the PRR in 1906 to operate a ferry across lake Erie between Ashtabula, Ohio and Port Burwell, Ontario to carry freight cars, mostly of coal, much of it to be burned in CPR steam locomotives. Only one ferry boat was ever operated, the "Ashtabula", a large vessel which eventually sank in a harbour collision in Ashtabula on
September 18, 1958thus ending the service.
Canadian Pacific Car and Passenger Transfer Company was formed by other interest in 1888 linking the CPR in Prescott, Ontario, and the NYC in Ogdensburg, New York. Service on this route had actually begun very early, in 1854 along with service from Brockville. A bridge built in 1958 ended passenger service however, freight continued until Ogdensburg's dock was destroyed by fire
September 25, 1970thus ending all service. CPC&PTC was never owned by the CPR. Bay of Fundy ferryservice was operated for passengers and freight for many years linking Digby, Nova Scotia, and Saint John, New Brunswick.
Eventually, after 78 years, with the changing times the scheduled passenger services would all be ended as well as ocean cruises. Cargo would continue on both oceans with a change over to containers. Canadian Pacific was an intermodal pioneer especially on land with road and rail mixing to provide the best service.
CP Shipswas the final operation, and in the end it too left Canadian Pacific ownership when it was sold off in 2005.
BC Coast Steamships
BCCS was established when the CPR acquired in 1901 Canadian Pacific Navigation Company (no relation) and its large fleet of ships that served 72 ports along the coast of British Columbia including on Vancouver Island. Service included the Vancouver-Victoria-Seattle "Triangle Route", Gulf Islands, Powell River, as well as Vancouver-Alaska service. BCCS operated a fleet of 14 passenger ships made up of a number of "Princess" ships, pocket versions of the famous ocean going "Empress" ships along with a freighter, three tugs and five rail car barges. Popular with tourists, the Princess ships were famous in their own right especially the "Princess Marguerite" (II) which became the last coastal liner operating from 1949 until 1985. The best known of the princess ships, however, is the "Princess Sophia", which sank with no survivors in October 1918 after striking the
Vanderbilt Reefin Alaska's Lynn Canal, constituting the largest maritime disaster in the history of the Pacific Northwest.
These services continued for many years until changing conditions in the late 1950s brought about their decline and eventual demise at the end of season in 1974. The "Princess Marguerite" was acquired by the province’s British Columbia Steamship (1975) Ltd. and continued to operate for a number of years.
BC lake and river services
Canadian Pacific began a long history of service in the Kootenays region of southern British Columbia beginning with the purchase in 1897 of the Columbia and Kootenay Steam Navigation Company which operated a fleet of steamers and barges on the
Arrow Lakes. Other services were also provided on the Columbia River, Kootenay Lake, Okanagan Lake, Slocan Lake, and Trout Lake. All of these lake operations had one thing in common, the need for shallow draft therefore sternwheelers were the choice of ship. Tugs and barges handled rail equipment including one operation that saw the entire train including the locomotive and caboose go along. These services gradually declined and ended in 1975 except for a freight barge on Slocan Lake. This was the one where the entire train went along since the barge was a link to an isolated section of track. The "Iris G" tug boat and a barge were operated under contract to CP Rail until the last train ran late in December 1988.
The sternwheel steamship "Moyie" on Kootenay Lake was the last CPR passenger boat in BC lake service, having operated from 1898 until 1957. It became a beached historical exhibit.
To promote tourism and passenger ridership the Canadian Pacific established a series of first class resort hotels. These hotels became landmarks famous in their own right. They include
The Algonquinin St. Andrews, Château Frontenacin Quebec, Château Laurierin Ottawa, Royal York in Toronto, Minaki Lodge in Minaki Ontario, Hotel Vancouver, Empress Hotel in Victoria and the Banff Springs Hoteland Chateau Lake Louisein the Canadian Rockies. Several signature hotels were acquired from its competitor Canadian National during the 1980s. The hotels retain their Canadian Pacific heritage but are no longer operated by the railroad. In 1998 Canadian Pacific Hotelsacquired Fairmont Hotels, an American company, becoming Fairmont Hotels and ResortsInc. and the combined corporation operated the historic Canadian properties as well as the Fairmont's U.S. properties until sold in 2006.
