- Earth (Noon Universe)
Noon Universecreated by Boris and Arkady StrugatskyEarth is one of the planets populated by humans as well as their assumed origin. It is identical to the modern Earthexcept for the fact that it is set in the XXII century. Earth is particularly described in "", the first (chronologically and published) book of "Noon Universe" series.
As already stated, Earth of the XXII century is populated by humans whose civilization is the most scientifically advanced (of human ones) in the known Universe. The whole planet is one great state governed by the World Council composed of the brightest scientists, philosophers, historians and strategists. The political system may therefore be described as a technocracy but many aspects of life on Earth resemble the
idealisticvision of communismso much, that it is widely accepted to consider Earth a truly communistic state. The characters in the books (for example, in " Hard to Be a God") often refer to themselves as "communars", too.
Apparently, Earth of the Noon Universe is set in an alternative future, where the
Soviet Unionhas somehow managed to realize the ideals of communism proclaimed by Karl Marxand Vladimir Leninin the second half of XX century and continued spreading them peacefully over the planet. Soon afterwards the entire planet was united, all wars ceased and a (seemingly) utopianfuture began.
First of all, it was marked by extensive exploration of Earth own secrets such as those of
oceanand Earth's depths. However, more fascinating were the studies of the space. At the beginning they were limited to the exploration of the Solar System(see " The Land of Crimson Clouds") but with the invention of photon engine the inter-stellar flights became possible (see Ruzhena). Simultaneously, due to various technological advances in other fields, by the end of the XXI century Earth was capable of satisfying all material needs of its citizens including spaceshipsfor amateur exploration of the galaxy.
For more information about XXII century, see
Noon Universe Chronology.
The Earth's humans are the most technologically advanced civilization in the Noon Universe (except for Wanderers and maybe
Tagorians). Some of their technologies utilize the well-known principles of physicswhile the others are rather of sci-finature.
* Photon engine has replaced the normal spaceship engines by the end of XX and the beginning of XXI century. It utilizes energy of thermonuclear fusion of hydrogen-tritium plasma combined with s.c. "absolute reflector", a material [Absolute reflector is a product of mesoatomic chemistry, the science dealing with artificial atoms, electron orbitals of which are replaced with
muons.] reflecting any (!) electromagnetic waves without loss, to create a propelling force capable of accelerating a spaceship up to relativistic sub-light speeds. See " The Land of Crimson Clouds" for more info.
* Subspace jump has replaced the photon engine in the XXI century. This technology is based on the "subspace physics" and uses the "wrapping" of traditional space in order to achieve a condition in which a material body, e.g. a spaceship, is "stretched" between two points in space for a short time. This has nothing to do with traditional space travelling and is much more like teleportation but unlike "null-T" (see below) it is not applicable on a planet surface because of some technical restrictions. See "
Escape Attempt" for more info.
* Self-moving roads are much more a symbol of over-abundance on Earth in the beginning of XXII century than a real transportation device. The principles of this technology are unknown, but visually they resemble 8-meter wide horizontal
escalatorscrossing the continents of the planet in all directions. Apart from the main function, they are known for somehow purifying the environment of unwanted emissions and pollution. See "" for more info.
* Gliders and fliers are a very common in Noon Universe "semi-living mechanisms" (see below) capable of flying above the ground at a considerable speed, probably, utilizing some kind of anti-grav technology. They were commonly used even after the invention of "null-T".
* Zero-transport (often Zero-t or null-T) is a sort of
teleportationused in the Noon Universe. It was developed in the 2150s and widely applied on Earth in the second half of XXII century. Zero-t is based on the so called "puncture of the Riemannian fold" and actually goes against everything proclaimed by traditional theories of absolute space, time-space continuumand "kappa-space".
In real life it is very simple: there are two "zero-t booths", a person steps into one of them, dials the code of the other one and in an instant he or she is in the second cabin, no matter how large the distance between them (in 2177, for example, progressors used zero-t to travel between Earth and Giganda). It isn't mentioned anywhere in the books how the "Wave" problem, that devastated Rainbow in 2156, was solved. See "
Far Rainbow" for more info.
Apart from these there are also more conventional transport means used on Earth like
submarinesand helicopters, that probably remained from older times, but were, of course, modernized to match the safety requirements.
* Material synthesis is a technology that changes the elementary structure of matter in order to create new objects, e.g. golden coins out of wooden sawdust, virtually solving the
philosopher's stonemystery. This includes duplicating objects (after a sample object) and creating objects of specific structure given by a program. Apparently, this is also the solution for pollutionproblems in the Noon Universe.
* Semi-living mechanisms are mechanisms utilizing advanced
bionicstechnologies to function. They are grown out of eggs/ embryosfollowing a certain program assigned to them: "cleaning droid", "glider", "spaceship" etc. Once grown up they can regenerate and gather energy from the environment themselves acting as living organisms. They are often used on unexplored planets because embryonic eggs are very compact and easy to transport.
