- David Benatar
David Benatar is professor of philosophy and head of the Department of Philosophy at the University of Cape Town in Cape Town, South Africa. He is best known for his advocacy of antinatalism in his book Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming into Existence, in which he argues that coming into existence is a serious harm, regardless of the feelings of the existing being once brought into existence, and that, as a consequence, it is always morally wrong to create more sentient beings.
Benatar has spoken out in favour of the corporal punishment of children and routine circumcision of male infants. He is the author of a series of widely cited papers in medical ethics, including "Between Prophylaxis and Child Abuse" (The American Journal of Bioethics) and "A Pain in the Fetus: Toward Ending Confusion about Fetal Pain" (Bioethics). His work has been published in such journals as Ethics, Journal of Applied Philosophy, Social Theory and Practice, American Philosophical Quarterly, QJM: An International Journal of Medicine, Journal of Law and Religion and the British Medical Journal.
- Benatar, David (2006). Better Never to Have Been: The Harm of Coming Into Existence. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0199296421.
- Cutting to the Core: Exploring the Ethics of Contested Surgeries (2006)
- Ethics for Everyday. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002.
- Life, Death & Meaning : Key Philosophical Readings on the Big Questions (2004)
- ^ University of Cape Town Philosophy Department Staff
- ^ Steyn, Mark (December 14, 2007). "Children? Not if you love the planet". Orange County Register. http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/child-birth-homeless-1942317-year-percent. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- ^ David Benatar, "Corporal Punishment", in: Social Theory and Practice, vol. 24 (1998), pp. 237-260.
- ^ Michael Benatar, David Benatar, "Between Prophylaxis and Child Abuse: The Ethics of Neonatal Circumcision," in: David Benatar, ed., Cutting to the Core: Exploring the Ethics of Contested Surgeries (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2006), pp. 23-46.
- ^ "Benatar: Between Prophylaxis and Child Abuse - Google Scholar". Google Scholar. http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&cites=15948435448560715085. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- ^ "Benatar: A Pain in the Fetus: Toward Ending Confusion about Fetal Pain - Google Scholar". Google Scholar. http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&cites=9536043302784273755. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- Haupt, Adam. "We dare not erase ‘race’ from debate". Mail & Guardian (Johannesburg): p. 14 May 2007 11:59. http://www.mg.co.za/article/2007-05-14-we-dare-not-erase-race-from-debate. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- London, Leslie (4 June 2007, Volume 26.08). "Affirmative action and the invisibility of white privilege". Monday Paper (University of Cape Town). http://www.uct.ac.za/mondaypaper/archives/?id=6381. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- Raditlhalo, Sam (April 25, 2007). "So much remains hidden behind those plastic smiles at UCT". Cape Times. http://www.capetimes.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3798450. Retrieved 2008-04-29. [dead link]
- "Affirmative Action and UCT – the debate". Monday Paper (University of Cape Town). 23 April 2007, Volume 26.05. http://www.uct.ac.za/mondaypaper/archives/?id=6280. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
David Benatar — (* 8. Dezember 1966) ist ein zeitgenössischer Philosoph und Professor an der Universität Kapstadt, Südafrika. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Arbeitsgebiet 2 Schriften 3 Einzelnachweise … Deutsch Wikipedia
Benatar — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: David Benatar, südafrikanischer Philosoph, Professor an der Universität Kapstadt Pat Benatar (* 1953), US amerikanische Rock Sängerin Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Untersc … Deutsch Wikipedia
David Klass — is an American screenwriter and novelist. He has written more than 40 screenplays for Hollywood studios and published 14 young adult novels. His screenplays are primarily character based thrillers for adults, while his novels often tell the… … Wikipedia
Salomon Benatar — est un entrepreneur juif rhodien des XIXe et XXe siècles (1883 1938). Il est connu pour avoir été le pionnier de l’installation de nombreux membres de sa communauté au Congo Belge. Né à Rhodes dans l’Empire ottoman, Salomon Benatar est âgé… … Wikipédia en Français
Liste der Biografien/Ben — Biografien: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q … Deutsch Wikipedia
Circumcision — This article is about male circumcision. For female circumcision, see Female genital mutilation. Circumcision Intervention Circumcision being performed in central Asia, possibly Turkmenistan c. 1865–1872. Restored albumen … Wikipedia
Marilyn Milos — Marilyn Fayre Milos Born March 22, 1940 (1940 03 22) (age 71) San Mateo, California Nationality American Occupation Former registered nurse Know … Wikipedia
Childfree — (sometimes spelled child free) also known as voluntary childlessness  is a form of childlessness. The term was coined in the English language late in the 20th century and is used to describe people who have made a personal decision not to… … Wikipedia
Corporal punishment — This article is about punishment involving pain, not designed to cause injury. For other forms of physical punishment, see physical punishment. For the Blackadder episode, see Corporal Punishment (Blackadder). For the American professional… … Wikipedia
Antinatalism — is the philosophical position that asserts a negative value judgement towards birth. It has been advanced by figures such as Arthur Schopenhauer, Brother Theodore and David Benatar.cite book |doi=10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199296422.001.0001 | last … Wikipedia