- Geronimo Stilton
For the TV series of the same name, see Geronimo Stilton (TV series)
Geronimo Stilton is a best-selling children's book series published by Edizioni Piemme of Milan, Italy, since 2000. Scholastic Corporation has published the English version of the series since February 2004. Although the series credits its title character as the author, the idea was originally thought of by Elisabetta Dami. On older novels, the copyright is issued to a pseudonym "Geronimo Stilton," this was changed on newer books. The books are intended for readers in the 8–16 year old age range.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Characters
- 3 The books
- 4 The Rodent's Gazette Online
- 5 References
- 6 External links
In the series, the title character is a talking mouse who lives in New Mouse City on Mouse Island. A best-selling author, Geronimo Stilton works as a journalist and editor for the fictional newspaper The Rodent's Gazette.
He has a younger sister named Thea Stilton, a cousin named Trap Stilton, and a favorite little nephew, nine-year-old Benjamin Stilton. Geronimo is a nervous, mild-mannered mouse who would like nothing better than to live a quiet life, but he keeps getting involved in far-away adventures with Thea, Trap, and Benjamin. The books are written as though they are autobiographical adventure stories.
Papercutz obtained the rights to publish English translations of the graphic novels of Geronimo Stilton. These retain some of the original names of the characters that were changed in the storybooks translated by Scholastic. For example,the English translations of the graphic novels by Papercutz continue to use the names "Patty Spring" and "Pandora Woz" while the storybooks by Scholastic changed these names to Petunia Pretty Paws and Bugsy Wugsy, respectively.
Geronimo and relatives, friends and foes (mice)
Geronimo Stilton: Geronimo Stilton is the editor in chief of The Rodent’s Gazette, the most famous daily newspaper on Mouse Island, but his true passion is to write books, which all become bestsellers. He likes to read books, he enjoys listening to classical music, plays golf, even collect antique, 18th century cheese rinds, of all things! He adores his work and his family, but he hates to travel, because he gets airsick, seasick and carsick. Nonetheless, he often gets involved by Thea and his relatives and friends in extreme situations and adventures all around the world.
Thea Stilton (Tea in original Italian version): Thea is Geronimo's youngest sister, a rodent with a professionally successful career, and unrepentant heart-breaker in her private life. A skilled photographer continuously in search of her latest scoop, Thea is ready to leave to exciting adventure at the mere drop of a word, and punctually returns with sensational articles and photos. She rides a motorcycle, flies a plane, loves racing cars, is a certified parachute jumper, holds a black belt in karate, and teaches survival courses. Thea can also be frivolous and teasingly spiteful, and loves the latest fashions. She has her own series, also the writer of her own series in collaboration with Geronimo, about her friends at Mouseford Academy. She is a special correspondent for The Rodent's Gazette.
Trap Stilton (Trappola in original Italian version): Trap is Geronimo's annoying cousin. He is always eating all of Geronimo's food, hence his largely rounded appearance. Trap is called obnoxious in most of the Geronimo Stilton books but appears as a very interesting character. Trap believes that he is a good cook, but Geronimo thinks otherwise. Trap is loud and obnoxious, and he always wants money. He lets Geronimo do all the work. Trap always does pranks on Geronimo, and is always signing Geronimo up for things that he does not like to do. He also has friends all over New Mouse City. He owns a shop called Cheap Junk for Less, and is living in an old train car called the Orient Express (as seen in the 32nd book, "Valley of the Giant Skeletons").
Benjamin Stilton: Benjamin is Geronimo's favorite, 9-year-old nephew. Benjamin is a sweet, polite boy. His teacher at school is Miss Angel Paws, and his best friends are Sakura and Oliver. He has a great curiosity and is surprisingly enterprising. He is always very busy jotting notes on his notepad during other adventures. His dream is to work alongside with his uncle as a successful journalist in the future. Benjamin is Geronimo's favorite rodent and is a needed character in the books. Whenever Geronimo doesn't agree about anything, only Benjamin's pleading look is needed to make him agree.
Petunia Pretty Paws (Patty Spring in original Italian version and graphic novel): Petunia Pretty Paws is Geronimo's nature loving friend. She has her own TV show. Geronimo has a major crush on her and is afraid to admit it. Petunia Pretty Paws aims to protect nature with her brother Wolfgang Wildpaws. She has a liking towards Geronimo.
