- My Own Worst Enemy (TV series)
My Own Worst Enemy
Promotional image for My Own Worst Enemy.
Genre Drama Created by Jason Smilovic Starring Christian Slater
Country of origin United States Language(s) English No. of seasons 1 No. of episodes 9 (List of episodes) Production Executive producer(s) Jason Smilovic Running time 40 minutes Broadcast Original channel NBC Original run October 13 – December 15, 2008
My Own Worst Enemy is an American television drama that aired on NBC in 2008. It premiered on October 13 and ended on December 15 after 9 episodes. The series was produced by Universal Media Studios. Jason Smilovic was the executive producer; David Semel was the director and executive producer. The final episode ended with a cliff-hanger, and the major plot lines ended without resolution.
The series follows the life of American secret agent Edward Albright and his cover, Henry Spivey, who had no knowledge of his double life. Albright, played by Christian Slater, was implanted with a chip allowing his handlers to physically switch Albright's personality to that of his cover. However, in the pilot episode, there was a malfunction which caused Albright's personalities to switch at random, revealing his secret life to his alias. Henry is then thrown into the highly dangerous life of Edward, with no real way for the two to communicate except through short cell phone video messages.
General Motors was a promotional sponsor of the show, and the new SUV model Chevrolet Traverse, along with the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, appeared as cars for the program's characters via a product placement agreement.
The complete series was released to DVD on April 21, 2009.
Cast and characters
- Henry Spivey/Edward Albright (Both played by Christian Slater) - Henry is a middle-class efficiency expert living a humdrum life in the suburbs with a wife, two kids, and a dog. Edward is an operative who speaks 13 languages, runs a four-minute mile, and is trained to kill. Henry and Edward are polar opposites who share only one thing in common—the same body. When the carefully constructed wall between them breaks down, Henry and Edward are thrust into unfamiliar territory where each man is dangerously out of his element. The first names match those of the two dueling spirits that shared a body in Robert Louis Stevenson's novella Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
- Angie Spivey (played by Mädchen Amick) - A housewife who lives with her loving husband Henry Spivey and two children, Jack Spivey and Ruthy Spivey.
- Jack Spivey (played by Taylor Lautner) - Son and oldest child of Henry and Angie Spivey.
- Ruthy Spivey (played by Bella Thorne) - Daughter and youngest child of Henry and Angie Spivey.
- Mavis Heller (played by Alfre Woodard) - Edward's supervisor in the superspy organization
- Tom Grady/Raymond Carter (played by Mike O'Malley) - Raymond Carter is a superspy partner with Edward Albright. Tom Grady is Henry Spivey's friend.
- Dr. Nora Skinner (played by Saffron Burrows) - Dr. Skinner is the company therapist who helps the employees. At the end of the third episode, it is discovered that she knows about Henry/Edward's secret and is currently carrying on an affair with Edward.
- Alistair Trumbull (played by James Cromwell) - Trumbull is the chief of operations for Project Janus. He is both cunning and devious, and places very little faith in Edward's capabilities as he suspects he has broken.
The first online review of the series said the show was a "snappily written, fast-paced thriller that shows Slater can be a likable TV star." Metacritic gave the show a score of 61/100 based on 25 critic reviews.
