- Marshall Islands at the 2008 Summer Olympics
Marshall Islands at the Olympic Games
Flag of the Marshall Islands – Flag bearers
IOC code MHL NOC Marshall Islands National Olympic Committee At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing Competitors 5 in 3 sports Flag bearer Waylon Muller Medals Gold
Olympic history (summary) Summer Games 2008
Athletes representing the Marshall Islands participated in four different events. Anju Jason was the first Marshallese athlete ever to qualify for the Olympic Games. He represented his country in Taekwondo. Jared Heine is a swimmer and competed in the 100 meter backstroke. In Athletics, the nation was represented by Roman Cress who ran in the Men's 100 metres. Haley Nemra also represented the Marshall Islands running in the Women's 800 metres. Nemra, whose father is a native Marshallese, is a University of San Francisco student who has never been to the country.
Marshall Islands is a Micronesian island nation, located in the western Pacific Ocean midway between Hawaii and Australia. The island has a population of approximately 60,000. The island nation was controlled by the United States, and prior to that by Japan and Germany at different times in its history, until gaining its sovereignty. In 1979, the Government of the Marshall Islands was officially established and the country became self-governing. In 1986 the Compact of Free Association with the United States entered into force, granting the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) its sovereignty. The island nation is made up of twenty-nine atolls and five single islands.
The Marshall Islands created its National Olympic Committee in 2001, and gained International Olympic Committee recognition in 2007 during the IOC's on February 12, 2007. The admittance of Marshall Islands, along with Montenegro (who participated as Serbia and Montenegro at the 2004 Summer Olympics) and Tuvalu brings the total number of nations competing in the 2008 Olympics to 205.
Athlete Events Heat Quarterfinal Semifinal Final Result Rank Result Rank Result Rank Result Rank Roman William Cress Men's 100 m 11.18 72 Did not advance Haley Nemra Women's 800 m 2:18.83 38 Did not advance Athlete Events Heat Semifinal Final Time Rank Time Rank Time Rank Jared J Heine Men's 100 m backstroke 58.86 42 Did not advance Julianne Kirchner Women's 50 m freestyle 30.42 75 Did not advance
Athlete Event Round of 16 Quarterfinals Semifinals Repechage
Anju Jason −80 kg Aaron Cook (GBR)
Did not advance
- ^ "Panda Express' Anju Jason Qualifies for Beijing Olympics". Panda Express. July 17, 2008. http://www.yokwe.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2231. Retrieved 2008-08-01.
- ^ Weiner, Jay (May 8, 2008). "Runner's Olympic dream coming true -- 8 years late". MinnPost. http://www.minnpost.com/stories/2008/05/08/1776/runners_olympic_dream_coming_true_--_8_years_late. Retrieved 2008-08-01.
- ^ Raley Dan (July 31, 2008). "Marshall Islands sends Washington student to Olympics". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2008/07/31/sports/doc4891ffb076262011482845.txt. Retrieved 2008-08-01.
- ^ a b "2008 Summer Olympics Country Profile". NBCOlympics.com. http://www.nbcolympics.com/countries/country=mhl/index.html. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- ^ "Marshall Islands Ready to Join Olympics". SFGate. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2006/02/05/sports/s055302S99.DTL&type=printable. Retrieved 2008-08-01. [dead link]
- ^ "Two new National Olympic Committees on board!". International Olympic Committee. 2007-07-06. http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_news/full_story_uk.asp?id=2237. Retrieved 2007-07-08. ""the number of National Olympic Committees across the globe now totals 205""
Nations at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China Africa America Asia Europe Oceania
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cook Islands at the 2008 Summer Olympics — Cook Islands at the Olympic Games Flag of the Cook Islands – Flag bear … Wikipedia
New Zealand at the 2008 Summer Olympics — New Zealand at the Olympic Games Flag of New Zealand – Flag bearers … Wikipedia
Czech Republic at the 2008 Summer Olympics — Czech Republic at the Olympic Games Flag of the Czech Republic – … Wikipedia
Netherlands Antilles at the 2008 Summer Olympics — Netherlands Antilles at the Olympic Games Flag of the Neth … Wikipedia
Chinese Taipei at the 2008 Summer Olympics — Chinese Taipei at the Olympic Games Ch … Wikipedia
North Korea at the 2008 Summer Olympics — North Korea at the Olympic Games Flag of North Korea – Flag bearers … Wikipedia
Dominican Republic at the 2008 Summer Olympics — Dominican Republic at the Olympic Games Flag of the Dominican … Wikipedia
DR Congo at the 2008 Summer Olympics — DR Congo at the Olympic Games Fla … Wikipedia
Costa Rica at the 2008 Summer Olympics — Costa Rica at the Olympic Games Flag of Costa Rica – Flag bearers … Wikipedia
Netherlands at the 2008 Summer Olympics — Netherlands at the Olympic Games Flag of the Netherlands – Flag bearers … Wikipedia