- Jonathan Scott (politician)
Jonathan Palmer Scott (Jon Scott) is a Republican politician in the United States, and an advocate of free market reforms. He was an unsuccessful challenger for
United States Congressin Rhode Island's 1st congressional districtin 2006.
Scott was born in 1966 in
Providence, Rhode Islandto Mary Lou Gilbert, a single mother and former Ice Capadesskater and instructor. He described his mother, during a radio interview on Rhode Island’s WPRO, as “amazingly industrious”.Fact|date=October 2008 According to his account, she had dropped out of Hope High School (Providence, RI) in order to pursue her skating career and received her GED. She later “worked her way through Salve Regina nursing schoolas a lab tech, through anesthesiaschool as a pediatricsnurse and, when she got a bit bored, decided to get her law degree, as well”.
In 1975, his mother married Perry Scott. He has never made reference to his biological father.
Scott attended the
Moses Brown School; a prestigious private Quakerschool on Providence’s East Side which boasts Christopher Hill, Will MacKenzie, Tom Chappell, and Vincent Cianciamong its alumni. He was at the school from elementary school through high school graduation. He later attended the University of Rhode Island, where he chaired the Student Senate, and Harvard University(Extension School).
He has never married but has a son, who is adopted. Chris is 24 and lives with his father in Providence.
Scott was a professional captain on racing sailboats after a college career at the University of Rhode Island in which he crewed on two
Kennedy Cupwinning teams – NCAAsailing’s equivalent of the national championship. He later sailed as a paid professional on a variety of boats around the world. He has sailed with a number of famous sailors including ESPNcommentator Gary Jobson.
In 2006, just prior to his announcement for the Congressional race, he completed his 10th
Newport to Bermuda race.
Scott is nationally recognized as a coach and coaching educator. He coached sailing, football, wrestling and lacrosse from youth to elite levels for 18 years.
He was, at age 19, assumed to be the youngest varsity high school lacrosse head coach in the nation at the
Portsmouth Abbey School, where he coached for almost ten years. He also coached wrestling at the school.
He coached wrestling for
Bridgewater State Collegeand was certified as a Freestyle Coach for USA Wrestling. He coached at the organization’s Junior Olympic Developmental Camps and was a coaching instructor for them.
Scott was a
Counselorand Group Home Manager in Providence, prior to embarking on his political career. He worked with an adolescent male population and also served as a liaison to Family courtand as an Educational Advocate for special educationstudents.
A populist Republican who centered his campaign around the idea of returning government’s control to “the common man” announced his candidacy for
US Congresson the steps of the Rhode Island State House. Though he was unknown, he easily won the Rhode Island Republican Party’s endorsement at their state convention in June 2006 and cruised to victory in the Republican primary with over 70% of the vote in a year that saw a tremendous amount of attention paid to the primary because of an extremely contentious contest between incumbent Senator Lincoln Chafeeand former Cranston, Rhode Island Mayor Stephen Laffey.
Scott lost in November to incumbent Patrick Kennedy (D), who had been the subject of a great deal of controversy during the summer of 2006.
Scott later helped establish
Ocean State Policy Research Institute, Rhode Island’s first ever “ free marketbased think tank”. He was named the Chairman of the Board in late 2007. Former United States Secretary of the Navy, J. William Middendorf, who also serves on the think tank’s Board, is said to be a close ally of Scott’s, as are such Washington insiders as Grover Norquist(President of Americans for Tax Reform) who spoke at a dinner for the Policy group and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich. Scott was the RI Coordinator for Gingrich’s “ American Solutions Day” project in 2007.