Canadian Pacific Airlines, also called CP Air, operated from 1942 to 1987 and was the main competitor of government owned
Air Canada. Based at Vancouver International Airport, it served Canadian and international routes until it was purchased by Pacific Western Airlineswhich merged PWA and CP Air to create Canadian Airlines.
Between the 1890s and the 1940s, the CPR transported raw
silkcocoons from Vancouver, where they had been shipped to from the Orient, to silk mills in New Yorkand New Jersey. A silk train could carry several million dollars worth of silk, so they had their own armed guards. To avoid train robberies and so minimize insurance costs, they traveled quickly and stopped only to change locomotives and crews, which was often done in under five minutes. The silk trains had superior rights over all other trains; even passenger trains would be put in sidings to make the silk trains' trip faster. At the end of World War II, the invention of nylonmade silk less valuable so the silk trains died out.
Funeral trains would carry the remains of important people, such as prime ministers. As the train would pass, mourners would be at certain spots to show respect. Two of the CPR's funeral trains are particularly well-known. On June 10, 1891, the funeral train of Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonaldran from Ottawa to Kingston, Ontario. The train consisted of five heavily draped passenger cars and was pulled by 4-4-0No. 283. On September 14, 1915, the funeral train of former CPR president Sir William Cornelius Van Horneran from Montreal to Joliet, Illinois, pulled by 4-6-2No. 2213. "The Canadian" was used as funeral train for former Prime Minister John Diefenbaker in 1979.
The CPR ran a number of trains that transported members of the Royal family when they toured Canada. These trains transported royalty through Canada's scenery, forests, small towns and enabled people to see and greet them. Their trains were elegantly decorated; some had amenities such as a post office and barber shop. The CPR's most notable royal train was in 1939.
In 1939 the CPR had the honour of giving King George VI and Queen Elizabeth a rail tour of Canada, from
Quebec Cityto Vancouver. This was the first visit to Canada by a reigning Monarch. The steam locomotive used to pull the train was numbered 2850, a Hudson ( 4-6-4) built by Montreal Locomotive Works. Specially painted royal blue with silver trim as was the entire train, the locomotive ran 5,189 km (3,224 miles) across Canada, through 25 changes of crew, without engine failure. The King, somewhat of a railbuff, rode in the cab when possible. After the tour, King George gave the CPR permission to use the term " Royal Hudson" for these locomotives and to display Royal Crowns on their running boards. This applied only to the semi-streamlined locomotives (2820–2864), not the "standard" Hudsons (2800–2819).
Between 1926 and the early 1960s the CPR ran a school car to reach people who lived in Northern Ontario, far from schools. A teacher would travel in a specially designed car to remote areas and would stay to teach in one area for two to three days, then leave for another area. Each car had a blackboard and a few sets of chairs and desks. They also contained miniature libraries. These school cars were useful in spreading education and literacy.
Major filming for the 1976 movie "Silver Streak", a fictional comedy tale of a train trip from
Los Angelesto Chicago, was done on the CPR, mainly in the Albertaarea with station footage at Toronto's Union Station. The train set was so lightly disguised as the fictional "AMRoad" that the locomotives and cars still carried their original names and numbers, along with the easily-identifiable CP Rail red-striped paint scheme. Most of the cars are still in revenue service on VIA Rail Canada; the lead locomotive is extant in Quebec, but the second unit has been scrapped.
Starting in 1999, the CPR ran a Holiday Train along its main line during the months of November and December. The Holiday Train celebrates the Christmas season and collects donations for community
food banks. The holiday train also provides publicity for the CPR and a few of its customers.
Since its launch in 1999, the Holiday Train program has raised more than $2.3 million CAD and 506 tons of food for North American food banks. All donations collected in a community remain in that community for distribution.
