- The Barclays
The Barclays Tournament information Location Varies – Edison, New Jersey in 2011 Established 1967 Course(s) Varies – Plainfield Country Club in 2011 Par 71 in 2010 Length 7,400 yards in 2011 Tour(s) PGA Tour Format Stroke play Prize fund $8,000,000 Month played August Tournament record score Aggregate 261 Bob Gilder (1982) To par -19 Johnny Miller (1974)
-19 Bob Gilder (1982)
-19 Dustin Johnson (2011)
Current champion Dustin Johnson
The Barclays is a golf tournament on the PGA Tour.
The tournament began in 1967 as the Westchester Classic and was played at the Westchester Country Club in Westchester County, New York. Beginning in 1976 it underwent a series of name sponsorships (detailed below), not unlike other PGA Tour stops. The name of the event evolved to the point that, by 1990, it no longer contained the name of its host course or location. However, among golfers on tour and many fans, it was still known by its traditional name, "The Westchester".
The tournament was usually played during June of each year, either the week before (in even-numbered years) or the week after (in odd-numbered years) the U.S. Open. It had its greatest attendance in 2001 when Tiger Woods participated, although two days of heavy rains disrupted play. It had one of its more exciting finishes in 2005, when Pádraig Harrington eagled the par-5 18th hole with a 65-foot putt to win the title. The most frequent winner of the tournament is Vijay Singh, with four trophies.
Starting in 2007, the tournament took on its current name and was played in late August, to lead off the PGA Tour's new playoff system for the FedEx Cup. Beginning in 2008 it left the Westchester Country Club and began being rotated amongst different clubs in the New York metropolitan area (also detailed below).
Five men have won the The Barclays more than once through 2011.
- 4 wins
- Vijay Singh: 1993, 1995, 2006, 2008
- 2 wins
Year Edition Course City State Dates Times Hosted 2012 46th Bethpage State Park, Black Course Farmingdale New York August TBA Never 2013 47th Liberty National Golf Club Jersey City New Jersey August TBA 2009 2014 48th Ridgewood Country Club Paramus New Jersey August TBA 2008, 2010 2015 49th Plainfield Country Club Edison New Jersey August TBA 2011 2016 50th Bethpage State Park, Black Course Farmingdale New York August TBA Never
- ^ "Beard Cans Birdie On Final Hole For Title". Lodi News-Sentinel. UPI (Lodi, California): p. 8. August 4, 1969. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=iOszAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2zIHAAAAIBAJ&pg=4364,3000600&dq=westchester+golf+beard&hl=en. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- ^ "'Loose Moose' Grabs Westchester Win Away From Murphy". Daytona Beach Morning Journal. AP (Daytona Beach, Florida): p. 15. August 19, 1968. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=92weAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iMkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1370,4524665&dq=westchester+golf+boros&hl=en. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- ^ "Army Didn't Bug Me -- Jack". The Free Lance–Star. AP (Fredericksburg, Virginia): p. 22. August 31, 1967. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=3XAQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6IoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4983,6257938&dq=westchester+golf+nicklaus&hl=en. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- ^ The Barclays – Winners – at www.pgatour.com
- ^ The Barclays – Winners – at golfobserver.com (1970–2009)
- ^ Sal Johnson and Dave Seanor, ed (2009). The USA Today Golfers Encyclopedia. New York, New York: Skyhorse Publishing. ISBN 978-60239-302-8.
- 4 wins
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.