name = Palanga
nickname = Vasaros sostinė ("Summer Capital")
settlement_type= City municipality
pushpin_map_caption =Location of Palanga
image_shield = Coat of arms of Palanga (Lithuania).png
image_caption= Tiškevičiai Palace currently houses Amber Museum
subdivision_name3=Palanga city municipality
parts_type = Elderships
parts_style = para
p1= Šventoji eldership
established_date2 = 1791
established_title2=Granted city rights
population_total = 17,600
population_as_of = 2008
area_total_km2 = 79
Palanga (pronunciation|Palanga.ogg) is a seaside
resort townin western Lithuania, on the shore of the Baltic Sea. It is the busiest Lithuanian summer resort with sand beaches (18 km long and up to 300 m wide) and dunes. [ [http://www.randburg.com/li/palangaci.html] ] Officially Palanga has the status of city municipality and includes Šventoji, Nemirseta, Būtingėand other settlements, which are treaated as part of Palanga city.
According to a legend, there was a pagan shrine at the foot of a hill during the 14th century. That shrine was where a beautiful priestess named
Birutėused to light ceremonial fires. Having heard about Birutė, Kęstutis, the Grand Duke of Lithuania, rode over on his horse to take her for his wife. It is written in the Lithuanian Bychowiec Chroniclethat Birutė "did not want to agree, and answered that she had promised the gods to guard her virginity as long as she lived. Kęstutis took her by force, and with great honor took her back to his capital of Trakai, where he invited his brothers and threw a big wedding..." [ [http://www.pgm.lt/Istorija/Birute_en.htm] ] After Kęstutis' murder, Birutė returned to Palanga and served the Gods until she died. She is buried in the hill which is now named in her honor.
Not far from Šventoji, archaeologists discovered a campground which suggests that the area was inhabited some 5,000 years ago. During the 10th and 11th centuries Palanga had been one of the main settlements of Mēguva Land, inhabited by the Curonian tribe. Situated on the ancient
Amber Road, it was the center of trade and crafts.
In historical documents the name of Palanga was first mentioned in 1161 when the King
Valdemar I of Denmarkdisembarked there with his army and captured the castle which was held by the Curonians.
Between the 13th and 15th centuries, the inhabitants of Palanga had to confront the
Teutonic Knightsin the south and the Livonian Brothers of the Swordin the north. Their adversaries were unable to achieve their goal of seizing the Lithuanian sea-coast from Klaipėdato Šventoji. Although Klaipėda (Memel) passed into the hands of the German feudal lords under the 1422 Treaty of Melno, Palanga and Šventoji remained under Lithuanian control. The two towns gradually developed into harbours and centers of trade. British merchants established enterprises in Šventoji in 1685. During the Great Northern War, the Swedish Armyravaged Palanga, destroyed the harbour at Šventoji, and blocked up the wharfs with rocks in 1701.
Palanga was purchased in 1824 by
Count Michał Tyszkiewicz. His grandson Józef Tyszkiewicz built a pier and acquired a ship to transport passengers and bricks to nearby Liepāja. Palanga began to develop as a resort in the early 19th century. The pier has been a favourite spot for strolling and promenading since 1892. Józef Tyszkiewicz's son, Feliks Tyszkiewicz, built thr neo-renaissanceTiškevičiai Palace in 1897. Famous French landscape architect Édouard Andrédesigned a large park around the palace, constructed in 1897–1907. The palace became a favourite gathering place for intellectual discussions and concert performances. Prominent among the good friends and advisors of Feliks Tyszkiewicz was the notary, Jonas Kentra.
Following the 1864
Lithuanian press ban, Palanga had become an important point for the smuggling of Lithuanian publications. Rev. Marcijonas Jurgaitis, physician Liudas Vaineikisand Notary Jonas Kentraplayed leading roles in this action of cultural contraband. With Kentra gaining official approvals, a public gathering in 1899 featured the comedy "Amerika pirtyje" (America in the Bath) performed in Lithuanian. The Tsarist authorities deported Vaineikis and twenty-five people to Siberia in 1901. [ [http://www.pgm.lt/Istorija/Palanga_history_en.htm] ]
The Tiškevičiai Palace's park was converted into a
botanical gardenin 1960 and today it has two hundred different types of trees and shrubs, including an oak tree planted by President Antanas Smetona. The palace, now the Palanga Amber Museum, has an extensive collection of amber jewelry and other artifacts. Symphony performances are conducted in the summer, usually in the evening.