Royal Canadian Pacific
June 7, 2000, the CPR inaugurated the Royal Canadian Pacific, a luxury excursion service that operates between the months of June and September. It operates along a 1,050 km (650 mile) route from Calgary, through the Columbia RiverValley, and Crowsnest Pass, and returning back to Calgary. The trip takes six days and five nights. The train consists of up to eight luxury passenger cars built between 1916 and 1931 and is powered by first-generation diesel locomotives.
In 1998, the CPR repatriated one of its former passenger steam locomotives that had been on static display in the United States following its sale in January 1964, long after the close of the steam era. CPR Hudson 2816 was re-designated "Empress 2816" following a 30-month restoration that cost in excess of $1 million. It was subsequently returned to service to promote public relations. It has operated across much of the CPR system, including lines in the United States. It has been used for various charitable purposes, the most significant of which has been to raise awareness of the need to provide children with a nourishing breakfast to aid their learning in school. One hundred percent of the money raised goes to the nation-wide charity
Breakfast For Learning— the CPR bears all of the expenses associated with the operation of the train.
Countess of Dufferin] In the CPR's early years, it made extensive use of "American Standard" 4-4-0 steam locomotives and example of this is the Countess of Dufferin. Later, considerable use was also made of the 4-6-0type for passenger and 2-8-0type for freight.
Starting in the 20th century, the CPR bought and built hundreds of "Ten-Wheeler" type
4-6-0s for passenger and freight service and similar quantities of 2-8-0s and 2-10-2s for freight. 2-10-2s were also used in passenger service on mountain routes. The CPR bought hundreds of 4-6-2"Pacifics" between 1906 and 1948 with later versions being true dual purpose passenger and fast freight locomotives.
The CPR built hundreds of its own locomotives at its shops in Montreal, first at the "New Shops" as the DeLorimer shops were commonly referred to and at the massive Angus Shops that replaced them in 1904.
Some of the CPR's best-known locomotives were the
4-6-4"Hudsons". First built in 1929 they began a new era of modern locomotives with capabilities that changed how transcontinental passenger trains ran, eliminating frequent changes en route. What once took 24 changes of engines in 1886, all of them 4-4-0s except for two of 2-8-0s in the mountains, for convert|2883|mi|km between Montreal and Vancouver became 8 changes. The 2800s (Twenty Eight Hundreds) as the Hudson type was known, ran from Toronto to Fort William a distance of 811 miles (1,306 km), while another lengthy engine district was from Winnipeg to Calgary 832 miles (1,338 km). Especially notable were the semi-streamlined H1 class " Royal Hudson", locomotives that were given their name because one of their class hauled the Royal Train carrying King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on the 1939 Royal Tour across Canada without change or failure. That locomotive, No. 2850, is preserved in the Exporail exhibit hall of the Canadian Railway Museumin St. Constant (Delson) Quebec. One of the class, No. 2860, was restored by the British Columbiagovernment and used in excursion service on the British Columbia Railwaybetween 1974 and 1999.In 1929, the CPR received its first 2-10-4 Selkirk locomotives, the largest steam locomotives to run in Canada and the British Empire. Named after the Selkirk Mountains where they served, these locomotives were well suited for steep grades. They were regularly used in passenger and freight service. The CPR would own 37 of these locomotives, including number 8000, an experimental high pressure engine. The last steam locomotives that the CPR received, in 1949, were Selkirks, numbered 5930–5935.
In 1937, the CPR acquired its first
diesel-electric locomotive, a custom built one-of-a-kind switcher numbered 7000. This locomotive was not successful and was not repeated. Production model diesels were imported from American Locomotive Company(Alco) starting with five model S-2 yard switchers in 1943 and followed by further orders. In 1949, operations on lines in Vermontwere dieselized with Alco FA1 road locomotives (8 A and 4 B units), 5 Alco RS-2 road switchers, 3 Alco S-2 switchers and 3 EMD E8passenger locomotives. In 1948 Montreal Locomotive Worksbegan production of Alco designs.
