- Marking out
Marking out or layout is the process of transferring a design or pattern to a workpiece, as the first step in the manufacturing process. It is performed in many industries or hobbies although in the repetition industries the machine's initial setup is designed to remove the need to mark out every individual piece.
Marking out consists of transferring the dimensions from the plan to the workpiece in preparation for the next step, machining or manufacture.
Typical tools include:
- Surface plate or marking out table — provides a true surface from which to work
- Angle plates — assist in holding the workpiece perpendicular to the table
- Scriber — is the equivalent of a pen or pencil. It literally scratches the metal surface leaving behind a fine, bright line
- Height gauge or scribing block — allows lines to be scribed at a preset distance, from the tables surface
- Surface gage — an ungraduated comparison measuring tool that performs much the same function as the vernier height gage. It is often used in conjunction with a dial indicator and a precision height gage.
- Marking blue — to provide a usable writing surface by covering any existing scratches and providing a contrasting background
- Profile gauge
- Protractor — to assist in the transfer of angular measurements
- Combination square — an alternative tool for transferring angular measurements
- Square — to transfer 90° angles to the workpiece
- Punches — either prick or center punch to create permanent marks or dimples for drill bits to start in
- Automatic center punch — a spring-loaded punch that creates prick punch marks without the need for a ball peen hammer
- Ball peen hammer — used in conjunction with the punches to provide the striking blow needed
- Dividers or measuring compass — for creating circles or arcs
The "chalk" is actually a small pre-cut block of talc (soapstone). These talc blocks can be sharpened to a stronger point than the softer blackboard chalk. The color of the chalk provides good contrast against the dark color of the hot rolled steel that is generally used.
Metalworking Tools Cutting machines Cutting tools Forming tools Hand tools Machine tooling Measuring instrumentsBore gauge · Caliper · Center gauge · Comparator · Dial indicator · Engineer's blue · Feeler · Gauge · Gauge block · Go/no go gauge · Height gauge · Machinist square · Marking blue · Marking gauge · Marking out · Micrometer · Radius gauge · Scale · Sine bar · Spirit level · Straightedge · Surface plate · Tape measure · Thread pitch · Vernier scale Smithing tools
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Marking-out — Выделение (шрифтом); Разметка (оригинала) … Краткий толковый словарь по полиграфии
Marking out (disambiguation) — Marking out may refer to: Marking out, the process of transferring a design or layout on to a workpiece Marking out, When a fan or on screen talent (usually commentator) cheers with great enthusiasm This disambiguation page lists articles… … Wikipedia
Marking blue — Marking blue, layout stain or Prussian blue is a dye used in metalworking to aid in marking out rough parts for further machining. It is sometimes called Dykem (after a popular brand). It is used to stain or paint a metal object with a very thin… … Wikipedia
Marking gauge — Stanley and Veritas marking gauges A marking gauge, also known as a scratch gauge, is used in woodworking and metalworking to mark out lines for cutting or other operations. … Wikipedia
Marking — Contents 1 Animals 2 Lights 3 Linguistics 4 Sports … Wikipedia
marking knife — noun : a tool for marking out wood for sawing or chiseling … Useful english dictionary
Marking knife — A marking knife is a woodworking layout tool. It is used to scribe a line to be followed by a hand saw or chisel when making woodworking joints and other operations. Marking knives have a steel blade which is sharpened to a knife edge. The… … Wikipedia
Out of My Mind (Duran Duran song) — Out Of My Mind Single by Duran Duran from the album Medazzaland B side Sinner or Saint , Silva Halo … Wikipedia
Out of the Blue (Electric Light Orchestra album) — Out of the Blue Studio album by Electric Light Orchestra Released October 1977 … Wikipedia
Out In The Square — is the current incarnation of the annual Gay and Lesbian Fair that has been held each year in Wellington, New Zealand since 1986. It was founded by local Wellington personality Des Smith[disambiguation needed ], and its purpose originally… … Wikipedia