- Malachy McCourt
McCourt at Occupy Wall Street in October 2011
Born 20 September 1931
Brooklyn, New York City,
New York, USA
Occupation Writer, actor, politician Nationality American
Children Siobhan and Malachy Jr. (by first wife Linda), Conor and Cormac (by second wife Diana) Relative(s) Frank McCourt (brother)
Alphie McCourt (brother)
Malachy Gerard McCourt (born 20 September 1931) is an Irish-American actor, writer and politician. He was the 2006 Green Party candidate for governor in New York State, losing to the Democratic candidate Eliot Spitzer. He is the younger brother of Frank McCourt.
Born in Brooklyn, New York, McCourt was raised in Limerick, Ireland. He returned to the United States in 1952. He has four children: Siobhan, Malachy III, Conor (a retired New York City police sergeant and documentary maker), and Cormac, the latter two by his second wife Diana. He also has a stepdaughter, Nina. He was portrayed by Peter Halpin in the film version of his brother's memoir Angela's Ashes. He is also one of the four founding members of the Manhattan Rugby Football Club in 1960. Malachy also starred in 'Tis.
Film, television, radio and music career
He has acted on stage, on television and in several movies, including The Molly Maguires. He has appeared on three New York City-based soap operas: Ryan's Hope, Search for Tomorrow, and One Life to Live. He is also known for his annual Christmas-time appearances on All My Children as Father Clarence, a priest who shows up to give inspirational advice to Pine Valley citizens.
In the 1970s he had a talk show on WMCA.
In recent years he has occasionally appeared on various programs on New York City's political radio station, WBAI. Among the shows on which he has appeared has been Radio Free Éireann. He is also a regular guest artist at the Scranton Public Theatre in Pennsylvania, having performed in Inherit the Wind, Love Letters and A Couple of Blaguards which he co-wrote with brother Frank McCourt. Currently, Malachy has been hosting a call-in radio forum on WBAI, airing on Sunday mornings at 11am. He also had a short-lived role as a Catholic priest on the critically acclaimed HBO prison drama Oz. He gained fame in New York as the owner of Malachy's, a bar on Third Avenue that became a legend in its time, where celebrities and others gathered nightly in an atmosphere of unmatched conviviality. One of his frequent patrons was actor and friend Richard Harris who although famous took some downtime to bartend for McCourt. McCourt played Francis Preston Blair in Gods and Generals (2003).
McCourt also wrote two memoirs titled, respectively, A Monk Swimming and Singing My Him Song, detailing his life in Ireland and later return to the United States where despite limited education he operated a successful Manhattan tavern frequented by entertainment celebrities. He also authored a book on the history of the much loved Irish ballad Danny Boy.
On Tuesday, 18 April 2006, McCourt announced that he would seek to become governor of New York in the November 2006 election as a Green Party candidate. Running under the slogan "Don't waste your vote, give it to me", McCourt promised to recall the New York National Guard from Iraq, to make public education free through college, and to institute a statewide comprehensive "sickness care" system. McCourt polled at 5% in a 10 October Zogby poll, versus 25% for Republican John Faso and 63% for Democrat Eliot Spitzer. McCourt was endorsed by Cindy Sheehan, mother of a fallen soldier in the Iraq War. The League of Women Voters excluded him from candidate debates. He came in a distant third in the general election, received 40,729 votes (or just under 1%), 9,271 votes short of what was required to gain automatic access in the 2010 election.
Party political offices Preceded by
Green Party Nominee for Governor of New York
- Voices of Ireland: Classic Writings of a Rich and Rare Land ISBN 0-7624-1701-3
- Singing My Him Song ISBN 0-06-019593-2
- A Monk Swimming: A Memoir ISBN 0-7868-6398-6
- Danny Boy: The Legend of the Beloved Irish Ballad ISBN 0-451-20806-4
- The Claddagh Ring: Ireland's Cherished Symbol Of Friendship, Loyalty And Love ISBN 0-7624-2014-6
- Bush Lies in State ISBN 0-9755746-0-4
- Harold Be Thy Name: Lighthearted Daily Reflections for People in Recovery ISBN 1-56649-296-3
- Through Irish Eyes: A Visual Companion to Angela McCourt's Ireland ISBN 0-7651-0887-9
- History of Ireland ISBN 978-0-7624-3181-6
- Essay in The Face in the Mirror: Writers Reflect on Their Dreams of Youth and the Reality of Age ISBN 978-1-59102-752-2
- New York gubernatorial election, 2006
- New York Green Party
- Green Party of the United States
- Alison Duncan
- The McCourts of New York (DVD)
- Frank McCourt
- ^ http://audiophileusa.com/item.cfm?record=77836
- ^ http://archive.wbai.org/files/mp3/060916_133001rfeireann.MP3
- ^ "Zogby Poll: Dems on Top in Major New York Races". Zogby International. 10 October 2006. http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1180. Retrieved 1 November 2006.