Bugsy Wugsy (Pandora Woz in original Italian version and graphic novel): Bugsy Wugsy is Petunia Pretty Paws' favorite niece. She has a crush on Benjamin.
Hercule Poirat (Ficcanaso Squitt in original Italian version; Nosymouse Squeak in graphic novel): Hercule Poirat is Geronimo's mystery-loving friend. He is always pleading with Geronimo to try bananas, but Geronimo thinks otherwise. Hercule is considered to be a Master of Disguise and is one of the many rodents who likes Geronimo's sister Thea. He also appears in the 3rd graphic novel. His name comes from Agatha Christie's detective character Hercule Poirot.
Grandfather William Shortpaws (Torquato Travolgiratti in original Italian version): Geronimo's grandfather, a.k.a. "Cheap Mouse Willy" ("Grandpa Tank" in graphic novel), is a loud, strict and stingy rodent. He was the founder of The Rodent's Gazette. He listens to whatever Thea says and is always forcing Geronimo to do stuff he does not want to do. His real name is William Shortpaws, but before he was introduced as a character, the inside list of members of The Rodent's Gazette had his character shown as being named "Maximilian Mousemower". He is a major penny pincher and always loves to save money.
Aunt Sweetfur (Zia Lippa in original Italian version): Aunt Sweetfur is Geronimo's sweet, loving aunt. Aunt Sweetfur has introduced Geronimo to reading and intrigued him to love reading and run a newspaper.
Professor Paws von Volt (Professor Amperio Volt in original Italian version): Professor Paws von Volt is one of Geronimo's closest friends. He is an inventor, and, among other things, creates a giant robotic cat. In the graphic novel he also invents a time machine called the Speedrat, capable for the Stilton family to foil the Pirate Cats' plans. He conducts many dangerous experiments and is always traveling places secretly. He changes the location of his lab frequently.
Sally Ratmousen (Sally Rasmaussen in original Italian version): Sally Ratmousen is the publisher of The Daily Rat, and also Geronimo's number one enemy. She would do anything to publish the oddest thing before The Rodent's Gazette does!
The Shadow (Ombra in original Italian version): The Shadow is New Mouse City's most wanted thief. She is always stealing stuff and Geronimo encountered her on several adventures, such as in The Mummy with No Name, The Mysterious Cheese Thief, Valley of the Giant Skeletons and The Giant Diamond Robbery. She is also Sally Ratmousen's cousin.
Pinky Pick: Creator of the Fur Kids Only magazine for The Rodent's Gazette. Although she is only 14-years-old, and is extremely annoying, Geronimo keeps her because she is brilliant and always comes up with creative ideas. She is Geronimo Stilton's assistant.
Creepella von Cacklefur (Tenebrosa Tenebrax in original Italian version): Creepella is a rodent who lives in Mysterious Valley. She has a crush on Geronimo and instead of a car, she drives in a hearse. She is also the writer of her own series in collaboration with Geronimo.
Boris von Cacklefur (Sotterrasorci Tenebrax in original Italian version): Creepella's strange father. He loves making tombs for dead rodents. Whenever Boris sees Geronimo, he always asks him for a tomb.
Aunt Sugarfur (Zia Margarina in original Italian version): Aunt Sugarfur is another one of Geronimo's favorite aunts. She used to work in the most biggest bakery in the whole world. Uncle Kindpaws (Zio Mascarpone in original Italian version) works in a toy shop down the street. They have two daughters that are twins named Squeakette and Squeaky. Geronimo's favorite thing about Aunt Sugarfur is that she always has a chocolate muffin in her bag for Geronimo.
Champ Strongpaws: An all-around star athlete. He's into the latest training trends. Champ works for a sports radio station, and loves to get lazy rodents up and running.
Tina Spicytail: The large and stout cook of Geronimo's Grandfather William. She cooks Grandfather William's food.
Bruce Hyena: A very brave friend of Geronimo. He is a super sporty rodent, and he is the rodent mice would want him by their side if there were any emergencies.