# Title Directed by Written by Original air date U.S. viewers
1 "Breakdown" David Semel Jason Smilovic October 13, 2008 7.3 Henry discovers his alter ego and tries to cope with his discovery, not knowing whether or not he should trust Mavis. Conflicts are resolved and the episode ends with Edward watching a thank you video from Henry. It is established that while the two can't meet, they can communicate. 2 "The Hummingbird" Félix Enríquez Alcalá Jason Smilovic October 20, 2008 5.7 Edward and Raymond must kidnap a German software engineer with information about a possible terrorist attack. Henry tries to deal with the fact that all his childhood memories were made up. With the help of Mavis, Henry must pretend to be Edward when he accidentally meets Edward's boss, Alistair Trumbull. 3 "Hello, Henry" Bryan Spicer Tyler Mitchell October 27, 2008 5.2 Edward is double crossed when he is in Mexico in search of Russia's new age nuclear bomb. Ruthy is accidentally put into a dangerous situation by Edward, which causes an FBI agent to look into the matter. Tom/Raymond's wife thinks there is more to the business trips he always takes, so she hires a private investigator to check it out for her. 4 "That Is Not My Son" Fred Keller Courtney Kemp Agboh & Kim Clements November 10, 2008 4.2 Henry awakens and finds himself in the midst of gunfire, while Edward was trying to save Raymond. He calls for help giving away his whereabouts and his identity. Mary Grady finds out the truth about Tom. He realised that his son, Jack, has got some of Edwards martial arts potential. 5 "The Night Train to Moscow" David Semel Rafe Judkins & Lauren LeFranc November 17, 2008 3.9 Henry starts to suspect that Angie is a spy planted by Janus, while Edward makes a dangerous deal with a KGB agent in exchange for information regarding his past. 6 "High Crimes and Turducken" Adam Kane Mark Rosner November 24, 2008 3.8 Edward puts national security in jeopardy in finding the culprit who murdered his parents. Angie braces herself in the arrival of her father. Tom gives his marriage a second chance. Henry gets to see first hand Edward's relationship with Dr. Norah Skinner. 7 "Down Rio Way" Michael Watkins Rafe Judkins & Daniel Knauf December 1, 2008 4 Edward commits treason, when asking about his parent's death. Raymond tries to reason with Tom and Mary to avoid any potential accidents. 8 "Love In All the Wrong Places" Gwyneth Horder-Payton Scott Murphy December 8, 2008 4.9 While on a mission in Angola, Edward and Raymond find long time American hostages. Mavis and Alistair Trumbull can't agree on exactly how they want to go about bringing them home. 9 "Henry and the Terrible, Horrible No Good Very Bad Day" David Straiton Rafe Judkins, Lauren LeFranc & Tyler Mitchell December 15, 2008 4.08 Edward thinks he may have found a reliable, yet dangerous way to activate the switch between himself and Henry.
- ^ Breaking News - NBC Pulls the Plug on "Enemy," "Jungle" | TheFutonCritic.com
- ^ New NBC Series: My Own Worst Enemy - Fall 2008
- ^ Stelter, Brian (November 14, 2008). "Low Ratings End Show and a Product Placement". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/business/media/14adco.html?ref=arts. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- ^ The Live Feed; First look: 'My Own Worst Enemy'
- ^ My Own Worst Enemy (NBC) - Reviews from Metacritic
- ^ a b "'Dancing' is unstoppable, 'Enemy' falls". http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/10/dancing-is-unst.html. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- ^ "Monday Ratings: CBS Repeats Help ABC". http://television.gearlive.com/tvenvy/article/Monday-Ratings-CBS-Repeats-Help-ABC/. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
My Own Worst Enemy — may refer to: My Own Worst Enemy (TV series), an American action/drama TV series My Own Worst Enemy (Scrubs), an episode of the American TV sitcom Scrubs My Own Worst Enemy (song), song by rock band Lit My Own Worst Enemy , a song by… … Wikipedia
My Own Worst Enemy (série télévisée) — My Own Worst Enemy Titre original My Own Worst Enemy Genre Série dramatique Créateur(s) Jason Smilovic Pays d’origine États Unis … Wikipédia en Français
Series One, Episode Four (Island at War) — Series One, Episode Four is the fourth episode of the first series of the television drama Island at War .Plot summaryAt the barracks prison Oberleutnant Flach interrogates, and then orders beaten, Eugene La Salle, based on an inadvertent tip… … Wikipedia
Dollhouse (TV series) — Dollhouse Genre Science fiction Thriller Psychological thriller Drama … Wikipedia
Supergroup (TV series) — For other uses, see Supergroup (disambiguation). SuperGroup Format Reality television Starring … Wikipedia
The Worst Witch — This article is about the novel series. For the television series of the same name, see The Worst Witch (TV series). Contents 1 Series overview 2 Works 3 … Wikipedia
Angel (TV series) — infobox Television show name = Angel format = Supernatural, Fantasy, Horror, Action, Drama runtime = approx. 42 min. creator = Joss Whedon David Greenwalt starring = David Boreanaz Charisma Carpenter Glenn Quinn Alexis Denisof J. August Richards… … Wikipedia
List of The Worst Witch characters — Contents 1 Mildred Hubble 2 Maud Moonshine 3 Enid Nightshade 4 Ethel Hallow 5 Miss Hardbroom … Wikipedia
Doña Bárbara (Telemundo series) — For other uses of Doña Bárbara , see Doña Bárbara (disambiguation). Doña Bárbara La Devoradora de Hombres Edith González, Christian Meier Génesis Rodríguez Format … Wikipedia
Merlin (series 4) — Merlin series 4 Country of origin United Kingdom No. of episodes 13 Broadcast Original channel BBC … Wikipedia