Palanga is a resort town through which the Šventoji and Rąžė (Samogitian: "Ronžē") Rivers flow into the
Baltic Sea. Rąžė was formerly known as Alanga and gave Palanga its name: "Palanga" literally means "on the Alanga River". Palanga municipality extends 24 kilometers from Nemirseta in the south to the Latvian border in the north. Palanga is historically subdivided to Nemirseta, Vanagupė, Kunigiškiai, Manciškiai, and Šventoji – five neighboring fishermen villages which were incorporated into one city after an administrative reform. When Klaipėda Regionwas part of Germany, Nemirseta was the northernmost village of the East Prussia.
Municipality is accessed by roads from
Klaipėdaand Šiauliai. There are no railroads in the municipality (closest station being in Kretinga, capital of the Kretinga district municipality). Palanga International Airport, second largest in Lithuania, offers good connections to Scandinavian and German cities. Airport is between Palanga and Šventoji, and it offers more flights in summer than winter due to the resort nature of the municipality. It also has rare flights to Vilnius, although due to good roads (A1 highway) it is more viable to travel by car or bus.
Places of interest
During the summer, hordes of tourists descend on Palanga, both for the beach and the seaside carnival centered on
Jonas BasanavičiusStreet, which is a pedestrian thoroughfare during the summer months. There are dozens of restaurants, bars, rides, sideshows, and other entertainment, most featuring bright lights, loud music, and thousands of people on the weekends. The previously-mentioned Amber Museum is located within an extensive botanical garden.
There is one of the oldest still working drugstores in Lithuania, established in the mid-19th century. The city is home to a regional radio station, FM Palanga.
* [http://www.palangatic.lt/en.php Palanga Tourist Centre]
* [http://www.palanga.lt/index.php?1180022735 Palanga Town Council]
* [http://www.balticamberroad.net/ Baltic Amber Road]
* [http://www.bfcollection.net/cities/lithuania/palanga/palanga.html Historic images of Palanga]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Palanga — Wappen Staat … Deutsch Wikipedia
PALANGA — (Ger. Polangen), resort town on the Baltic Sea in Lithuania. Jews were granted privileges of town dwellers in Palanga by the Polish king Sigismund III (1587–1632), and were permitted to own land and to engage in crafts and commerce. These… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Palanga — Palanga, deutsch Polạngen, Stadt in Litauen, nördlich von Klaipėda, erstreckt sich mit mehreren Ortsteilen über 24 km Länge entlang der Ostsee bis zur lettischen Grenze, 20 000 Einwohner; größter litauischer Kur und Badeort; botanischer Garten … Universal-Lexikon
Palanga — Palangà dkt … Bendrinės lietuvių kalbos žodyno antraštynas
Palanga — Pour la localité de République démocratique du Congo, voir Palanga (République démocratique du Congo). Palanga … Wikipédia en Français
Palanga — Original name in latin Palanga Name in other language PALANGA, PLQ, Palanga, Palangos, Polaga, Polanga, Polangen, Poga, palanga, ПАЛАНГА, Паланга State code LT Continent/City Europe/Vilnius longitude 55.9175 latitude 21.06861 altitude 5… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Palanga — trauktinė „Palanga“ statusas Aprobuotas sritis alkoholis apibrėžtis Nuo tamsiai raudonos iki rusvai raudonos spalvos, rūgštoko karstelėjusio skonio, sudėtinio uogų kvapo trauktinė, kurios etilo alkoholio koncentracija ne mažesnė kaip 40 proc.… … Lithuanian dictionary (lietuvių žodynas)
palanga — is., İt. palanco Bir halatla makaralardan oluşturulan, ağır cisimleri kaldırmaya, sağa sola döndürmeye yarayan donanım Birleşik Sözler adi palanga … Çağatay Osmanlı Sözlük
Palanga — Admin ASC 2 Code Orig. name Palanga Country and Admin Code LT.58.596240 LT … World countries Adminstrative division ASC I-II
Palanga Bosphorus Hotel Ortakoy — (Стамбул,Турция) Категория отеля: Адрес: Palanga Caddesi No:24 Orta … Каталог отелей