- ^ http://gpnys.dreamhosters.com/?p=312
- ^ http://blogs.timesunion.com/capitol/?p=2323
- ^ http://www.gp.org/press/states/ny/ny_2006_10_03.shtml
McCourt in the news
- O'Hanlon, Ray (31 October 2006). "Mission improbable: McCourt gov. bid has serious side". The Irish Echo. http://www.irishecho.com/newspaper/story.cfm?id=18173.
- Quigley, Buck (31 October 2006). "See You There: Malachy McCourt". Buffalo Artvoice. http://artvoice.com/issues/v5n43/see_you_there/malachy_mccourt.
- "A Green Governor". The Brian Lehrer Show. WNYC. http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/episodes/2006/10/30.
- Eleveld, Kerry (23 October 2006). "Why Green Is Good For Gays: Green Party reframes local, state debate". The New York Blade. http://www.newyorkblade.com/2006/10-23/news/localnews/green.cfm.
- Roy, Yancey (28 October 2006). "Spitzer's lead keeps governor's race quiet". Democrat & Chronicle. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061028/NEWS01/610280333/1002/NEWS.
- "Interview with Malachy McCourt". 'Hardball with Chris Matthews' for 5 September. MSNBC. 5 September 2006. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14697476/.
- Grace, David (1 September 2006). "Interview with Malachy McCourt". Indymedia. http://radio.indymedia.org/news/2006/09/11368.php.
- "Bloomsday on Broadway". The Leonard Lopate Show. WNYC. 13 June 2006. http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/episodes/2006/06/13.
- "Malachy McCourt finds new kick with 'A Monk Swimming'". The Leonard Lopate Show. CNN. 22 July 1998. http://www.cnn.com/books/dialogue/9807/mccourt/.
- "Frank McCourt (1930-2009): Late Author’s Younger Brother Malachy Remembers Childhood Poverty Depicted in "Angela’s Ashes"". Democracy Now!. 21 July 2009. http://www.democracynow.org/2009/7/21/frank_mccourt_1930_2009_late_authors.
- Malachy McCourt at the Internet Movie Database
- Malachy's Personal Website
- Governor's race campaign website
- "You Don't Have to be Irish to Vote for Me with Malachy McCourt (Introduction by Frank McCourt)". One-man show in support of campaign. Symphony Space. 31 October 2006. http://symphonyspace.org/genres/eventPage.php?genreId=1&eventId=1810.
- "Anti-War Speech by McCourt". Third Planet Video. 31 October 2006. http://thirdplanetvideo.com/GPNYCandidatePage.html.
- Cultural Workers for Malachy
- A Couple of Blaguards, the stageplay Malachy performs with his brother, Frank
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Malachy McCourt — Malachy McCourt … Deutsch Wikipedia
McCourt — (also rendered MacCourt, McCord, McCoard, McCard and occasionally Courtney) is an Irish surname associated with the province of Ulster. It derives from the Old Gaelic name MacCuarta or sometimes MacCuairt , translating as the son of Cuairt , a… … Wikipedia
Malachy — may refer to: Malachy (given name) A male first name of Hebrew origin Malachy McCourt (born 1931), Irish American actor, writer and politician Saint Malachy, Irish 12th century saint Máel Sechnaill mac Máele Ruanaid, 9th century High King of… … Wikipedia
McCourt — ist der Name folgender Personen: Carmel McCourt (* 1958), britische Sängerin, bekannt als Carmel Dale McCourt (* 1957), kanadischer Eishockeyspieler Frank McCourt (1930–2009), US amerikanischer Schriftsteller Malachy McCourt (* 1931), irisch US… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Frank McCourt — Infobox Writer name = Frank McCourt imagesize = 200px caption = Author Frank McCourt pseudonym = birthdate = birth date and age|df=yes|1930|8|19 birthplace = Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA deathdate = deathplace = occupation = Writer,… … Wikipedia
Frank McCourt — bei einer Lesung in Köln im September 2006 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Frank McCourt — en 2007 Francis « Frank » McCourt, né le 19 août 1930 à Brooklyn et mort le 19 juillet 2009 à New York, est un enseignant e … Wikipédia en Français
A Monk Swimming — Infobox Book name = A Monk Swimming title orig = translator = image caption = author = Malachy McCourt illustrator = cover artist = country = Ireland language = English series = subject = genre = Memoir publisher = release date = 1998 media type … Wikipedia
New York gubernatorial election, 2006 — 2002 ← November 7, 2006 → 2010 … Wikipedia
Las cenizas de Ángela (película) — Angela s Ashes Título Las cenizas de Angela Ficha técnica Dirección Alan Parker Producción David Brown Alan Parker Scott Rudin … Wikipedia Español