- Peter Gleick
Dr. Peter H. Gleick (born 1956) is a scientist working on issues related to the environment, economic development, and international security, with a focus on global
freshwaterchallenges. He works at the Pacific Institutein Oakland, California, which he co-founded in 1987. In 2003 he was awarded a MacArthur Fellowshipfor his work on water resources. Among the issues he has addressed are conflicts over water resources [http://www.worldwater.org/conflict.html] , the impacts of climate changeon water resources, the human right to water, and the problems of the billions of people without safe, affordable, and reliable water and sanitation.
Gleick received a B.S. from
Yale Universityand an M.S. and Ph.D. in Energy and Resources from the University of California, Berkeley. Gleick is the author of the biennial series on the state of the world's water, called "The World's Water", [http://www.islandpress.org/books/detail.html/SKU/1-59726-022-3] published by Island Press, Washington, D.C., regularly provides testimony to the United States Congressand state legislatures, and has published many scientific articles. He serves as a major source of information on water issues for the media, and has been featured on CNBC, CNN, Fresh Airwith Terry Gross[http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16654226] , NPR, and in articles in The New Yorker, [http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/10/23/061023fa_fact1?currentPage=1] and many other publications. He has also been featured in a wide range of water-related documentary films, including "Running Dry" [http://www.runningdry.org/welcome.html] and "Flow: For Love of Water" [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1149583/] , accepted for the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.
He currently lives in
Berkeley, California. He is the brother of noted author James Gleickand editor Elizabeth Gleick.
* 1999 Elected Academician of the International Water Academy, Oslo, Norway.
* 2001 Named by the
BBCas a "Visionary on the Environment" in its Essential Guide to the 21st Century.
* 2001 Appointed to Water Science and Technology Board of the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.
* 2003 MacArthur Fellow "Genius Award".
* 2005 Elected Fellow of the International Water Resources Association.
* 2006 Elected Fellow of the
American Association for the Advancement of Science.
* 2006 Elected Member of the
United States National Academy of Sciences.
* 2008 Selected to Present the
Abel WolmanDistinguished Lecture at the United States National Academy of Sciences, April 23, 2008, Washington, D.C.
* Peter H. Gleick (editor), Water in Crisis: A Guide to the World's Fresh Water Resources. Oxford University Press, New York, 1993.
* Peter H. Gleick, "The World's Water 1998-1999: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources." Island Press, Washington D.C., 1998.
* Peter H. Gleick, "The World's Water 2000-2001: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources." Island Press, Washington D.C., 2000.
* Peter H. Gleick and associates, "The World's Water 2002-2003: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources." Island Press, Washington D.C., 2002.
* Peter H. Gleick and associates, "The World's Water 2004-2005: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources." Island Press, Washington D.C., 2004.
* Peter H. Gleick and associates, "The World's Water 2006-2007: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources." Island Press, Washington D.C., 2006.
* Peter H. Gleick and associates, "The World's Water 2008-2009: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources." Island Press, Washington D.C., 2008 (In Press for publication, late 2008).
Peter is featured in
Irena Salina's feature documentary .
* [http://www.pacinst.org Pacific Institute]
* [http://www.pacinst.org/about_us/staff_board/gleick/ Peter Gleick's website, Biography, CV, publications, photos]
* [http://www.worldwater.org The World's Water] ; Peter Gleick's water site
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Peter Gilliver — Infobox Writer name = Peter Gilliver imagesize = 100 caption = pseudonym = birthdate = birth date|1964|6|14|mf=y birthplace = deathdate = deathplace = occupation = Lexicographer nationality = British period = genre = subject = movement = spouse … Wikipedia
Environmental security — The definition of international security has been debated extensively by political scientists and others, and has varied over time. After World War II, definitions typically focused on the subject of realpolitik that developed during the Cold War … Wikipedia
Environmental terrorism — is the unlawful destruction of resources in order to deprive others of its use.HistoryIn recent years, individuals and governments have become concerned about the possible increased threat of terrorism in new and dangerous forms. Yet traditional… … Wikipedia
The Skeptical Environmentalist — Infobox Book name = The Skeptical Environmentalist: Measuring the Real State of the World title orig = Verdens Sande Tilstand translator = image caption = author = Bjørn Lomborg illustrator = cover artist = country = language = series = subject … Wikipedia
Pacific Institute — The Pacific Institute (full legal name: the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security) is a non profit research institute created in 1987 to provide independent research and policy analysis on issues at the… … Wikipedia
MacArthur Fellows Program — For the award in the field of ecology, see Robert H. MacArthur Award. The MacArthur Fellows Program or MacArthur Fellowship (nicknamed the Genius Award) is an award given by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation each year to typically … Wikipedia
Liste der MacArthur Fellows — Die MacArthur Fellowship ist eine von der John D. und Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation vergebene Auszeichnung, verbunden mit einem fünfjährigen Stipendium. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Liste der MacArthur Fellows 1.1 1981 1.2 1982 1.3 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Glick — Glick, a Yiddish variation of the German word Glück, is a surname, and may refer to: * Alexis Glick, a national television personality who was a temporary host for the third hour of NBC s Today Show in 2006 *Alex Glick, a boy who, via charity… … Wikipedia
List of climate scientists — Climate scientists study the statistics of the Earth s temperature (top) and precipitation (bottom) for a better understanding of the climate system. This list of climate scientists contains famous or otherwise notable persons who have contribute … Wikipedia
Human security — is an emerging paradigm for understanding global vulnerabilities whose proponents challenge the traditional notion of national security by arguing that the proper referent for security should be the individual rather than the state. Human… … Wikipedia