* [http://www.jonscott2008.com Scott 2008 Blog]
* [http://www.oceanstatepolicy.org Ocean State Policy Website]
* [http://www.projo.com/extra/election/content/congress28_10-28-06_6K2JJM5.338fe73.html Kennedy, Challengers Debate] Providence Journal 10/28/06
* [http://www.projo.com/extra/election/content/projo_20060903_scott.3230f33.html Voice of the Regular Guy] Providence Journal 9/3/06
* [http://www.projo.com/extra/election/content/SCOTT23_10-23-06_TA2GAF0.338ec9a.html Newcomer Scott Unfazed] Providence Journal 10/23/06
* [http://www.boston.com/news/local/rhode_island/articles/2006/11/05/despite_woes_kennedy_strong_in_ri/ Kennedy Still Strong] Boston Globe 11/05/06
* [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/01/ap/politics/mainD8L4F4IO0.shtml Kennedy Rebounds] CBS News
* [http://media.www.browndailyherald.com/media/storage/paper472/news/2006/11/07/Metro/The-Heralds.Guide.To.The.2006.General.Election-2443881.shtml Guide to the Elections] Brown Daily Herald 11/07/2006
* [http://www.projo.com/extra/election/content/projo_20060913_cong13sc.355424b.html Scott Heads to November Showdown] Providence Journal 10/13/2006
* [http://thephoenix.com/notfornothing/2007/07/12/WhatsNextForJonScott.aspx What's Next for Jon Scott?] Providence Phoenix 7/12/07
* [http://www.projo.com/news/content/reed_money_10-16-07_P17GBU3.2f05e27.html Reed has Nest Egg...] Providence Journal 10/16/07
* [http://www.anchorrising.com/barnacles/003175.html Meet Jon Scott; Candidate for Congress] Anchor Rising interview
* [http://www.atr.org/pledge/national/challengers.html Anti-Tax Pledge Signers 2006 Cycle] Americans for Tax Reform
* [http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributors/content/CT_scott14_04-14-08_ON92CJA_v8.39d7174.html Let There Be Light "Jonathan Scott"] Providence Journal Op Ed 04/14/08
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Jonathan Scott — may refer to:*Jonathan Scott (zoologist), wildlife photographer, zoologist and host of BBC s Big Cat Diary *Jonathan Scott (football player), an American football player with the Detroit Lions *Jonathan Scott (actor), a British actor who… … Wikipedia
Jonathan Aitken — Infobox Politician honorific prefix = name = Jonathan Aitken honorific suffix = office = Chief Secretary to the Treasury term start = 20 July 1994 term end = 5 July 1995 primeminister = John Major predecessor = Michael Portillo successor =… … Wikipedia
Scott McClellan — Infobox Politician name = Scott McClellan caption = Scott McClellan in the press room of the White House width = 250 px small order = 25th office = White House Press Secretary term start = July 17 2003 term end = April 26 2006 predecessor = Ari… … Wikipedia
Jonathan M. Davis — Infobox Governor name= Jonathan M. Davis caption= order=22nd office= Governor of Kansas term start= January 8, 1923 term end= January 12, 1925 lieutenant= Benjamin S. Paulen predecessor= Henry J. Allen successor= Benjamin S. Paulen birth date=… … Wikipedia
Mike Bishop (Michigan politician) — For other people of the same name, see Michael Bishop. Michael D. Bishop (born March 18, 1967) is a Republican Party politician from the U.S. state of Michigan. He is a former member and majority leader of the Michigan Senate. Bishop, of… … Wikipedia
David Martin (Scottish politician) — For other people named David Martin, see David Martin (disambiguation). David Martin MEP Member of the European Parliament for Scotland Incumbent Assumed office 10 June 1999 … Wikipedia
Dimitar Stoyanov (politician) — Dimitar Stoyanov Dimitar Kinov Stoyanov (Bulgarian: Димитър Кинов Стоянов) (Sofia, 17 May 1983) is a Bulgarian and EU politician. While still a student of Law at Sofia University, Dimitar Stoyanov joined the National Union Attack (Ataka) party… … Wikipedia
Patrick Brown (politician) — Infobox CanadianMP name=Patrick W. Brown term start=2006 term end= predecessor= Aileen Carroll birth date= birth date and age |1978|5|26 birth place= Toronto, Ontario successor= death date= death place= profession= lawyer party=Conservative party … Wikipedia
Willie Brown (politician) — Willie Brown, Jr. Brown in February 2006 41st Mayor of San Francisco In office January 8, 1996 – January 8, 2004 Preceded by Frank J … Wikipedia
Daniel Kerr (politician) — Daniel Kerr (June 18, 1836 October 8, 1916) was a two term Republican U.S. Representative from Iowa s 5th congressional district in the 1880s, who later switched parties. Born near Dalry, Ayrshire, Scotland, Kerr emigrated to the United States… … Wikipedia