* Bioblockade is one of the most brilliant inventions of the Noon Universe. "Bioblockade" is a common used word for "fucamization", a procedure that activates the full power of human
immune system, making those who underwent it nearly invulnerable towards all kinds of physical, chemical and biological harmful factors, as well as nuclear radiation. This technology became possible only after "Dr. Mboga" discovered the "bacterium of life" on Pandora in 2119 AD.
Pharmacologyis what helps the people of Earth when the "bioblockade" is just not enough. Progressorsare especially fond of them because they usually take much more damage while on duty than other humans do. Two of the most popular remedies are "kasparamid" (used to remove any effects of alcoholconsumption from a human organism) and "sporamin" (used to temporarily restore maximal physical abilities to an exhausted or battered human body). See " Hard to Be a God" for more info on these two.
* Other medical technologies include: quasi-biological
colloidmass used for treating serious wounds; psy-massage and psy-surgery (healing wounds with one's own mental energy); cyber-diagnosts, devices, capable of inspecting human body for possible health problems and scanning human mind for emotions.
* Great Allplanetary Informatorium (GAI) is a huge database containing all information and knowledge ever obtained by a human. GAI is accessible from every computer on Earth and on its colonies although some topics are classified. The name probably derives from
Great Soviet Encyclopedia. Apart from scientific knowledge, there is also some information on each human born on Earth or its colonies stored in the Informatorium.
* Collector Of Dispersed Data (CODD) is a colossal
supercomputercapable of gathering information about the past and the present of its environment simply by inspecting it. CODD was built and launched in 2120 AD and, apart from its main purpose, used to solve various physical and even psychological problems.
* The Great Encoding of 2121 AD was the first attempt to record a human's identity onto an electronic medium. The experiment subject was oceanologist "Dr. Okada" who nearly perished in a submarine accident. The scientists led by "Dr. Kasparo" tried to save him by "recording" him but at the 98% Dr. Okada died because of multiple injuries he suffered in the accident. The experiment required complete shutdown of all electronic devices save for those used for encoding. Also, clouds and rain were generated to limit solar radiation. Dr. Okada's identity was being recorded on large amounts of biomass stored in specially-designed containers. Had the attempt succeeded, Dr. Okada's mind would exist in an area the size of a small town.
* "The Devil's Dozen" were 13 scientists-enthusiasts who voluntarily merged themselves with the machines becoming
cyborgs. Technically the project was a success, but eventually all participants self-destructed because of "the cyborg psychological crisis". The last of the Devil's Dozen was Camill, last spotted on Rainbow shortly before the catastrophe.
* Communication technologies used by Earth of Noon Universe are so sophisticated that they capable of transferring any amount of information onto any distance in no time, including live video communication. Presumably, "null-T" is somehow utilized to transfer information across the galaxy faster than the
speed of light.
* Other successes in IT field include: programmable "semi-living mechanisms" (see above);
androids; a probably sentient artificial intelligence(s.c. "Massachusetts Machine").
The World Council is the main governing body on Earth as well as on its colonies all over the Noon Universe. However, each of the colonies has its own World Council to handle local problems, while the Earth's one usually only suggests the overall
policy. On Earth, the Council determines the distribution of energy and other resources between various institutions like institutes, laboratories and universities. Famous members of the World Council include: August-Iogann-Maria Bader, Leonid Gorbovsky, Gennady Komovand Rudolf Sikorski.
Independent Reconnaissance Unit
FSG was a label for all non-professional explorers who went into space to discover and study new planets and stars. According to the authors of "The time of the disciples" (Время учеников), a collection of stories by authors other than the Strugatsky brothers set in the Noon Universe, the FSG existed during the period between 2114 and 2193 AD. To become a member of FSG one needed mere a piloting license and a flight registration issued by COMCON. After that, one was free to visit the planet he decided to and study it, unless there was a native civilization on it in which case he or she was supposed to leave the planet immediately after destroying all traces of one's presence.
Committee for Contacts with Other Civilizations (ComCon or COMCON) is an organization that directs the diplomatic negotiations between Earth and alien civilizations as well as the progressors' actions towards human ones. Officially, the Earth World Council makes all decisions, but usually it's up to COMCON to decide which actions should be discussed there and which not.
Committee for Control of Scientific Achievements was founded in 2137 AD to ensure the safety of the human civilization on Earth. Unlike COMCON-1, COMCON-2 is surrounded by much more mystery, which inevitably leads to a certain suspicion from the general public of Earth and even casual comparisons with
Soviet KGB. The first COMCON-2 chief was "Rudolf Sikorski" (until 2178 AD) and after that - his apprentice, Maxim Kammerer.
Galactic Security Council
GSC is a security organization like COMCON-2 founded in 2142 AD. While COMCON-2 deals with extraterrestrial threats to Earth and mankind, GSC deals with civilizations that were potentially influenced by Wanderers, such as
Sarakshor Saula. Following the events of " Prisoners of Power", GSC made the Land of Fathers its protectorate.
