- Chantilly Lace (song)
"Chantilly Lace" is the name of a rock and roll song, written and originally performed by The Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson) in 1958. The Co-writers of the song were Jerry Foster and Bill Rice. The single was produced by Jerry Kennedy. Originally cut for Pappy Daily's D label, Mercury bought the recording and released it in the summer of 1958; what ensued was that the song gained popularity (mostly on pop, with regional country music appeal). The single peaked at number 6 and stayed 25 weeks in the charts.
The song depicts one side of a flirting telephone conversation, with a young man talking about what he likes about his girlfriend, including:
The song reached #6 on the pop charts and spent 22 weeks on the national Top 40. It was the third most played song of 1958.
The phrase "Oh Baby That's What I Like", said in falsetto by Richardson in "Chantilly Lace", was sampled by DJs project Jive Bunny with the music collage track "That's What I Like", which included samples from Jerry Lee Lewis, Chubby Checker, Surfaris, Ventures and other r&r singers and bands from late 50's to early 60's scene.
- ^ US catalogue no. Mercury 71343; Whitburn, Joel: Top Pop Singles 1955-1993. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Ltd., 1994, p. 49
- ^ US catalogue no.: Mercury 73273; the flip side was Think About It Darlin
- ^ Roland, Tom: The Billboard Book Of Number One Country Hits. New York City / New York: Billboard Books; London: Guiness Publishing Ltd., 1991, p. 66
- ^ The single peaked at #43; Whitburn, Joel: Top Pop Singles 1955-1993. Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Ltd., 1994, p. 355
- ^ UK catalogue no.: Mercury 6052 131; the single reached # 33 und stayed for five weeks in the charts; Rice, Jo / Rice, Tim / Gambacini, Paul / Read, Mike: The Guiness Book Of The Hits Of The 70s. London: Guiness Superlatives Ltd., 1980, p. 101
- ^ Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 14 - Big Rock Candy Mountain: Rock 'n' roll in the late fifties. [Part 4] : UNT Digital Library" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu. http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc19763/m1/. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- ^ "The Official Website of 'The Big Bopper'". Officialbigbopper.com. Archived from the original on 2008-06-16. http://web.archive.org/web/20080616092903/http://www.officialbigbopper.com/i_thestories.htm. Retrieved 2008-09-02.
"My Hang-Up is You"
by Freddie Hart
Billboard Hot Country Singles number-one single
(Jerry Lee Lewis version)
April 22-May 6, 1972
by Merle Haggard
by Stompin' Tom Connors
RPM Country Tracks number-one single
(Jerry Lee Lewis version)
May 13, 1972
"Nothin' Shakin' (But the Leaves on the Trees)"
by Billy "Crash" Craddock
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chantilly lace — This article is about the type of lace. For the song, see Chantilly Lace (song). For the film, see Chantilly Lace (film) … Wikipedia
Chantilly — may refer to: France Chantilly, Oise, a French city located in the Oise département in the Picardie région Château de Chantilly, a historic château located in the town of Chantilly, France Chantilly cream, a sweet whipped cream used in… … Wikipedia
American Pie (Song) — American Pie ist ein Lied von Don McLean. Aufgenommen wurde der Titel 1971 und im selben Jahr auf dem Album American Pie veröffentlicht. Das Lied erreichte 1972 den ersten Platz in den US amerikanischen Singlecharts und Platz 2 in Großbritannien … Deutsch Wikipedia
Биг Боппер — The Big Bopper Имя при рождении Джайлс Перри Ричардсон младший Дата рождения 24 октября 1930(1930 10 24) Место рождения … Википедия
All Systems Go (Rocket from the Crypt album) — Infobox Album | Name = All Systems Go Type = Compilation Album Artist = Rocket from the Crypt Released = 1993 (re released 1998) Recorded = Genre = Punk rock, rock and roll Length = 54:14 Label = original release: Cargo/Headhunter re release:… … Wikipedia
The Nashville Teens — Origin Weybridge, Surrey Genres Pop Years active 1962–1973 1980–present Associated acts Jerry Lee Lewis … Wikipedia
Shorty Long — Frederick Earl Shorty Long (May 20, 1940 – June 29, 1969) was an African American soul singer, songwriter, and record producer for Motown s Soul Records imprint. He was a native of Birmingham, Alabama, United States, and a 1980 inductee of the… … Wikipedia
The Big Bopper — J. P. The Big Bopper Richardson Datos generales Nacimiento 24 de octubre de 1930 Sabine Pass, Texas Origen USA Muerte 3 de febrer … Wikipedia Español
Soul Music — infobox Discworld|id=16th novel ndash; 3rd Death story characters=Death Susan Imp y Celyn Glod Glodsson Lias Bluestone locations=Ankh Morpork Death s Domain motifs=Rock music and related mythologising year=1994 publisher=Victor Gollancz… … Wikipedia
Jerry Lee Lewis discography — Jerry Lee Lewis discography Releases ↙Studio albums 40 ↙Live albums 4 … Wikipedia