Tersilla Catardone: One of the 3 main antagonists in the graphic novel series and the book "The Grand Invasion of Topaz" (please note that Topaz is the Italian version of New Mouse City, and the book is not translated to English yet). Although she's the daughter of the ruler of the pirate cats, Catardone III, she's actually the true ruler and she seems to be the brain of the team. Evil and very sneaky, her biggest dream is to rule the world by traveling to the past and changing the course of history along with her father and their assistant, Bonzo Cat, for their own advantages, but Geronimo and the gang always stop them from doing so (by uncovering their masks literally, for the pirate cats wear mouse masks to blend in). She also disguised as Thea Stilton in the 6th graphic novel and unmasked herself, similar to the idea of The Shadow in disguising Karina von Fossilsnout in "Valley of the Giant Skeletons". She also wants to destroy Geronimo and his gang.
Catardone III: One of the 3 main antagonists in the graphic novel series and the book "The Grand Invasion of Topaz". Although he's the leader of the pirate cats, he's proven to be slow-witted and extremely bossy when it comes to telling Bonzo Cat (their assistance) what to do and how. Also, his biggest dream is similar to his daughter's.
Bonzo Cat: One of the 3 main antagonists in the graphic novel series and the book "The Grand Invasion of Topaz". He's proven to be even more slow-witted than Catardone III, but sometimes he seems to have good suggestions and has an extremely good memory (proven in the 3rd graphic novel). He's also the traveling assistant of Catardone III and Tersilla, and also probably their servant.
Geronimo Stilton books
- #1: Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye (February 2004)
- #2: The Curse of the Cheese Pyramid (February 2004)
- #3: Cat and Mouse in a Haunted House (February 2004)
- #4: I'm Too Fond of My Fur! (February 2004)
- #5: Four Mice Deep in the Jungle (March 2004)
- #6: Paws Off, Cheddarface! (April 2004)
- #7: Red Pizzas for a Blue Count (May 2004)
- #8: Attack of the Bandit Cats (June 2004)
- #9: Four Mice in the Black Jungle (July 2004)
- #10: All Because of a Cup of Coffee (August 2004)
- #11: It's Halloween, You 'Fraidy Mouse! (September 2004)
- #12: Merry Christmas, Geronimo! (October 2004)
- #13: The Phantom of the Subway (November 2004)
- #14: The Temple of the Ruby of Fire (December 2004)
- #15: The Mona Mousa Code (January 2005)
- #16: A Cheese-Colored Camper (February 2005)
- #17: Watch Your Whiskers, Stilton! (March 2005)
- #18: Shipwreck on the Pirate Islands (April 2005)
- #19: My Name is Stilton, Geronimo Stilton (May 2005)
- #20: Surf's Up, Geronimo! (June 2005)
- #21: The Wild, Wild West (July 2005)
- #22: The Secret of Cacklefur Castle (August 2005)
- #23: Valentine's Day Disaster (January 2006)
- #24: Field Trip to Niagara Falls (March 2006)
- #25: The Search for Sunken Treasure (June 2006)
- #26: The Mummy with No Name (August 2006)
- #27: The Christmas Toy Factory (October 2006)
- #28: Wedding Crasher (was originally Crazy Castle on the Hill) (January 2007)
- #29: Down and Out Down Under (March 2007)
- #30: The Mouse Island Marathon (June 2007)
- #31: The Mysterious Cheese Thief (August 2007)
- #32: Valley of the Giant Skeletons (January 2008)
- #33: Geronimo and the Gold Medal Mystery (April 2008)
- #34: Geronimo Stilton, Secret Agent (July 2008)
- #35: A Very Merry Christmas (September 2008)
- #36: Geronimo's Valentine (January 2009)
- #37: The Race Across America (April 2009)
- #38: A Fabumouse School Adventure (July 2009)
- #39: Singing Sensation (October 2009)
- #40: The Karate Mouse (January 2010)
- #41: Mighty Mount Kilimanjaro (April 2010)
- #42: The Peculiar Pumpkin Thief (July 2010)
- #43: I'm Not a Supermouse! (October 2010)
- #44: The Giant Diamond Robbery (January 2011)
- #45: Save the White Whale! (April 2011)
- #46: The Haunted Castle (July 2011)
- #47: Run for the Hills, Geronimo! (October 2011)
- #48: The Mystery in Venice (January 2012)
- #49: The Way of the Samurai (April 2012)
- A Christmas Tale (October 2005)
- Christmas Catastrophe (October 2007)
- The Kingdom of Fantasy (October 2009)
- The Quest for Paradise: The Return to the Kingdom of Fantasy (October 2010)
- The Amazing Voyage: The Third Adventure in the Kingdom of Fantasy (September 2011)
Thea Stilton books
- Thea Stilton and the Dragon's Code (April 2009)
- Thea Stilton and the Mountain of Fire (September 2009)
- Thea Stilton and the Ghost of the Shipwreck (March 2010)
- Thea Stilton and the Secret City (June 2010)
- Thea Stilton and the Mystery in Paris (November 2010)
- Thea Stilton and the Cherry Blossom Adventure (March 2011)
- Thea Stilton and the Star Castaways (June 2011)
- Thea Stilton: Big Trouble in the Big Apple (September 2011)
- Thea Stilton and the Ice Treasure (December 2011)
- Thea Stilton and the Secret of the Old Castle (March 2012)
- Thea Stilton and the Blue Scarab Hunt (June 2012)
Creepella von Cacklefur books
- The Thirteen Ghosts (August 2011)
- Meet Me in Horrorwood (August 2011)
- Ghost Pirate Treasure (February 2012)
- Return of the Vampire (May 2012)
Latest Book: #47: Run for the Hills, Geronimo!
