- Mitchell Rales
Mitchell Rales (born c. 1956) is an American businessman. He has been a director of Danaher Corporation since 1983.
Early life and education
Mitchell Rales grew up in Bethesda, Maryland and graduated from Walt Whitman High School in 1974. He earned a degree in business administration at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio in 1978 and was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity.
In 1979, he left his father's real estate firm to found Equity Group Holdings, with his brother Steven M. Rales. Using junk bonds, they bought a diversified line of businesses. They changed the name to Diversified Mortgage Investors, in 1978, and then Danaher, in 1984.
In the 1980s, the AM side of WGMS was sold off to Washington, D.C., venture capitalists Steven and Mitchell Rales, who converted the music station into the first frequency for WTEM, a sports-talk station, in 1992. In 1988, he made a hostile takeover bid for Interco, (including Converse (shoe company), and Ethan Allen (furniture company)). He later ended the bid after five months with a profit of $60 million.
He is on the boards of both the Hirshhorn Museum and the National Gallery of Art.
The museum houses his collection of modern and contemporary masterworks. Located on 125 acres (0.51 km2) of landscaped lawns, meadows and woods in Potomac, Maryland, this private art museum was designed by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates Architects. The structure, which is part of an assemblage of buildings and outdoor sculpture, stands across a 3-acre (12,000 m2) pond from the client’s home, guesthouse and pool house. The 22,000-square-foot (2,000 m2) museum is a multiple volume, single-level structure clad in zinc panels and French limestone. A large, naturally lit sculpture gallery is the organizing element for a sequence of 18-feet-high gallery spaces with state-of-the-art museum environmental controls, and an administrative office suite. The sculpture gallery is also the gathering space for receptions and special events and opens onto a terrace overlooking the pond and grounds. Support space to one side of the galleries includes high-density art storage, temporary holding space, a service dock and a catering kitchen.
Visitors to the museum grounds must first pass through the estate’s entry gatehouse, and then drive along a maple tree-lined road, passing between two commissioned sculptures by Richard Serra and Tony Smith. The cobblestone entry court, anchored by another Richard Serra piece, has views of the pond, the residence and a commissioned Ellsworth Kelly totem sculpture which acts as the site’s fulcrum.
Access is by appointment only.
- ^ Murphy, Carolyn and Lynn Stander (September 2005). "We Knew Them When". Bethesda Magazine. http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/sept05/when.php.
- ^ Kiger, Patrick J. (November 1994). "The good guys: Steven and Mitchell Rales have quietly brown-bagged their way to fortunes worth half a billion dollars. But they'd rather you didn't know that. Or them.". Regardie's Magazine. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-9301324_ITM.
- ^ David A. Vise; Steve Coll (August 23, 1988). "The Rales Brothers Play for Big Stakes; Little-Known Area Family Builds an Industrial Empire". The Washington Post. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1274918.html.
- ^ "COMPANY NEWS; Request on Interco". The New York Times. August 4, 1988. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE6DF173AF937A3575BC0A96E948260.
- ^ "COMPANY NEWS; Rales Brothers Sell Their Interco Stake". The New York Times. December 16, 1988. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE6D91338F935A25751C1A96E948260.
- ^ Thomas Heath (July 7, 2008). "The Quiet Dynamism of the Brothers Rales". The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/06/AR2008070601875.html.
- ^ Angela Valdez (June 4, 2008). "A Very Private Collection". Washington City Paper. http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=35679.
- #323 Mitchell Rales profile in Forbes The World's Billionaires, 2007
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of billionaires (2004) — What follows is the list of billionaires (in US dollars) worldwide, for 2004 by Forbes , not including heads of state whose wealth is tied to their position. See the link to the list ranking heads of government and state at the bottom of this… … Wikipedia
Liste Des Milliardaires Du Monde En 2007 — Liste des milliardaires du monde 1991 ... 2004 . 2005 . 2006 . 2007 . 2008 . 2009 Ceci est la liste des milliardaires du monde telle que publiée par le magazine américain Forbes pour l année 2007. Ce maga … Wikipédia en Français
Multimillonarios — Anexo:Multimillonarios Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Esta es la lista de los multimillonarios del mundo tal como fue publicada por la revista estadounidense Forbes por el año 2007. Esta revista censa a los multimillonarios del planeta a excepción … Wikipedia Español
Список миллиардеров (2004) — Список людей, состояние которых превышает 1 млрд долл. на февраль 2004 года по версии журнала Forbes (The World’s Richest People 2004). Содержание 1 Трое самых богатых людей 2 Полный с … Википедия
Список миллиардеров (2005) — Список людей, состояние которых превышает 1 млрд долл. на февраль 2005 года по версии журнала Forbes (The World s Richest People 2005). Содержание 1 Десять самых богатых людей 2 … Википедия
Anexo:Lista de multimillonarios de Forbes (2007) — Esta es la lista de los multimillonarios del mundo tal como fue publicada por la revista estadounidense Forbes por el año 2007. Esta revista censa a los multimillonarios del planeta a excepción de las cabezas coronadas (excepto si su fortuna es… … Wikipedia Español
List of Miami University alumni — Government, military, public administration= *Charles Anderson, 27th Governor of Ohio (1865–1866) *Calvin Stewart Brice, Former U.S. Senator, railroad magnate and campaign manager for Grover Cleveland s U.S. presidential campaign against Brice s… … Wikipedia
Potomac, Maryland — Infobox Settlement official name = Potomac, Maryland settlement type = CDP nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = image imagesize = image caption = image mapsize = map caption = mapsize1 = map caption1 = subdivision type = Country… … Wikipedia
WGMS (defunct) — Radio station name = WGMS airdate = December 29, 1946 city = 1946 1992: Rockville 1948 2006: Washington 2006 2007: Braddock Heights/Waldorf frequency = 1946 1992: 570 kHz 1948 2006: 103.5 MHz 2006 2007: 103.9 MHz/104.1 MHz area = Washington, D.C … Wikipedia
WTNT (AM) — Infobox Radio Station name = WTNT city = Bethesda, Maryland area = Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area branding = McCain 570 slogan = airdate = April 9, 2001 frequency = 570 kHz HD Radio format = Talk power = 5,000 watts (day) 1,000 watts (night)… … Wikipedia