Bangla: সোনারগাঁও) is the ancient capital of Isa Khan's kingdom in Bengal. It is located near the current-day city of Narayanganj, Bangladesh. The great Muslim traveler Ibn Battutavisited it in the 14th century. It is the eastern terminus of the Grand Trunk Road, which was built by Sher Shah Suriin the 16th century, and which extends approximately 2500 kilometres across northern Indiaand Pakistanto Peshawarin Pakistan's North-West Frontier Province.
* Sonargaon's `Lok Shilpa Jadughar', was a part of Isa Khan's capital.
* The Panam City was the center of the upper-middleclass people of Sonargaon. It is now breaking down.
* Musa Khan's Masjid, the Mosque beside the brave of Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah in Shahidullah Hall of the University of Dhaka is a marked work and it is said that the Mosque was made by Isa Khan or son of him, Musa Khan.
* The Fort of Hajiganj was the main tactical fort of Isa Khan in front of Meghna, Shitalakhya and Brahmaputra. Now at Narayanganj. It is saved by the authority.
* There is another sister concern of the fort across the river, few miles away.
Due to the many threats to preservation (including flooding and vandalism) that this culturally and historically significant city faces, the
World Monuments Fundplaced it on its 2008 Watch List of the 100 Most Endangered Sites in the world.
* [http://wmf.org/watch2008/watch.php?id=S886 The World Monuments Fund's 2008 Watch List page for Sonargaon]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sonargaon Upazila — Infobox of upazilas native name = Sonargaon skyline = skyline caption = The ruins of the ancient capital at Sonargaon locator position = right latd = 23.6583 longd = 90.6083 division name = Dhaka Division district = Narayanganj District… … Wikipedia
Pan Pacific Sonargaon Dhaka — (Dhaka,Бангладеш) Категория отеля: 5 звездочный отель Адрес: 107 Kazi Na … Каталог отелей
Shamsuddin Iliyas Shah — Sultan Shams ud Din Iliyas Shah (1342 1358) (Bengali: ইলিয়াস শাহ) was the founder of the Iliyas Shahi dynasty of the independent Sultanate of (unified) BengalMahajan, V.D. (1991, reprint 2007). History of Medieval India , Part I, New Delhi: S.… … Wikipedia
History of Mymensingh — refers to the history of old or greater Mymensingh district, presently covered by Mymensingh, Kishoreganj, Netrakona, Tangail, Jamalpur, and Sherpur districts in Dhaka Division of Bangladesh. Mymensingh district was established by the British… … Wikipedia
History of Bangladesh — Bangladesh became one of the last major nation states following its secession in 1971 from the nation of Pakistan, which achieved its independence from the British Empire along with India in (1947). The region s history combines Indo Aryan,… … Wikipedia
Timeline of 14th century Muslim history — The names of people, battles, and places need to be spelled as they are on other articles title and then wikified. 14th century (1301–1400) (700 AH – 803 AH)* 1301: In Bengal, Ruknuddin Kaikaus, the king of Bengal dies and is succeeded by his… … Wikipedia
Narayanganj District — Narayanganj নারায়ণগঞ্জ জেলা District Location of Narayanganj in Bangladesh … Wikipedia
Taj Mahal Bangladesh — Coordinates: 23°44′46″N 90°34′03″E / 23.74611°N 90.5675°E / 23.74611; 90.5675 … Wikipedia
Grand Trunk Road — The Grand Trunk Road (commonly abbreviated to GT Road) is one of South Asia s oldest and longest major roads. For several centuries, it has linked the eastern and western regions of the Indian subcontinent, running from Bengal, across north India … Wikipedia
Mohammad Ashraful — Personal information Full name Mohammad Ashraful Born 7 July 1984 (1984 07 07) (age 27) Dhaka, Bangladesh Batting style Right handed … Wikipedia