Institute of Space Physics
Founded in 2110s on
Kotlin Island( Gulf of Finland) ISP always concentrated on the most difficult and nearly unsolvable problems of modern physics. Some of these include: gravitation problems, deritrinitration, theory of discrete space, etc. The latter problem was the leading one in 2130s when the scientists tried to prove "the theory of intersecting universes" with the help from the "readers", a handful of people who were able to read others' thoughts. See "" for more info.
Institute of Experimental History
After half a century of idle, importance of IEH rose drastically with the discovery of Saula and other human planets. The specialization of this Institute is the history of human civilizations and means to speed it up (to "progress" it). The field agents of IEH are therefore referred to as "
progressors". In the middle of the XXII century IEH studies were considered to be the most important ones (along with "null-physics") on Earth. See " Hard to Be a God" for more info.
Earth and other civilizations
A brief summary of Earth's relationships with other civilizations:
Relationships with alien races
Ark Megaforms- despite numerous attempts by COMCON, no official contact was ever established
* Garrotian Snails - n/a; it is known, however, that the Snails consider humans mere a product of their own imagination, therefore an official contact is highly improbable
Golovans- a full-scaled contact was established in 2160 AD and the Golovans had a permanent embassyon Earth
Leoniders- a diplomatic contact was established in 2133 AD, but because of great differences between them and humans no considerable technology exchange was possible
Tagorians- a full-scaled diplomatic contact established in 2124 AD and followed by a considerable technology exchange has been cancelled by Tagora shortly after the initiation of the " Stepchildren Case"
* Wanderers - no official contact was ever established, although, apparently, Wanderers have been progressing humanity for a long time
Relationships with human civilizations
Arkanar- no official contact established, although 250 agents of IEH are "progressing" the civilization since 2141 AD
* Giganda - Earth's progressors played a significant role in putting an end to the war between "Alai Duchy" and "the Empire"
* Hope - during the unsuccessful "Dead World" operation progressors tried to rescue the remnant population of the planet but were fiercely opposed by them
Ludens- an official contact established at "The Great Revelation" in 2199 by Maxim Kammerer and others, although Ludens had operated on Earth in secret for decades
* Pant - during the "Ark Project" progressors attempted to rescue the entire population the planet to a safe solar system
Saraksh- a small group of progressors, including "Rudolf Sikorski", desperately attempted to maintain control over the situation on the planet since 2148 but their entire efforts were undone by "Maxim Kammerer" in 2157 AD
Saula- n/a; but since "Institute of Experimental History" was reactivated after the discovery of Saula in 2141 AD it is logical to suggest that progressors have been working on the planet ever since that
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Noon Universe — The Noon Universe (Russian term: Мир Полудня or Мир Полдня World of Noon ) is a fictional future setting for a number of hard science fiction novels written by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. The universe is named after Noon: 22nd Century, the… … Wikipedia
Humans (Noon Universe) — Humans (люди) of the Noon Universe created by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky are mostly identical to homo sapiens. Humans inhabit numerous planets, but their original homeworld is probably Earth, others being populated by humans, presumably, as a… … Wikipedia
Wanderers (Noon Universe) — Wanderers (Странники pronounced: stranniki ) are a fictional alien race from the Noon Universe created by Strugatsky brothers. Their homeworld is unknown. No official contact between Earth and Wanderers has ever been registered, although they ve… … Wikipedia
Rainbow (Noon Universe) — Rainbow (Радуга, pronounced: Raduga ) is a fictional planet described in Far Rainbow by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. This planet is a part of the so called Noon Universe and presents a planetwide experimental laboratory used by null physicists… … Wikipedia
Foundlings (Noon Universe) — In the Noon Universe created by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, the foundlings are a group of 13 humans, who evolved out of the embryos stored in the sarcophagus . The embryos were discovered on December 26, 2137 by Boris Fokin s group of explorers… … Wikipedia
Ark (Noon Universe) — Ark (Russian: Ковчег, Kovcheg ) is a fictional planet described in Space Mowgli ( Малыш ) by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. This planet is a part of the so called Noon Universe and presents a barren world very similar to Earth in all aspects except … Wikipedia
Minor planets of Noon Universe — The Noon Universe novels by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky featured a number of planets that were not covered extensively over the course of the narrative. Nonetheless, some scant information about them is available. Contents 1 Blue Sands planet 2… … Wikipedia
List of minor Noon Universe characters — The Noon Universe novels by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky featured a number of characters who were not of vital importance to the XXII century, like Leonid Gorbovsky or Maxim Kammerer. Contents 1 Bader, August Iogann Maria 2 Bromberg, Isaac 3… … Wikipedia
Minor personalities of the Noon Universe — The Noon Universe novels by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky featured a number of characters who were not of vital importance to the XXII century, like Leonid Gorbovsky or Maxim Kammerer. Bader, August Iogann Maria August Iogann Maria Bader was a… … Wikipedia
Noon: 22nd Century — … Wikipedia