- Charles A. McClelland
Charles A. McClelland (born 1917) is an American political systems analyst and International Relations Professor Emeritus at the San Francisco State University, who was among the first to introduce General Systems Theory in the field of International Relations.
He started working in the 1940s at the department of International Relations at the San Francisco State College, where he became professor of history and international relations, as well as a visiting professor in the department of Political Science, University of Michigan, and at the University of Southern California. One of his students was James N. Rosenau.
McClelland was one of the first scholars of the Center for the Study of the American Experience at USC. McClelland has received research grants from the Advanced Research Projects Agency, a research arm of the Pentagon.
He was president of Society for General Systems Research from 1959 to 1961. In 1967 he received a USC Associates Awards for Letters, Arts and Sciences.
- 1960, The United Nations: the Continuing Debate. Chandler publishing. 1960
- 1960, Nuclear weapons, missiles, and future war: problem for the sixties.
- 1962, College teaching of international relations; problems of organization and collaboration. A report on applied and experimental studies of undergraduate college education in international relations.
- 1967, Theory of the International System. New York : The Macmillan Company.
- 1970, An Interaction Survey of the Middle East, with Anne Ancoli.
- 1972, International Events Interaction Analysis: Some Research Considerations. With, Edward E. Azar and Richard A. Brody (eds.) Beverly Hills: Sage Publications.
- 1958, "Systems and History in International Relations". In: General Systems Yearbook 3 (1958), p. 237.
- 1959, "A Classification of International Relations Theory" in: American Behavioral Scientist, Vol. 2, No. 4, 32-34 (1959)
- 1960, "The function of theory in international relations" in: Journal of Conflict Resolution 4 (1960), pp. 303–336.
- 1961, "The Acute International Crisis," in: World Politics, Vol. 14 (October 1961), p. 199.
- 1962, "General Systems and the Social Sciences," in: A Review of General Semantics, 18 (1962), 456.
- 1972, "The Beginning, Duration, and Abatement of International Crises: Comparisons in Two Conflict Arenas", in C. F. Hermann (ed.), International Crises: Insights from Behavioral Research (New York: Free Press, 1972).
- Publications about McClelland
- Charles P. Schleicher (1967), "Reviewed work(s): Theory of the International System by Charles A. McClelland", in: The Western Political Quarterly, Vol. 20, No. 1 (Mar., 1967), pp. 232–233
- ^ Robert L. Pfaltzgraff (1972), Politics and the International System page 111.
- ^ Edward E. Azar, Richard A. Brody, Charles A. McClelland (1972), International Events Interaction Analysis: Some Research Considerations, p. 80.
- ^ The Board of Trustees at the University of Southern California, Data compiled by Daniel Brandt in 1978-1979; introduction written in 2001. Retrieved 22 April 2008.
Society for General Systems Research Presidents
Kenneth Boulding (1957-58) · Charles McClelland (1959-61) · Willam Ashby (1962-64) · Anatol Rapaport (1965) · Peter Caws (1966) · John Milsum (1967) · Milton Rubin (1968) · Lawrence Slobodkin (1969) · Bertram Gross (1970) · Stafford Beer (1971) · Margaret Mead (1972) · James Grier Miller (1973) · Gordon Pask (1974) · Kjell Samuelson (1975) · Heinz von Foerster (1976) · Charles Vickers (1977) · Richard Ericson (1978) · Brian Gaines (1979) · Robert Rosen (1980) · George Klir (1981) · John N. Warfield (1982) · John A. Dillon (1985) · Peter Checkland (1986) · Russell L. Ackoff (1987)
International Society for the Systems Sciences Presidents
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Charles McClelland — Houston Police Department Badge number Chief Place of birth Center, Texas Years of service 1977 Present … Wikipedia
McClelland — may refer to: People Charles A. McClelland (born 1917), American political systems analyst David McClelland, American psychologist Douglas (Doug) McClelland, Australian politician Hugh McClelland (1875–1958), Australian politician James… … Wikipedia
Charles Fenerty — c.1870 Born c.January 1821 (DOB not known) Upper Sackville, Nova Scotia (Canada was not a united country at his birth) … Wikipedia
Charles G.D. Roberts — Sir Charles G. D. Roberts Source: Library and Archives Canada, C 006718 Born Charles George Douglas Roberts 1860 January 10 Douglas, New Brunswick Died 1943 November 26 … Wikipedia
Charles Miller Croswell — (* 31. Oktober 1825 in Newburgh, Orange County, New York; † 13. Dezember 1886 in Adrian, Michigan) war ein US amerikanischer Politiker und von 1877 bis 1881 der 17. Gouverneur von Michigan. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Frühe Jahre … Deutsch Wikipedia
Charles Sangster — Born July 16, 1822(1822 07 16) near Kingston, Upper Canada Died December 9, 1893(1893 12 09) … Wikipedia
Charles P. B. Taylor — Born 1935 Ottawa, Ontario Canada Died July 8, 1997 Residence Toronto, Ontario Education Queens University Occupation … Wikipedia
Charles Mair — Born 1838 September 21 Lanark, Upper Canada Died 1927 July 7 Victoria, B.C. Resting place Ross Bay Cemetery, Victoria … Wikipedia
Charles Lang Freer House — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic District Contributing Property … Wikipedia
Charles Pachter — Born December 30, 1942 Toronto, Ontario Canada Field painter, printmaker, sculptor, d … Wikipedia