In 1949, the CPR acquired 13 Baldwin designed locomotives from the
Canadian Locomotive Companyfor its isolated Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway, and Vancouver Islandwas quickly dieselized. Following that successful experiment, the CPR started to dieselise its main network. Dieselization was completed eleven years later, with its last steam locomotive running on November 6, 1960. The CPR's first-generation locomotives were mostly made by General Motors Dieseland Montreal Locomotive Works, ( American Locomotive Companydesigns), with some made by the Canadian Locomotive Companyto Baldwin and Fairbanks Morsedesigns. CP was the first railway in North America to pioneer AC traction diesel-electric locomotives, in 1984. In 1995 CP turned to General Electric GE Transportation Systemsfor the first production AC traction locomotives in Canada, and now has the highest percentage of AC locomotives in service of all North American Class I railways. As of early 2007, 578 of the CPR's 1,669 locomotives are AC.
** SD60 (ex–Soo Line)
** SD60M (ex–Soo Line)
** SD90MAC (SD90/43MAC)
** MP15DC,MP15AC (ex-Soo Line, né Milwaukee Road)
** Fuel Tenders GP40
** SD10 (ex-Soo Line, ex-Milwaukee Road, né Milwaukee Road SD7)
** E8A (bought for joint Canadian Pacific /
Boston and Maine Railroadoperations in Vermont)
**GG20B (returned to Railpower)
* 1655 locomotives
* 1000 stand alone double stack well cars
* 3100 high-capacity covered hopper cars—grain and fertilizer
* 2897 gondolas
**474—steel and concentrate
**1553—mill gondola (primarily used in scrap metal service)
**306—open coil gondola
**531—covered coil gondola
**33—covered flat-bottom gondola
* 1250 high-capacity aluminum coal cars
* 375 light-weight aluminum multi-level cars
* 175 high-capacity traverse coil steel cars
* 620 62-foot high capacity box carsCPR also has a fleet of convert|50|ft|m|sing=on boxcars, insulated boxcars, centrebeam flatcars, convert|86|ft|m|sing=on auto parts service boxcars, regular flat cars, and a fleet of tank cars.
CP owns a large number of large yards and repair shops across their system, which are used for many operations ranging from
intermodalterminals to classification yards. Below are some examples of these.
Active hump yards
Hump Yards work by using a small hill over which cars are pushed, before being released down a slope and switched automatically into cuts of cars, ready to be made into outbound trains. CP's active humps include: [cite web| author=Trains Magazine| date=
July 8, 2006| url=http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=537| title=North America's Hump Yards| accessmonthday=June 27 | accessyear=2008| ]
Calgary, Alberta- 168 acre Alyth Yard handles 2200 cars
Chicago, Illinois- Bensenville Yard
St. Paul, Minnesota- Pig's Eye Yard
Toronto, Ontario- Agincourt Yard (also known as "Toronto Freight Yard") opened in 1964
Winnipeg, Manitoba- Rugby Yard (also known as "Weston Yard")
The Canadian Pacific Railway in Canadian culture
The construction of this railway is celebrated in the popular song by
Gordon Lightfoot, " Canadian Railroad Trilogy". The story of the railway's construction was most famously told in popular history books by Pierre Berton, "The National Dream" and "The Last Spike", which were adapted into a popular CBC television seriescalled "The National Dream". The railway is also the subject of a song by Stompin' Tom Connors, "The Flying CPR". Also both Hank Snow& George Hamilton IVperformed the song "Canadian Pacific," written by Ray Griff. The song portrays a ship and rail voyage across Canada travelling Canadian Pacific.
* Canadian Pacific Railway (
October 31, 2005), " [http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Media/News/General/2005/Senior+Executive+Appointments.htm CPR Announces Senior Executive Appointment] ". Retrieved November 30, 2005.
* The Premier's Funeral (
June 11, 1891). "The Woodstock Evening Sentinel Review", p. 1.
