- National Occupational Standards
National Occupational Standards (NOS) specify UK standards of performance that people are expected to achieve in their work, and the knowledge and skills they need to perform effectively.
According to the Sector Skills Development Agency (SSDA, from 1 April 2008 replaced by the UK Commission for Employment and Skills), National Occupational Standards set out measurable performance outcomes to which an individual is expected to work in a given occupation. Developed by employers across the UK, NOS set out the skills, knowledge and understanding required to perform competently in the workplace.
NOS, which are approved by UK government regulators, are available for almost every role in every sector in the UK. For example, there are NOS for:
- workers in hospitality, leisure, travel & tourism
- care workers
- sports coaches
- museum staff
- probation officers
- those working in environmental conservation.
All approved National Occupational Standards are available for downloading free of charge from the NOS Directory.
Components of NOS
According to the SSDA , a unit of NOS must comprise:
- Title, reflecting the content of the NOS
- Overview, an introductory section providing a brief summary of the NOS to help the user judge whether it is relevant to them
- Performance criteria, defining in detail what is expected of the individual
- Knowledge and understanding, what the individual needs to know and/or understand to enable them to meet the performance criteria
NOS may also have sections covering:
- Scope, specifying the range of circumstances or situations that have a critical impact on the activity when carrying out the performance criteria
- Elements. A NOS can be divided into two or more discrete elements which describe the activities the person has to carry out.
- Values and behaviours, the personal attributes an individual is expected to demonstrate within the NOS.
NOS can be used to support any and all human resource management and development activities, as shown in the toolkit developed for Skills for Justice to support the use of the NOS for Legal Advice.
- SSDA, 2007a, Draft Guidance to Sector Skills Councils on Developing, Reviewing and Promoting National Occupational Standards
- SSDA, 2007b, Definition, Description and Explanation of National Occupational Standards
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Vocational Qualification — National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) are work based awards in England, Wales and Northern Ireland that are achieved through assessment and training. In Scotland they are known as Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ). To achieve an NVQ,… … Wikipedia
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health — NIOSH logo The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (or NIOSH) is the United States’ federal agency responsible for conducting research and making recommendations for the prevention of work related injury and illness. NIOSH is… … Wikipedia
Occupational safety and health — is a cross disciplinary area concerned with protecting the safety, health and welfare of people engaged in work or employment. The goal of all occupational safety and health programs is to foster a safe work environment. As a secondary effect … Wikipedia
Occupational hygiene — Occupational (or industrial in the U.S.) hygiene is generally defined as the art and science dedicated to the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, communication and control of environmental stressors in, or arising from, the workplace that may… … Wikipedia
National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators — Type Professional Organization Founded 1995 Location Fairfax, VA (headquarters office) Key people John M. Kennedy, president … Wikipedia
National Fire Protection Association — Abbreviation NFPA Formation 1896 Headquarters Quincy, Massachusetts … Wikipedia
National Rehabilitation Hospital — MedStar Health Geography Location Washington D.C, USA … Wikipedia
National Health Federation — logo and cover of Health Freedom News Formation January 1955 Type Health freedom organization … Wikipedia
National Aviation Academy — Training Aviation Maintenance Technicians Location Clearwater, FL Bedford, MA, Information … Wikipedia
National Hsinchu University of Education — (NHCUE) National Hsinchu University of Education (NHCUE) was founded in April, 1940, renamed National Hsinchu Teachers College in 1987 and finally got the name of National Hsinchu University of Education in 2005.At present, the university… … Wikipedia