So far, 48 books have been published in the series, 47 paperback novels plus a hardcover special edition entitled A Christmas Tale (published in October 2005). The latest paperback novel, Run for the Hills, Geronimo!, was published in October 2011. It is about Geronimo and his family going on a treasure hunt in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
As well, an eighth paperback special edition, entitled Thea Stilton: Big Trouble in the Big Apple, in which the Thea Sisters go on a trip to New York, was published in September 2011.
Future Books: #48: The Mystery in Venice
The 48th book in the series is titled The Mystery in Venice. It is about Geronimo going to Venice to answer someone's call for help, and is due for release in January 2012.
Graphic Novels by PapercutZ
As of September 2011, 8 English translations of the graphic novels have been published.
- The Discovery of America (August 18, 2009)
- The Secret of the Sphinx (August 18, 2009)
- The Coliseum Con (November 24, 2009)
- Following the Trail of Marco Polo (April 13, 2010)
- The Great Ice Age (July 6, 2010)
- Who Stole the Mona Lisa? (October 26, 2010)
- Dinosaurs in Action (February 1, 2011)
- Play it Again, Mozart! (September 13, 2011)
- The Weird Book Machine (January 31, 2012)
- Geronimo Stilton Saves the Olympics (May 22, 2012)
The characters of Geronimo Stilton also used their other names from the 2nd to the 6th novel.
The Secret of the Sphinx:
- Stiltons (land far from Egypt):
- Geronimo Stilton: Geron-Ankh-Amon
- Patty Spring: Pat-Nefret
- Trap: Rat-Trap
- Benjamin: Ben-Ja-Pet
- Pandora (originally Bugsy Wugsy): Pan-Do-Rat
- Pirate Cats (Priests and temple dancer of Goddess Bastet)
- Tersilla: Rat-Shepsut
- Catardone III: Cat-Sinuhe
- Bonzo: Bon-Zezet
- Characters of Ancient Egypt:
- Noble Vizier, Rat-Karue
- Chief Architect of Pharaoh, Ratty-Atum
- Pharaoh Chephren
- The Queen
- Pharaoh's Son, Micerino
The Coliseum Con:
- Geronimo: Geronimus Stiotonius
- Nosymouse Squeak (originally Hercule Poirat): Nosymousius Squeakius
- Thea, Benjamin and Pandora: Visitors
- Pirate Cats (Noble Family of Alexandria; Egypt, and worker):
- Tersilla: Licinia Mousilla / Matron
- Catardone III: Catardonius Catardicus
- Bonzo: Caius Bonzus
- Characters of Ancient Rome:
- Divine Emperor, Titus
- Architect, Flavianus Raticum
Following the Trail of Marco Polo:
- Stiltons (Venice merchants):
- Geronimo: Geronimo Stiltonin
- Patty: Patricia
- Trap: Trapolon
- Benjamin: Bemjamino
- Pandora: Pandorama
- Pirate Cats (Venice merchants):
- Tersilla: Ratilla Ratini
- Catardone III: Ratardone
- Bonzo: Ratonzo Raton
- Characters of Khanbalik Imperial Palace:
- Lord of Mongolian Empire, Kublai Khan
- Writer of Diary, Marco Polo
- Marco Polo's father, Niccolo Polo
- Marco Polo's uncle, Matteo Polo
- Official for Kublai Khan, Mouse-Chechung
The Great Ice Age:
- Geronimo: Geronimut Stiltonut
- Patty: Pattut
- Trap: Trapput
- Pirate Cats: Gods of Lightning
- Characters of the Wurm Glaciation:
- Leader of Tribe, Rat-Kun
- Children of Rat-Kun, Rat-Rat and Ratuk
- Rodents of Rat-Kun tribe
Who Stole the Mona Lisa?:
- Stiltons (Marseille merchants):
- Geronimo: Gerome Stiltoneaux
- Trap: Trapofalon
- Benjamin: Belmouse
- Pandora: Pandorette
- Pirate Cats (Marseille merchant and assistants)
- Tersilla: Thea (disguised)
- Catardone III: Catard of Cat
- Bonzo: Bonzeton Lebonze
- Characters of Amboise:
- Leonardo's servant, Battista
- Machine creator, Leonardo Da Vinci
- Francis I of France
There are also audio-cassette and CD versions of the Geronimo Stilton books published by Scholastic Audio Books. There are 3 stories in the first three collections (1-3, 4-6, 7-9), book 10 is sold singly, and the remaining books are sold in pairs (11-12, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18, 20-21, 22 and 24, 25-26). Books 1 through 10 are read by Edward Herrmann. Books 11-18, 20-22 and 24, and 25-26 are read by Bill Lobley.