* [http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/NR/rdonlyres/e7mxbkfsikoun6lsnedyiqvng4t4sz6zxzselashac2uq2gjhg3ntyiwhxk3neidco5yy6s2y4gs6kgosjnnwtj5vvd/2004%2bCorporate%2bProfile%2band%2bFact%2bBook.pdf Canadian Pacific Railway 2004 Corporate Profile and Fact Book] . Retrieved
February 2, 2005.
* [http://www.collectionscanada.ca/trains/kids/h32-4000-e.html Library and Archives Canada: "Special Trains -Kids Site"] Retrieved
January 19, 2008.
* [http://www.cpr.ca/ Canadian Pacific Railway official website]
* [http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains Canadian Railway history and stories]
* [http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/General+Public/Heritage/A+Brief+History.htm Official CPR brief history]
* [http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/NR/rdonlyres/e7mxbkfsikoun6lsnedyiqvng4t4sz6zxzselashac2uq2gjhg3ntyiwhxk3neidco5yy6s2y4gs6kgosjnnwtj5vvd/2004%2bCorporate%2bProfile%2band%2bFact%2bBook.pdf Canadian Pacific Railway 2004 Corporate Profile and Fact Book]
* [http://www.cprstore.com/ Station 29—CPR store]
* [http://www.railserve.com/railnews/canadianpacific_news.html Canadian Pacific Railway news]
* [http://www.scenic-railroads.com/ www.scenic-railroads.com] A gallery of CPR and other rail images.
* [http://www.trainweb.org/galt-stn/stlh.htm The unofficial St. Lawrence and Hudson Railway website]
* [http://www.bridge-line.org/blhs/blhsmain.html The Bridgeline Historical Association (with interest in the Delaware and Hudson Railway and the St. Lawrence and Hudson Railway)]
* [http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/keys/webtours/VQ_P2_18_EN.html CPR, from Sea to Sea: The Scottish Connection] — Historical essay, illustrated with photographs from the CPR Archives and the McCord Museum's Notman Photographic Archives
* [http://www.mountainrailway.com/ MountainRailway.com] Canadian Pacific Railway in western Canada as well as all-time CPR diesel locomotive roster
* [http://www.railscanada.com/index2.shtml RailsCanada.com] —Canadian rail site directory
* [http://ontarioplaques.com/Plaque_ThunderBay30.html Ontario Plaques—Sir William C. Van Horne]
* [http://ontarioplaques.com/Plaque_ThunderBay32.html Ontario Plaques—Western Route of the C.P.R.]
* [http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm.php?id=exhibit_home&fl=0&lg=English&ex=00000092 Tracks of Time]
* [http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=10196 Historica’s Heritage Minute video docudrama “Nitro.”]
Canadian CPR travel links
* [http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/RCP/default.htm The Royal Canadian Pacific] –luxury historic rail travel from Calgary to Vancouver
* [http://www.viarail.ca/ Via Rail Canada] –rail travel across Canada
* [http://www.rockymountaineer.com/default.aspx Rocky Mountaineer] –luxury train travel from Vancouver to Calgary
* [http://www.marastation.com/ Mara Train Station c.1892] —converted historic train station on historic Okanagan-Shuswap Railway CPR spur-line
* [http://www.kamrail.com/ Kamloops Heritage Railway] —Kamloops, BC
* [http://www.kettlevalleyrail.org/ Kettle Valley Steam Railway] –Summerland, BC
* [http://www.railwaymuseum.com/ Revelstoke Railway Museum] —Revelstoke, BC
* [http://www.3valleyroundhouse.com/ Three Valley Gap Railway Roundhouse] –Three Valley Gap, BC
* [http://www.revelstokecc.bc.ca/vacation/lspike.htm Last Spike at Craigellachie]
* [http://www.trainsdeluxe.com/ The Canadian Museum of Rail Travel] —Cranbrook, BC., which houses a major collection of CPR historic railcars
* [http://www.wpgrailwaymuseum.com/ Winnipeg Railway Museum: Home of the
Countess of Dufferin]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.