An animated series of 26 episodes debuted in Belgium and the Netherlands on 21 September 2009. 
The Rodent's Gazette Online
The Rodent's Gazette is Geronimo Stilton's most "famouse" newspaper in New Mouse City. It is updated every few months, with stories based on Geronimo Stilton's latest books and adventures. It is also the official Geronimo Stilton website for English readers.
The editors at Scholastic have stopped writing more top stories since Spring 2006. In the meantime, however, the "Book Reviews" section of the site is still being updated, with summaries, book covers, and of course, reviews about each of Geronimo's latest adventures.
- (Multi-lingual) Official Geronimo Stilton website
- (English) Scholastic's official website
- (English) Papercutz official website for Geronimo Stilton graphic novels
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Geronimo Stilton — L auteur Geronimo Stilton déguisé sous les traits de son personnage, au Salon du livre de Paris Activités … Wikipédia en Français
Geronimo Stilton — Azulejo con la firma de Gerónimo Stilton en un muro de Alassio (Italia). Geronimo Stilton es una serie de libros para niños de 9 a 14 años creados por la escritora italiana Elisabetta Dami, que firma como el escr … Wikipedia Español
Geronimo (disambiguation) — See also Saint Jerome, San Jeronimo, Hieronymus for further disambiguation. Geronimo (also spelled Jeronimo) may refer to:People* Geronimo, the Chiricahua Apache leader * César Gerónimo, a Major League Baseball player * Gerónimo de Aguilar, a… … Wikipedia
Téa stilton — est le titre d une série de livres pour enfants originaire d Italie et de l’héroïne éponyme de cette série. Elle est publiée en français par Albin Michel Jeunesse, la version originale paraissant chez Edizioni Piemme de Milan. Cette série est… … Wikipédia en Français
Thea Stilton — is a character in the Geronimo Stilton series of books. She is an adventurous mouse, and younger sister of Geronimo. She is special correspondent to The Rodent s Gazette. She is very daring and loves nothing more than traveling and a good… … Wikipedia
Téa Stilton — est le titre d une série de livres pour enfants originaire d Italie et de l’héroïne éponyme de cette série. Elle est publiée en français par Albin Michel Jeunesse, la version originale paraissant chez Edizioni Piemme de Milan. Cette série est… … Wikipédia en Français
Джеронимо Стилтон — Джеронимо Стилтон, итал. Geronimo Stilton серия комиксов и детских книг, объединённых общим героем мышонком любителем приключений и одновременно псевдоним автора книг, итальянской писательницы Элизабетты Дами,… … Википедия
List of fictional mice and rats — This is a list of fictional mice and rats in alphabetical order. Mice, Rats, and Dormice Most of the Abbots/Abbesses in the Redwall series In Aesop s Fables, The Lion and the Mouse, The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse Abigail the wood mouse in… … Wikipedia
MoonScoop — Logo de MoonScoop Création 2003 Fondateurs Benoît et Christophe di Sabatino … Wikipédia en Français
Moonscoop — Création 1990 Fondateur(s) Benoît et Christophe di Sabatino … Wikipédia en Français